WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

These reviews are much worse than I would have expected, but they definitely mostly seem to be missing the point of a Mario movie in the first place. Likely to be the biggest disconnect between critics and audiences since The Greatest Showman 

If the point is “here’s a ton of shit you recognise from the games” then I think most critics have picked up on that. Give them some credit.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Metacritic:

THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE: 48

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: 47

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2: 47

Now go the rotten which have 5x more reviews and it´s way more in line with what people actually think since it´s more populist than Metacritic

• Like 1

Anyway, i´m sure it won´t impact the OW and Illumination does have a track record of getting great audience receptions off awful movies so maybe it won´t even matter for it´s success in long term 

But the argument that critics are bad and are demanding things they shouldn´t and have some bias against game adaptations in 2023 is just blind defense 

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

If the point is “here’s a ton of shit you recognise from the games” then I think most critics have picked up on that. Give them some credit.

Great, audiences are going to pick up on it even more then. All the way to $1b+ 

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Now go the rotten which have 5x more reviews and it´s way more in line with what people actually think since it´s more populist than Metacritic

MARIO on Metacritic has the same number of reviews as SONIC 2.

And who knows where it'll end up, but I see MARIO at 51% on RT and SONIC 2 also debuted in the 50s before finishing at 69%.*

*nice

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Great, audiences are going to pick up on it even more then. All the way to $1b+ 

Honestly, I’m not sure what your point is. It’s destined to make lots of money so it should have gotten good reviews? 

14 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that, and most people are doing as you're saying. I'm mostly talking about some discourse I'm seeing involving poking holes in critics' reviews to make it seem like they don't know what they're talking about as a means to discredit them. It's just something I see a lot when negative reviews come out for hotly-anticipated movies. It's reminding me of the reaction to reviews for multiple 2016 films.

I mean... fans will react like fans most of the time. Opinions here although passionate sometimes are still more reasonable than what you see in Twitter and other social media.

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But your comment was that the sonic movies was well received but the RT scores for Sonic ain´t good. It´s better than Mario yess but 64 and 69% isn´t under the category "well received". Unless you were talking about Sonic audience scores of course

Edited by thajdikt

1 minute ago, thajdikt said:

But your comment was that the sonic movies was well received but the RT scores for Sonic ain´t good. It´s better than Mario yess but 64 and 69% isn´t under the category "well received". 

Of course it is, it´s fresh for a reason, just not wildely well received 

And i gave a lot of other very recent examples with 80-90% so whatever 

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Honestly, I’m not sure what your point is. It’s destined to make lots of money so it should have gotten good reviews? 

My point is the audience disconnect will be huge with this based on why these critics seem to be trashing it. I admittedly didn’t expect such a terrible avg rating and whatnot, even if I never expected it to be critically beloved. Think they’re really missing the point here. 

I really don't want this to start an argument, so this will probably be the last I engage in this discussion:

Sonic 2 did not start in the 50's. It started in the 60's, dipped to the high 50's, then rose back up to the 60's after a large influx of U.S. reviews came in late (reminder that the movie opened a week early in the U.K.). Sonic 2 also had less reviews when it was in the 50's than Mario does right now, I believe.

Mario could still bump back up fresh, but it will be harder than it was for Sonic 2 to jump back up there.

Edited by datpepper
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

But your comment was that the sonic movies was well received but the RT scores for Sonic ain´t good. It´s better than Mario yess but 64 and 69% isn´t under the category "well received". Unless you were talking about Sonic audience scores of course

It’s well received by VG movie standards. This is stating off pretty rough.