Finnick

Weekend Thread | Estimates: T:R 57.08M, DH2 29.65M, MOTOE 28.68M, ABMC 11.47M, 32.4K PTA for Lady Bird (Deadline, p.46) | The box office is good again!

1 minute ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Celebrate unlike the rest who remain bitter and pressed cause they can only wish to have as big as an impact and be as iconic and relevant.

eK0WgWv.gif

Star Wars, Wonder Woman, BvS and soon to be JL had a huge impact on our geek culture landscape. Sure there were others but SW and WW/BvS stood the test of time and could talked about for more than a week. It's already happening, people forget. That's what you get with "funny", it's temporary, fleeting.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's really fascinating how everyone seems to have avoided Thanksgiving this year aside from Disney with Coco (Sony is clearly dumping Roman J. Israel, Esq. at this point). There's nothing opening on either of the following two weekends either (other than the wide release of The Disaster Artist). Was everyone really that scared of The Last Jedi?

How can this place continue to forget about this upcoming mastahpiece?

Just now, raegr said:

Star Wars, Wonder Woman, BvS and soon to be JL had a huge impact on our geek culture landscape. Sure there were others but SW and WW/BvS stood the test of time and could talked about for more than a week. It's already happening, people forget. That's what you get with "funny", it's temporary, fleeting.

I think BVS stood the test in time the same way the Transformers movies does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Well they didn't specify that standing the test of time had to be a positive thing. lol. 

Certainly The Room and Gigli stand the test of time. 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's really fascinating how everyone seems to have avoided Thanksgiving this year aside from Disney with Coco (Sony is clearly dumping Roman J. Israel, Esq. at this point). There's nothing opening on either of the following two weekends either (other than the wide release of The Disaster Artist). Was everyone really that scared of The Last Jedi?

Well considering Rogue One itself steamrolled over all the December releases apart from Sing, TLJ is a much bigger threat. 

Talking to friends and family, they are all focused on watching TLJ really and nothing else over the next month or so. (Yes JL is there but even a film like JL seems small in face of TLJ really)

Everyone knows that TLJ is coming out, and we are already making Holiday Plans when to see it (X-mas Holidays)

Against a movie with so much mainstream buzz and awareness, I can see why other studios would stay away, as TLJ could or can easily suffocate movies.

Jumanji should do fine though 

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Not really. BvS actually had substance, tried to do something different and had lots of great things about it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

At risk of turning this thread into yet another discussion/argument about the potential drawing power of Justice League, I think the studios were also cautious about Justice League's release over the weekend before Thanksgiving. Everyone remembers how Avengers blew up after solid but not monstrous grosses from most of the preceding films, so I can't blame the studios for avoiding Justice League just in case it followed in Avengers's footsteps.

• Like 1

If I were to rearrange November-December slate I’d do:

11/3/17

Ragnarok

Ferdinand

11/10/17

Murder On The Orient Express

11/17/17

Justice League 

Wonder 

11/22/17

Coco

Bad Moms 2

Shape of Water (maybe)

12/8/17

The Star

12/15/17

Jedi

Greatest Showman

The Christmas slate stays the same.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Well considering Rogue One itself steamrolled over all the December releases apart from Sing, TLJ is a much bigger threat. 

Talking to friends and family, they are all focused on watching TLJ really and nothing else over the next month or so. (Yes JL is there but even a film like JL seems small in face of TLJ really)

Everyone knows that TLJ is coming out, and we are already making Holiday Plans when to see it (X-mas Holidays)

Against a movie with so much mainstream buzz and awareness, I can see why other studios would stay away, as TLJ could or can easily suffocate movies.

Jumanji should do fine though 

There's six movies opening in wide release the week after The Last Jedi comes out. I'm talking about the weeks running up.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

There's six movies opening in wide release the week after The Last Jedi comes out. I'm talking about the weeks running up.

I am not sure but the period after Thanksgiving till the big X-mas release is usually full of flops? 

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Dont compare BvS to Transformers 1.

Transformers 1 was the blockbuster of the year to audiences in 2007...

What was Batman vs Superman? 

Not Transformers 1. I love Transformers 1. I meant the sequels. Both have their fans but the majority don’t seem to like them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am not sure but the period after Thanksgiving till the big X-mas release is usually full of flops? 

Thanksgiving itself has been mostly filled with flops the past 10+ years. The weeks afterwards were usually reserved to release mid-range titles all the way up the annual deluge of Christmas releases.

Edited by filmlover

24 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

So that would put Thor in line for about 55 million and Orient for about 28 million.  Not sure about DH2, but maybe 25?

Im assuming you are using Dr. Strange 2nd week percentage comparison for the $55m...  Im think this does just a little better, Im going with $58M.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Dont compare BvS to Transformers 1.

Transformers 1 was the blockbuster of the year to audiences in 2007...

What was Batman vs Superman? 

An ambitious film that was flawed in execution but managed to still have a lot of strengths.

- Well shot, great visuals

- amazing soundtrack (fricken Elfman)

- Amazing performances

- Lots of tension and stakes

- Good characters

- Layered and grounded plot

- Strong character arcs

- Works on a thematic and symbolic level

I can go on. Transformers and many other MARVEL films do not have this, which is why BvS far exceeds most of the MCU in my opinion, at least the Ultimate edition. The theatrical is shit.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Personally, I don't see any of the X-mas films breaking out apart from Jumanji and Pitch Perfect 3 won't outgross Pitch Perfect 2 but should do well unless it's not good.

However it will be better then 2015 I think.

I can see solid numbers for Ferdinand.