boxofficeth

Wknd Est. Feb. 24-26

So early on the knee-jerk reaction by those who see a value in being "first" proclaimed Red Tails a flop. That film is going to be a disapointment but not a flop.

Then those same posters jumped on Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance and that is not collapsing.

Finally! Third times the charm though. It does seem Gone, opening at #8 with $5m is indeed a FLOP. Unless the budget is $15m but it's not posted. Gone looks to indeed be the first wide opener to be a flop out of the gate.

Are you being purposefully daft?

Red Tails was an overperfomer for outopening people's expectations but a $58m budget means in the big picture it's a flop. Studios don't recoup all the box office so even a movie making more than its budget can still lose money, Red Tails won't make back its budget, it's a flop.

Ghost Rider not collapsing? In the last year 5 movies fell more than 70%. Dylan Dog, Mighty Macs and Bucky Larson are part of that three. The other two, were the Devil Inside which made 53x its production budget and Deathly Hallows 2. Throwing arbitrary numbers out just because you like the crap that GR2 offered up does not mean the facts change. Getting 40% of Ghost Rider's admissions is considered a success. That's what they wanted when they greenlit it. That's what they wanted when they reduced the budget and then lied about it. Yeah.

• Like 2

Are you being purposefully daft?Red Tails was an overperfomer for outopening people's expectations but a $58m budget means in the big picture it's a flop. Studios don't recoup all the box office so even a movie making more than its budget can still lose money, Red Tails won't make back its budget, it's a flop.Ghost Rider not collapsing? In the last year 5 movies fell more than 70%. Dylan Dog, Mighty Macs and Bucky Larson are part of that three. The other two, were the Devil Inside which made 53x its production budget and Deathly Hallows 2. Throwing arbitrary numbers out just because you like the crap that GR2 offered up does not mean the facts change. Getting 40% of Ghost Rider's admissions is considered a success. That's what they wanted when they greenlit it. That's what they wanted when they reduced the budget and then lied about it. Yeah.

Boom.

Are you being purposefully daft?Red Tails was an overperfomer for outopening people's expectations but a $58m budget means in the big picture it's a flop. Studios don't recoup all the box office so even a movie making more than its budget can still lose money, Red Tails won't make back its budget, it's a flop.Ghost Rider not collapsing? In the last year 5 movies fell more than 70%. Dylan Dog, Mighty Macs and Bucky Larson are part of that three. The other two, were the Devil Inside which made 53x its production budget and Deathly Hallows 2. Throwing arbitrary numbers out just because you like the crap that GR2 offered up does not mean the facts change. Getting 40% of Ghost Rider's admissions is considered a success. That's what they wanted when they greenlit it. That's what they wanted when they reduced the budget and then lied about it. Yeah.

No, are you stroking your ego?I don't pretend Red Tails was a hit but it's not a flop. There need be a much wider chasm than $10m for that. I do wonder why it hasn't opened in any international markets though. I'm guessing that isn't going to happen or else it would have already.Ghost Rider opened at #4, stayed there for 5 days. Day 6 it ranked #5. The following weekend it placed #6. That is a consistent and marginal change of position over 10 days. Obviously your "definition" of collapse isn't in synch. Had it collapsed it would've dropped over 65% and into 70% range where some mentioned they would not be surprised to see. It would've placed #8or9 for the weekend. The fact it didn't and saw an increase on Saturday are indicators it performed in the as of now typical 60% +/- of genre films that are frontloaded.FLOP is a term for vastly financially underperforming films like Pluto Nash, Mars Needs Moms, Battlefield Earth. Films that never make their money back even after residual revenue streams.

FLOP is a term for vastly financially underperforming films like Pluto Nash, Mars Needs Moms, Battlefield Earth. Films that never make their money back even after residual revenue streams.

Those are BOMBSDidn't Neo make a thread about BO terminology

At 26 yo, Meryl had her first movie role (a voice part). It's a little crazy. I didn't even know she started so late.All i'm saying is that Amanda S has potential. I see talent. That's all

Yeah Meryl started her film career late but I suspect it was because her boyfriend at the time was dying of cancer. She was living with John Cazale (aka Fredo of the Godfather). She did start on stage in her early 20s. but didn't do much during that period from what I gathered.I think Amanda has talent but I just don't think the films she's been in have been any kind of dramatic challenge. Definitely potential there. I guess she is probably glad that she dropped out of Albert Nobbs. That film went nowhere.

No, are you stroking your ego?I don't pretend Red Tails was a hit but it's not a flop. There need be a much wider chasm than $10m for that. I do wonder why it hasn't opened in any international markets though. I'm guessing that isn't going to happen or else it would have already.Ghost Rider opened at #4, stayed there for 5 days. Day 6 it ranked #5. The following weekend it placed #6. That is a consistent and marginal change of position over 10 days. Obviously your "definition" of collapse isn't in synch. Had it collapsed it would've dropped over 65% and into 70% range where some mentioned they would not be surprised to see. It would've placed #8or9 for the weekend. The fact it didn't and saw an increase on Saturday are indicators it performed in the as of now typical 60% +/- of genre films that are frontloaded.FLOP is a term for vastly financially underperforming films like Pluto Nash, Mars Needs Moms, Battlefield Earth. Films that never make their money back even after residual revenue streams.

If we're arguing over terminology, then there's nothing to argue about, because it's pretty much accepted what the definition of an underperformance, flop and bomb are. Second, don't move goalposts. You said 70%. If you wanted to use that as your definition of collapsing, stick to it. The rest of your numbers are arbitrary and irrelevant. The Wolfman increased on its first Saturday, and so did the first Ghost Rider, that pretty much tells you everything opening on President's Day Weekend increases on its first Saturday. Spider Man 3 was #1 for 14 consecutive days it's average position over its first month was #2, the Matrix Revolutions had an average position of #2 over its first 16 days. See, I can do it too.

^^^No, I said some people expected 70%, you didn't even comprehend my statement. Somewhere in the GR thread I think I said I wanted sub 65% if you want to know what I was looking for.The "opinion" of the definitions have wiggle room, that's about the only absolute. The only thing I see as a consensus is that Gone is a flop or bomb once, or if, a budget is posted.The others are somewhere between underperformer or better. The only thing you did by "doing it also" was show that Ghost Rider isn't a flop. ;)Now I have to go back to painting the bathroom, weekend projects and all.

The problem with Red Tails is that it is apparently going to get minimal, if any, help from overseas markets. If it could even match what it made DOM, it would stand a chance to break even, but it's not going to do anywhere near that.

I'm loving 2012 so far. I hope this continues through the Summer. I think Red Tails was kind of a passion project for Lucas and isn't wasn't something he expected to be overly big box office wise. Not sure why he didn't release it in any OS markets though.