Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Terrible news:

His performance in Everwood is one of my favorite TV performances ever (he plays the best TV dad next to Peter Gallagher in The OC) and is kinda the reason the show works. Also loved him in Deep Rising. RIP

Freaking British Airways cancelled my wife's flight 4 hours before takeoff. Luckily we were just about to leave for the airport and hadn't started our drive yet. Had to rebook them on an international flight for tomorrow through customer care which took like half my day.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Whoever is saying no to GdT projects: fuck you. I love his animation output but losing films of one of the best directors always stings.

That is the problem with being a filmmaker: even on an indie film level, you probably do not have enough money to make your film, you have to convince other people to invest; and patron of the arts who don't care about getting their money back are few and far between.

I think amost every filmmaker envies Francis Coppola for being rich enough to be able to self finance "Megalopolis" but that very seldom happens.

No solution,  really. You can't force people to invest theri money fi they don't want to,and studios first duty is to their stockholders, not to be patrons of the art.I do not see that changing.

I still hope somehow Del Toro can find the money fot "The Mountians of Madness" HP Lovecraft is very hard to bring to the screen but if anybody could pull it off it would be Del Toro. It is interesting that the only Lovecraft story to be a screen sucess was 'The Reanimator" and that was not part of Lovecraft's main work the Cthuluhu Mythos.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 2:11 PM, grim22 said:

Freaking British Airways cancelled my wife's flight 4 hours before takeoff. Luckily we were just about to leave for the airport and hadn't started our drive yet. Had to rebook them on an international flight for tomorrow through customer care which took like half my day.

Dropped off the wife and kids after a crazy 24 hours. LAX dropoff is definitely not for the faint of heart.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Dropped off the wife and kids after a crazy 24 hours. LAX dropoff is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I hate LAX with a passion. When I have t fly to Socal, I try to use other airports and then rent a car to get to where I am going.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn The new Hole in the Wall blew up ratings-wise :ohmygod:

Nostalgia sells. It also helps it had famous people as the contestants. I didn't see it because I was tired and fell asleep in the couch.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 12:16 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Sounds grim...

It is grim.The only option is hoping the US Navy get involved with one of it's deep sea rescue ships.

Of couse the sad part is they mgith already be dead if the sub Imploded.

Only good think is they might cause people to tkae a second look at this high risk tourism industary. Some enviroments are just extremaly dangerous by nature and should only be entered by those with legititmate business there; Outer Space and the Deep Ocean certainly qualify. Thye should only be explored by the professionals, not a bunch of rich thrillseekers.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It is grim.The only option is hoping the US Navy get involved with one of it's deep sea rescue ships.

Of couse the sad part is they mgith already be dead if the sub Imploded.

Only good think is they might cause people to tkae a second look at this high risk tourism industary. Some enviroments are just extremaly dangerous by nature and should only be entered by those with legititmate business there; Outer Space and the Deep Ocean certainly qualify. Thye should only be explored by the professionals, not a bunch of rich thrillseekers.

Going to the bottom of the ocean has inherent danger, but they were not exactly equipped like James Cameron....

Here's that whole segment:

The reporter (David Pogue) says that on this excursion last year, the submersible lost contact with the ship for 5 hours and the ship's internet was cut off to prevent anyone from tweeting about it. He says the company told them it was about keeping channels of communication open during an emergency (the sub was able to send short texts). Uh huh. I bet this time,  they thought the Titan would just turn up again soon enough, so they held off on calling outside authorities for hours. 

16 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Going to the bottom of the ocean has inherent danger, but they were not exactly equipped like James Cameron....

Here's that whole segment:

The reporter (David Pogue) says that on this excursion last year, the submersible lost contact with the ship for 5 hours and the ship's internet was cut off to prevent anyone from tweeting about it. He says the company told them it was about keeping channels of communication open during an emergency (the sub was able to send short texts). Uh huh. I bet this time,  they thought the Titan would just turn up again soon enough, so they held off on calling outside authorities for hours. 

These guys never would have made it through New London,COnnectuit.. (that is where the US Navy trains it Submariners. It has a high washout rate.

• Like 1