Impact

Best Actor-2012 thread

So far the onslaught of critic awards is all the campaigning the studio needs.

I disagree. The Studio campaigning by itself via FYC ads, highlighting critics wins, and etc. aren't enough anymore. When you get people who are willing to sell their soul for an Oscar, you just can't get by without being there doing the circuit. (Unless your category is weak as fuck)

DDL will win with a landslide. I hope he won't be overlooked like Streep, he's the best actor of his generation and deserves to be rewarded, plus I don't think that anyone can challenge him. Phoenix could have been if he wasn't... well... called Phoenix. With his antics he has no chance. Cooper could have been the only serious contender if the film had more dramatic depth, we all know that it;s impossible to win with a comedy.

And everyone just assumes that the Academy will go with the performance by the allegedly best actor of his generation. Wake up, the Academy won't just flock to DDL without effort on his end. Hollywood doesn't work like this. He's going up against people who I'll bet are willing to campaign their asses off, especially Jackman because this is probably his best shot at a nomination and a win he'll ever get in his life. And DDL's got 2 lead Oscars, the most any other male actor has ever won he's been rewarded plenty enough. There's no real argument for a 3rd lead Oscar, other than his performance. And, as we all know, it's very hard to win on performance alone. There needs to be a narrative as well, whether it'd be Hollywood Flavour of the year, 29 years since last winning, First black woman to win in leading, life achievement award, and etc. DDL's not old enough to win an life achievement Oscar, last won 5 years ago, and etc. It'll be a predictable and boring win, and it'll be one of the rare year in advance predicted winners actually winning things, but I don't mind it. It's not my favourite performance of the year, and not in my top 5 or maybe even 10 but it wouldn't be a horrible win. It's still a mighty good performance despite its flaws.

I don;t think DDL is a lock this year. He is fantastic as Lincoln of course but I don't think it is the best lead actor of the year, that still goes to Cooper imo. And because it deals with mental health, I think Cooper has a lot more traction that some of you think he does.

True that rich, but his case is in strong hands, mainly because he stars in the BP winner film. Lincoln will win BP and it makes it impossible DDH not to win.

Lincoln is not locked for best picture either and a best picture win does not guarantee a best actor. There are dozens of films that have won best picture without a best actor. Titanic, ROTK, Shakespeare In Love, Chicago, A Beautiful Mind and on and on it goes.....in fact, there are more best picture winners without actor than there are with.

I don't look at SLP as being a comedy first and foremost. It has comedic elements to it but it is also about mental disability. This is a story about two people really struggling to get over their respective losses and then finding each other which helps facilitate the healing. I think Cooper will win this year as it is the kind of performance the academy goes for.

I don;t think DDL is a lock this year. He is fantastic as Lincoln of course but I don't think it is the best lead actor of the year, that still goes to Cooper imo. And because it deals with mental health, I think Cooper has a lot more traction that some of you think he does.

It is a lock buddy and I'd put money up if you'd like to disagree.

DDL is a lock and his situation is uncomparable to Streep`s because he is in the baitiest role since ever. Streep`s nominations between her second and third win were not undeniable and quite a few were "Because she`s Streep" rather than because she really was better than the next actress vying for the 5th spot. Lets be realistic here. Julia Child is not Lincoln. Not even close.What DDL also has on his side is that his movie is a bone fide blockbuster and he has swept most precursors so far. His biggest competitor, as far as critics go, was Phoenix who may get a snub altogether. So unless SAG and GG drastically change the wind (DDL is winning BAFTA, that`s a given) , he`s winning his third.I`ll repeat this one more time. This is a strange year where many frontrunners are past winners and even recent winners (Bigelow and her now ex boytoy Lipstick). So unless absolutely all members are so careful to push only first-timers (Affleck, Cooper, Hathaway), there will be couple or more past winners winning again. And of those potentials DDL looks the most solid.

Logan Lerman should get a nomination for Perks, though that wont happen

Yes! Such a riveting performance from a young actor. He brought out a crapload of emotions in me while watching that movie, many entirely unexpected. I'd take it anyday over Denzel in Flight, Jackman, or even Cooper. Actually come to think of it, it's my second favorite performance of the year in this category, though I've yet to see The Master or The Sessions. Edited by HobbitMan89

BTW-1994 was very intresting. All the acting winners were repeats except for Landau (ironically the oldest)-only other time it happened? 1937 (or 38 can't remember the exact year) where Spencer Tracy became the first actor to get back to back wins which only Hanks did since. (And they were the same age!)2005-all 4 acting winners were first time nominees-first time since the 50s.

Edited by Impact