That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah. The new posters not having a release date is pretty telling. I applaud Ridley for trying his best to get it out this year, but it was always going to be an extremely hard task.

They should just release it in March or April where it would do just fine as counterprogramming for adults. Heck, release it the same weekend as New Mutants, which is currently the only movie set for April 13 (and which it shares little audience overlap with).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Proud Mary might be getting dumped.

The trailer looks like a borderline parody of itself.

13 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Proud Mary will do fine, Sony doesn't need to market it much until a few weeks before and Taraji can do alot of the heavy lifting on social media, where her target audience is anyway. This is one of those film genres catering to urban audiences where BOT always misses the mark.

Yeah, the site tends to underestimate movies aimed at this demo. I've been feeling it'll fall into typical ScreenGems territory (No Good Deed/Bough Breaks) instead of a true breakout lately, but there's definitely potential to break out still if they ramp up marketing.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They should just release it in March or April where it would do just fine as counterprogramming for adults. Heck, release it the same weekend as New Mutants, which is currently the only movie set for April 13 (and which it shares little audience overlap with).

There was a rumor it'd be going to June before Plummer was cast; that would be a good date IMO. Hell, release it the second or third weekend of May.

46 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I will say that Sony is dropping the ball HARD on Proud Mary. There hasn't been anything since the trailer in July! You'd think a new trailer would've come with Roman Israel given All the Money in the World can't be marketed in its current state. I was predicting 100M for a while, but I don't even think it'll cross 15M on OW (it'll still be ahead of The Commuter though :lol: ).

Why so much more than Atomic Blonde, the humors ( guess that make it possible, but the John Wick's had it, great reviews, very commercial high concept with a comic book universe type background and giant release, even Imax release for the first one without reaching 100m, not reaching 50m on the first one either) ?

List of Screen Gems biggest box office ever:

The Vow: 125m

Think like a man: 91.5m

Don't breathe: 89m

Dear John: 80m

On around 74 screen gems release, only 1 achieved to reach 100m, SGems release often get 25m or even less domestic release marketing budget (never reached 40m) and not the full big studio affair.

According to this:

http://www.boxofficereport.com/trailerviews/trailerviews.html

Proud Mary has not many version of trailers out there you are right, and not a lot of views.

Box office pro prediction (pretty much atomic blonde with 10% lower OW but better legs), seem spot on:

1/12/2018 Proud Mary $17,000,000 NEW $55,000,000 NEW   Sony / Screen Gems

The director London Has Fallen franchise entry did 21.6m / 61m, is first movie went direct on video and has yet to have directed a fresh movie on Rotten Tomatoes and that movie would need to be special to have a shot to 100m.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robertman2 Floats Too said:

Only oscar hopefuls I'm seeing in theaters this awards season are Disaster Artist, Shape of Water and The Post. Everything else I can wait for Redbox. Mostly my local theater won't get them

Three Billboards and Lady Bird are not redbox rentals.  You take that back right now

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Proudy Mary has the same DP from John Wick 2, and is being directed by the same guy who directed London Has Fallen.

I'm curious about it.

London Has Fallen really wasn't that bad. I think this will be pretty good. I'm sure good reviews can only help a film such as this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slambros said:

London Has Fallen really wasn't that bad.

yes it was.

I think this will be pretty good.

wouldn't count on it.

I'm sure good reviews can only help a film such as this.

yes but it won't get them

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Edge of Seventeen comparisons are unavoidable, and I felt that movie was more consistently enjoyable even though it more or less followed the same kind of aimless "high school sucks" template.

I don't know Lady Bird feels a lot more focused to me