WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

32 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Any ideas as to what would be considered a good opening day number for this? The historical data on family films opening on Wednesday is so minimal that it's difficult to say. I doubt it plays out similarly to Shrek 2 which did only 20% of its OW on Wednesday/Thursday, but Wednesday should still be lower than each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday, right?

I'm thinking as long as Wednesday's number has a "2" in front of it, that's pretty good.

An OD starting with a 2 is locked at this point. Even a 3 seems possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Think there are enough positives that it should be able to stay fresh maybe in mid 60´s range

i mean considering only a few of those post are from actually RT critics I have no idea what the RT will be

Well regardless of what critics say it looks like general audiences and especially Nintendo fans will eat this up. I'm interested where Universal/Illumination/Nintendo take this IP in the future now they can be pretty sure they have a huge hit with this. 

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

slow your roll.

We'll have to see if it crosses $1 billion

I haven’t been this excited to see audience reception in a long time, because it’s going to just blow everyone away at the box office if it’s loved by kids and non-kid fans alike. 

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, superduperm said:

If OD is $30M+ then that pretty much locks $150M 5-day, no? I can’t see Wednesday being higher than any weekend day.

I would think so. Back before I realized this wasn’t opening on a Friday, I thought a $150+ OW could be in the cards.