Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

Man, you are waaaaay too invested in this movie. :lol: 

It's an issue I have with a lot of the lesser American animated studios too. Difference here is I had higher expectations.

I get how ridiculous this all sounds to you, but I know no one else is going to talk about it here and I appreciate that I'm at least not being outright dismissed on the subject. It may be a weird fandom, but it's still a fandom and I don't think I'm any worse than how the Star Wars fans are reacting to TLJ. 

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's an issue I have with a lot of the lesser American animated studios too. Difference here is I had higher expectations.

I get how ridiculous this all sounds to you, but I know no one else is going to talk about it here and I appreciate that I'm at least not being outright dismissed on the subject. It may be a weird fandom, but it's still a fandom and I don't think I'm any worse than how the Star Wars fans are reacting to TLJ. 

Well, I'd say that the difference is that SW is broad and aimed at that "8-80" demo. TMP might incidentally be interesting to a subset of adults, but they're aimed at a pre-teen demo and have always been so. Using Octonauts as an example again, I think you could probably retool it to be cool and/or interesting to teen and 20-something guys (underwater adventures! cat pirates! Octopus professors!) but if someone makes an Octonauts movie and sticks to the extremely basic toddler-level stories, I'm not gonna hold that against them because that is their key demo, and it's what they should focus on. Not me.

If your quibble is you don't think the movie got as interesting or deep thematically as the series, isn't that basically the issue with any movie (based on a series) ever?

1 minute ago, Lor San Tele said:

Well, I'd say that the difference is that SW is broad and aimed at that "8-80" demo. TMP might incidentally be interesting to a subset of adults, but they're aimed at a pre-teen demo and have always been so. Using Octonauts as an example again, I think you could probably retool it to be cool and/or interesting to teen and 20-something guys (underwater adventures! cat pirates! Octopus professors!) but if someone makes an Octonauts movie and sticks to the extremely basic toddler-level stories, I'm not gonna hold that against them because that is their key demo, and it's what they should focus on. Not me.

If your quibble is you don't think the movie got as interesting or deep thematically as the series, isn't that basically the issue with any movie (based on a series) ever?

Not necessarily. The Simpsons Movie certainly aimed for more dramatic depth than the series (YMMV on whether it worked or not), as did the Shaun the Sheep Movie; which managed to do that while still being entirely kid-friendly. In this movie's case I'd say it attempted to, but the execution was so sloppy that it felt forced and left no impact.