Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Maybe I'm just regressive while being progressive. I just think it's weird. What does a 24 year old have in common with  a 17 year old? It's just strange. It's not an issue with it being these two dudes either I've ragged like hell on the hip hop community I post on sometimes because Tyga was dating a 17 year old. 

Edited by Cmasterclay

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

lol i'm not even on clay's team either but this is a bad defense. it's ok because the kid initiates it?????? 

What I'm saying is that if there's a "predator" in this story (their isn't), it's Elio.

Whatever. Not interested in getting into a heated debate about this.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What I'm saying is that if there's a "predator" in this story (their isn't), it's Elio.

That's uh, not how that works. And I'm not saying he's a predator. I'm saying it's weird. It'd be legal for me to date (or, uh, have a fling with) a 17 year old girl, but it'd be weird as hell and I would expect my friends to tell me it's weird, personally. 

And please don't think I'm insulting you or your taste for liking the movie. Gopher's my buddy outside these boards and he thought it was the greatest thing ever. @aabattery is probably my favorite poster here and he loved it. I like David Ehrlich and he of course went insane for it. Not a reflection on people liking it. Hell, I thought some things were fine about the movie. But for me, PERSONALLY, it was weird. The central relationship is weird. Someone my age should not be fucking teenagers. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

It's not a regressive attitude to be against age gaps, if anything it is progressive. Years and years ago large age gaps were perfectly normal. 

Romeo & Juliet is the ultimate love story right? People seem to forget that Juliet was 13 while Romeo was a grown man. But still we refer to Romeo and Juliet all the time.

and now this thread is going dark too.  wth?  a big movie get a big preview and everyone is negative there, even some of the "supporters" are being poor winners and everything is crap there.  and  now we have sexual predators talk in this thread?  what a way to start a weekend  lol

geez, maybe I should just stay  in the help and support threads  :P 

Edited by 75Live

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there was a 15 yr old girl in my school who got knocked up by a teacher but i know she did the initial come on so I GUESS to filmlover's mind she's the predator in that situation?

lol you're fucking kidding me, right? Of course I see nothing right there.

All I have to say is that I see nothing "wrong" or "creepy" about Call Me by Your Name's central relationship and leave it at that.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

It's not a regressive attitude to be against age gaps, if anything it is progressive. Years and years ago large age gaps were perfectly normal. 

Romeo & Juliet is the ultimate love story right? People seem to forget that Juliet was 13 while Romeo was a grown man. But still we refer to Romeo and Juliet all the time.

bet you carry around a laminated version of this post for every time you introduce people to your child girlfriend

latest?cb=20161217191539

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

@CoolioD1 I'm curious where you are on this, I know you aren't on my team but you also kinda said it was weird in another topic a while ago so I'm just wondering. 

Also this debate is probably dumb and you're probably too smart for it so feel free to ignore this completely. 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

@CoolioD1 I'm curious where you are on this, I know you aren't on my team but you also kinda said it was weird in another topic a while ago so I'm just wondering. 

Also this debate is probably dumb and you're probably too smart for it so feel free to ignore this completely. 

i think conceptually i have no problem with it but i agree that the casting is off.

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Casting Armie Hammer as 24 was always dodgy.

He doesn't look any older in CMBYN than he did in The Social Network (he was 23 during the filming of it) seven years prior and he was playing a college student in that. He's just built in a way few men are, even I would be the first to admit I look like a shrimp next to him.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think conceptually i have no problem with it but i agree that the casting is off.

Yea maybe this is my biggest problem. All I was thinking the entire movie was the line in 22 Jump Street when Ice Cube says "No you dumb motherfucker, you look like you're about 50." Speaking of Jump Street I guess I had no issue with Jonah Hill dating Brie Larsen when I saw it. and I love those movies. But now that I think about it....maybe it was weird and I should be weirded out? I don't know, at least that movie was literally addressing grown men being in high school dead on, maybe that's why I didn't think about it. I guess what really set me off is all the people saying "well, he's only 24" because that's how old I am so it made me think hmmmmmm what would I say about this IRL?