aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

3 hours ago, Rman823 said:

Doesn’t help when they’re all unnecessary. 

I've never understood this statement.  What is necessary?  If the first film makes money and audiences enjoy it, then why wouldn't they make another one?  It is a totally necessary sequel because Hollywood is a business.  They are in the business of making movies and if they think there is an audience for another movie, then they make said movie.  You know what is also unnecessary?  Most Marvel sequels.  The difference is audiences will show up for them in droves, but that doesn't make them "necessary".  So when you say that the comedy sequels are unnecessary you are wrong.

• Like 16

Just now, YourMother said:

DH2 would’ve been screwed either way. It’d have to deal with Ferdinand, Jumanji and Showman.

Showman will be a mega bomb, so it doesn't matter. DH was released against a 900M beast and it still did 150M. Your argument simply doesn't work either way.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I think the comedy sequel curse would've struck no matter what.

Yes, it would, but by releasing it now it will struck even harder.

• Like 1

Mark my words: Three Billboards is going to be the highest grossing comedy of November.

"This doesn't put an end to shit, you fucking retard! This is just the fucking start! Why don't you put that on your good morning Missouri fuckin' wakeup broadcast, BITCH!"

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Last baumer said:

I've never understood this statement.  What is necessary?  If the first film makes money and audiences enjoy it, then why wouldn't they make another one?  It is a totally necessary sequel because Hollywood is a business.  They are in the business of making movies and if they think there is an audience for another movie, then they make said movie.  You know what is also unnecessary?  Most Marvel sequels.  The difference is audiences will show up for them in droves, but that doesn't make them "necessary".  So when you say that the comedy sequels are unnecessary you are wrong.

Usually with a comedy film the story’s finished in the first film. With franchise films they’re made to continue and actually add to each other. Yes any sequel can be considered a cash grab however some can actually be more than one while others are not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

For anyone who’s seen Bad Moms 2, is it Ted 2/Hangover 2 levels of suck or Anchorman 2 passable?

I saw it this afternoon. It's not as good as the first but it's pretty good as far as lazy cash grab sequels go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mark my words: Three Billboards is going to be the highest grossing comedy of November.

"This doesn't put an end to shit, you fucking retard! This is just the fucking start! Why don't you put that on your good morning Missouri fuckin' wakeup broadcast, BITCH!"

I would love for you to be right, it looks awesome.  But it still looks pretty niche.

5 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Which is why you get stuck with the same plots in different settings, gimmicks, or waiting 10 or 20 years to release a sequel. 22 Jump Street is still my favorite comedy sequel. 

That’s a rare comedy sequel that doesn’t blow. 

3 hours ago, The Last baumer said:

I would love for you to be right, it looks awesome.  But it still looks pretty niche.

It's one of the best picture frontrunners right now, and Searchlight seems pretty set on getting this wide. It can do very well over Thanksgiving (where it'll probably get 700 theaters or so), expand excellently into early December, and hold well throughout awards season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rman823 said:

Usually with a comedy film the story’s finished in the first film. With franchise films they’re made to continue and actually add to each other. Yes any sequel can be considered a cash grab however some can actually be more than one while others are not. 

But with any film, you can make a sequel by writing more of the story.  For example, I doubt American Pie or a film like Lethal Weapon were thought of as films that would have sequels....but you just get a talented writer to do one and voila, you have a sequel.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Last baumer said:

Couldn't agree with you more. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's one of the best picture frontrunners right now, and Searchlight seems pretty set on getting this wide. It can do very well over Thanksgiving (where it'll probably get 700 theaters or so), expand excellently into early December, and hold well throughout awards season.

The trailer kills me every time I see it.  

• Like 2