Impact

Best Actor-2012 thread

I'd love to see Foxx get nominated, because that character has the chance of becoming a new movie icon. He won't though, and with DDL, Cooper, and Jackman in the race, the competition is stiffer than any year ever. They were all brilliant, as was Denzel.

Urban legend.I could give you dozens of films which won oscars and had poor BO.Again, urban legend.

True but DDL is playing an icon in a critical and commercial hit. Cooper is playing a bipolar guy in a movie that`s struggling in a limited release. His other mental/physical disroder competitors are another wacko (Phoenix) and a criple (Hawkes). Granted, DDL`s disadvantage is that he already won twice. But since Cooper won`t be the only non-winner in the roaster, he`ll have to fight off others. Hey, I love his perf, thought he was fantastic but I just dont see what he has more going for him than other competition. Jackman sings an iconic role. That`s pretty huge. Hawkes is a classic bait.

I think DDL, like Meryl Streep, has his just rewards and the academy is willing to overlook his performance this year for Cooper. And as much as I think DDL is ridiculously brilliant in Lincoln, I think Cooper's performance is equally brilliant and for that reason, I hope he wins.

Am I the only one who finds DDL's acting a little bit over the top and showy ?Is there a subtle DDL performance out there ?I only saw the Lincoln trailer and all I saw was : acting acting acting and the DDL's acting show presents : Lincoln !!!

Am I the only one who finds DDL's acting a little bit over the top and showy ?Is there a subtle DDL performance out there ?I only saw the Lincoln trailer and all I saw was : acting acting acting and the DDL's acting show presents : Lincoln !!!

Maybe you should see Lincoln. It's a pretty reserved performance.
  • Like 1

I think DDL, like Meryl Streep, has his just rewards and the academy is willing to overlook his performance this year for Cooper. And as much as I think DDL is ridiculously brilliant in Lincoln, I think Cooper's performance is equally brilliant and for that reason, I hope he wins.

I think you are onto something here, as Streep had to wait forever for hers and even though DDL is great I don't think they will give it as easy. I don't know if they will pick Cooper or Hawkes or whoever but it is definitely something to ponder. I only have Cooper in 2nd for his NBR win.

My dark horse for the win is Hawkes just for the sheer difficulty of the role but DDL's going to win easily. I don't think the voters would mind giving a 3rd Oscar to a role as universally acclaimed as this. Plus the box office success of Lincoln helps a LOT as well

As an alias fan I would love cooper to win

I always love when actors I saw first on TV break out on films and awards, one of the reasons why I was so happy with Melissa McCarthy's nomination last year ;) Edited by forg

I think you are onto something here, as Streep had to wait forever for hers and even though DDL is great I don't think they will give it as easy. I don't know if they will pick Cooper or Hawkes or whoever but it is definitely something to ponder. I only have Cooper in 2nd for his NBR win.

Streep only had to wait forever for hers because she never really campaigned full-on unlike her competitors until last year. She campaigned last year and she won. I'm sure that if she campaigned every year like she did last year she'd probably be a 4 time Oscar winner, looking for her 5th. (Would've won for some of the following: A Cry in the Dark, Out of Africa [Debatable, but she was in the BP and BD winner so I think she was close to a win here despite it only being 3 years since Sophie], Adaptation, Doubt [Winslet would've won in supporting instead], and Julie and Julia)If DDL campaigns hard I think he'll win it no problem. But if he doesn't then I do think that the Academy will overlook him in favour of someone else. Edited by riczhang

I could see Jackman winning if DDL does not win.
  • Like 2

I think it's Cooper's this year as it is the kind of film that the academy likes. This is about a damaged man who is struggling to get it back together. Think of films like My Left Foot, Rainman, American Beauty. All about men that were either suffering from some kind of physical or psychological malady or they were just on the edge. Cooper fits into that group.

Nah, Day-Lewis has this one in the bag. He has a killer angle in that he's one of the greatest living actors, and he successfully portrayed one of the most beloved figures in American history. Bradley Cooper was great in Silver Linings Playbook, and it's the kind of performance that shows enough unexpected depths to win over past skeptics. In my book, it's probably the runner-up behind Day-Lewis, although Phoenix and Washington are just about even with Cooper. But Day-Lewis delivers fully upon a performance that had a ton of potential on paper, and given the level of reverence his peers have for him, I don't think they'll have much of an issue with handing him his third Oscar.

Nah, Day-Lewis has this one in the bag. He has a killer angle in that he's one of the greatest living actors, and he successfully portrayed one of the most beloved figures in American history.Bradley Cooper was great in Silver Linings Playbook, and it's the kind of performance that shows enough unexpected depths to win over past skeptics. In my book, it's probably the runner-up behind Day-Lewis, although Phoenix and Washington are just about even with Cooper. But Day-Lewis delivers fully upon a performance that had a ton of potential on paper, and given the level of reverence his peers have for him, I don't think they'll have much of an issue with handing him his third Oscar.

Still needs to campaign. The category is strong enough that if he doesn't campaign, he'll lose. Yes, he is great, no one can deny that. But, he is neither at Hepburn's level of legend, nor in Hepburn's time. Hepburn could win in a competitive category with no campaigning, DDL can't. He needs to campaign decently hard and it is his. Otherwise it'll go to the hardest campaigner.

Still needs to campaign. The category is strong enough that if he doesn't campaign, he'll lose. Yes, he is great, no one can deny that. But, he is neither at Hepburn's level of legend, nor in Hepburn's time. Hepburn could win in a competitive category with no campaigning, DDL can't. He needs to campaign decently hard and it is his. Otherwise it'll go to the hardest campaigner.

So far the onslaught of critic awards is all the campaigning the studio needs.