boxofficeth

Wknd Est. Feb. 24-26

Re: Red Tails

Very few movies with mostly black cast are released overseas.

That's a shame. Really speaks to the reality of where racism exists with deep roots. Not saying it's solved in the States but the perception is that the US is this vitriolic racist hub. However, when it comes to money the film has little or zero financial viability outside N.America.So blacks in Europe would have zero interest in this? Non racist whites as well, got to be some. Blacks in Brazil and other places? I find it amazing. I want to believe it's a Lucas decision and not the other way it's looking.

It's not because they're black that people don't care, if that were so, why would Will Smith and Denzel Washington be stars?It's because the rest of the world doesn't give a damn about racism issues in the US. Plus most of the all-black cast movies ie TP movies, I'd think black people in other parts of the world don't care about because they identify themselves as British or Brazilian or Kenyan or wherever they're from. In America there's too much of a distinction.

Re: Red Tails That's a shame. Really speaks to the reality of where racism exists with deep roots. Not saying it's solved in the States but the perception is that the US is this vitriolic racist hub. However, when it comes to money the film has little or zero financial viability outside N.America. So blacks in Europe would have zero interest in this? Non racist whites as well, got to be some. Blacks in Brazil and other places? I find it amazing. I want to believe it's a Lucas decision and not the other way it's looking.

I Am Legend and American Gangster did well overseas so I wouldn't say foreign audiences are flat out racist. It's just that they need compelling concepts if a movie has black stars. Edited by grey ghost