boxofficeth

Wknd Est. Feb. 24-26

Sometimes films actually exceed their budgets, and still fail to make any sort of impact. An actor's name is not put above the title of a 40 million dollar film so it grosses 50 million, you know what I'm saying? They expect 'stars' to draw in large crowds. Amanda is being groomed and positioned by studios as the next box office sweetheart, a girl-next-door with cross-gender appeal, but it's not working, clearly. Even in sappy romantic dramas, she is 1 out of 2. (Dear John's success, by the way, had more to do with Channing Tatum's appeal to teenage girls than anything else)

Edited by Cochofles

Red riding hood was a FLOP. It basically copied the Twilight style and it grossed 37 million DOM, LOL.

The budget was only 42M (I was wrong when I mentioned earlier that it exceeded the DOM budget). It hit 89M WW, and then Warner Bros. or Box Office Mojo, not sure which one, stopped calculating its WW, even though it still had a few markets. Ultimately, it probably came close to 100M, but even at 89M, again, that's doubling the budget, and then some, and that is just NOT a flop. But perhaps I just have a bad definition of the word "flop". I thought it was sort of defined as a movie as that LOST money, not a movie that MADE money.

Sometimes films actually exceed their budgets, and still fail to make any sort of impact. An actor's name is not put above the title of a 40 million dollar film so it grosses 50 million, you know what I'm saying? They expect 'stars' to draw in large crowds. Amanda is being groomed and positioned by studios as the next box office sweetheart, a girl-next-door with cross-gender appeal, but it's not working, clearly. Even in sappy romantic dramas, she is 1 out of 2. (Dear John's success, by the way, had more to do with Channing Tatum's appeal to teenage girls than anything else)

I agree with you. I did think she was excellent in Chloe. Thought that she was terrible in RRH, though that was probably a case of her adequately performing her role as set forth by the director. I'll blame Hardwicke for that one.

Her movies do well enough for her age. She's only 26yo and she's headlining movies on her own. Even though they are not big hits, the studios see the potential. She's very talented imo and has great potential to improve and become a respected actress. I said she may become the new Meryl. And she was great in Mamma Mia. Very charming performance, But this forum thinks Kristen Stewart is a good actress. LMAO Can you imagine her pulling off Amanda's role in mamma mia? a joke...

Agh, Gone flopped. But on the bright side, Amanda Seyfried is probably the only actress her age who studios trust to headline movies on her own on the regular. Older, more proven actresses need male co-stars. She has talent and her box office appeal, while limited for now, can expand. I'm gonna use big words, but she may be the next Meryl Streep, but with more BO pull. B)

She is talented enough in her own way and I guess she does have some appeal but she is not even on Meryl Streep's level in box office pull or in terms of talent. It's not like the films she makes call for any nuanced dramatic acting. The next Meryl Streep? Nah. But she is carving a nice little niche for herself in the business in her own lane. Edited by ECSTASY

She is talented enough in her own way and I guess she does have some appeal but she is not even on Meryl Streep's level in box office pull or in terms of talent. It's not like the films she makes call for any nuanced dramatic acting. The next Meryl Streep? Nah. But she is carving a nice little niche for herself in the business in her own lane.

At 26 yo, Meryl had her first movie role (a voice part). It's a little crazy. I didn't even know she started so late.All i'm saying is that Amanda S has potential. I see talent. That's all

When Seyfried was on Letterman didn't she say when she signed on for Gone it was supposed to be a small independant film?Amanda certainly is talented enough, but she doesn't seem to be interested in being a big star so she makes some odd choices for movies.

Agh, Gone flopped. But on the bright side, Amanda Seyfried is probably the only actress her age who studios trust to headline movies on her own on the regular. Older, more proven actresses need male co-stars. She has talent and her box office appeal, while limited for now, can expand. I'm gonna use big words, but she may be the next Meryl Streep, but with more BO pull. B)

That's the craziest thing I've read in a while, are you her agent? Her acting isn't even remotely close to being as good as Streep. Also, I'm not sure how much studios are going to let her headline movies anymore now.

I hope she has success too. FTF is right that she's not the greatest actress but she's really likable.

So early on the knee-jerk reaction by those who see a value in being "first" proclaimed Red Tails a flop. That film is going to be a disapointment but not a flop.

Then those same posters jumped on Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance and that is not collapsing.

Finally! Third times the charm though. It does seem Gone, opening at #8 with $5m is indeed a FLOP. Unless the budget is $15m but it's not posted. Gone looks to indeed be the first wide opener to be a flop out of the gate.

So early on the knee-jerk reaction by those who see a value in being "first" proclaimed Red Tails a flop. That film is going to be a disapointment but not a flop.

Then those same posters jumped on Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance and that is not collapsing.

Red Tails was a flop and Ghost Rider is collapsing
  • Like 1