Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

Just saw Amour. I'm on Team "Riva" as well. Although, realistically, I suspect we might see a 2000 Oscars all over again where the award will go to the box office darling's performance (Julia Roberts ==> Lawrence of Chastain) vs. the undoubtably best performance of a lifetime (Ellen Burstyn ==> Emmanuelle Riva).

Just saw Amour. I'm on Team "Riva" as well. Although, realistically, I suspect we might see a 2000 Oscars all over again where the award will go to the box office darling's performance (Julia Roberts ==> Lawrence of Chastain) vs. the undoubtably best performance of a lifetime (Ellen Burstyn ==> Emmanuelle Riva).

But Amour is much more beloved by the Academy than Requim.
  • Like 1

I dont get the Burstyn love from Requiem. She was very good but just because Roberts was in a blockbuster and isnt well liked here doesnt mean she didnt deserve the oscar. Imo she was very deserving of it. Riva on the other hand give imo one of the best performance I have ever seen. So for me...as much as I love love love Jlaw in SLP Riva is the easy choice imo.

I dont get the Burstyn love from Requiem. She was very good but just because Roberts was in a blockbuster and isnt well liked here doesnt mean she didnt deserve the oscar. Imo she was very deserving of it. Riva on the other hand give imo one of the best performance I have ever seen. So for me...as much as I love love love Jlaw in SLP Riva is the easy choice imo.

I agree. Burstyn was fine, but Oscar worthy? Hell no.
  • Like 1

SLP is the strongest BP pic right now? I would think that would be ARGO.

It's certainly up there with Lincoln, and LoP. Though, despite me saying that Argo was dead a few weeks ago, and that being kinda proven because of the BD debacle, but I'm feeling a bit of a backlash for that BD snub and there's a bit of a resurgence for it. What happened was that Argo was released way too early and so by the time it got to January it's already died down considerably but this entire controversy has reversed some of its downwards trending momentum.

I don't think it's all that close. JLaw wins SAG, its over.

If JLaw wins SAG then Chastain is done and Jaw is the runaway favorite. However, BAFTA will be the one to watch for and Riva can make a strong run if she can win in Britain. The only thing that is stopping me from anointing JLaw is that I don't believe Academy wants to award ZDT so Chastain may be a weaker candidate than she appears to be. This can hurt JLaw ( Riva getting most of the anti-Chastain votes) as much as it helps her. Edited by TLK

Someone on ADF posted the possible matchups for Actress next year and it's kinda hilarious the way it's written:

If a supporting winner were to win her lead one for 2013. It will be La Dench and not Senor. But seriously, the actressing potential for 2013 is amazing.SaBu vs. Streep 2Streep vs. Winslet 2Streep vs. DenchStreep vs. SenorStreep vs. LawrenceStreep vs. CotillardSaBu vs. RobertsNanny vs. KidmanNotes on a Scandal bloodbathIris bloodbathThe long awaited/feared Senor vs Winslet could finally happen (this is the one which will cause AD to explode). etc. etc.