That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

idk feels like one of those crazy limited releases that taps out at 25-30mil to me.

Boyhood and Moonlight are the most apt comparisons imo. At the very least it should make more than Darkest Hour in the end, which on paper looks more likely to catch on in expansion.

2 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

If all goes well, I can see it maybe top MIP but this seems like it’s pushing it.

Yeah 30m would make me happy and around 50m sounds like the best case scenario. It's not as safely crowd-pleasing as something like The King's Speech since it's still a basically plotless film about a gay affair, and doesn't have a provocative hook of, say, a Black Swan. If 100m did somehow happen it'd be one of the biggest box office stories in ages.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think he's meant to be playing like 17 put your dick back in your pants buddy.

The actor's 21. Anyway...he's a great actor so whatever. At least Armie's going to be nice to look at.

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

To be fair, there are some pretty big DC fans where I’m sure it’s tough to watch their franchise basically be like the Mets of the box office. Major market, lots of money, free agent signings, still suck and nobody cares. That’s tough, I mean I get that. Hell if TLJ came out and made $120 million or something I would be pissed. I’m not sure if I’d be in denial though, I think just pissed. 

As for beating a dead horse, it’s simply because it doesn’t necessarily sink in that fast. I can’t understand how Suicide Squad made so much as I had no idea what it was frankly, clearly I was out of touch. But it boggles the mind how crappy JL has done. 

It’s sad to say but JL and BVS have provided the type of box office entertainment DC fans don’t want. I can’t ever do my own math showing a movie making more than half its money opening weekend. I always fuck it up if I try to just make it up. So I’m always going back and marveling at BVS on BoxOfficeMojo like oh ok that’s what it looks like to nose dive that badly after OW. Ok I knew I missed something in my math. But yeah let’s sugarcoat that, it’s not that BVS had the worst legs of any blockbuster in human history. It’s just that DC fans are SO LOYAL they all went to BVS opening weekend, every one of them, sometimes a few times. And that’s what led to the crash... or something. :D

I can’t imagine the kind of reaction I would have gotten if I made a post JL under $250M domestic about 6 months ago. Oh wait yes I can, let me just read some SteveJarros posts about Disney / Star Wars and those are the type of reactions I would have gotten hahaha. But unlike Steve I would have been right! 

SS was pretty amazing from a marketing standpoint. So. Many. Harlequin. Cosplays. So. Many. Hindsight is 20/20, but how SS was a movie that is quite unapologetic about what it is probably helped a lot-- leave your brains at the door, and go pick up some items from Hot Topic as you exit the mall. Whereas JL...until now I'm not sure what I should be expecting if one day a free ticket to watch the movie falls into my lap, the positive reviews say that the main draw (for randoms) is that it's fun, but I wonder how much of it is said reviewers already conditioned to find the mere presence of these characters together on screen fun. I mean, the trailers for JL make it seem more Civil War than Thor: Ragnarok.

Speaking of reviews.. (this has probably been hashed previously, oops at me also joining in to abuse this horse) I wonder if the DC diehard/JL defenders realise that not all reviewers/critics are equal. Seems to me that internet youtube critics are often preaching to the already converts, in the sense that their viewerbase has a strong interest in movies (why else watch their channels) and therefore probably have a pretty strong opinion and won't be swayed -- high chances are they're here for the entertainment value of the review itself and/or seeking validation. Whereas mainstream critics (you know, the ones who panned JL) have a much wider reach in terms of convert-able audience.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Daddy's Home 2 and Murder on the Orient Express are looking to inch past $100M by the end of their runs. Very good for both.

their box office run are closely resemble, but I find MOTOE will have higher odd than daddy to reach $100m, anyway, a win for daddy since I didn't expect people actually cares about it since I always thought daddyhome 1 wouldn't be that high if it wasn't for the spill over effect from SW7 in 2015, plus that terrible toxic RT score, it's nice to see people still want to see pure comedy drama 

25 minutes ago, lielixthe said:

At this point I'm wondering how long we're going to beat this horse for -- yes, JL's OD/OW/whatever has been disappointing for something that IS the Justice League. But, since OD till now (or the end of the movie's run), continually reiterating how it's a disppointment for a Justice League movie isn't really bringing anything new to the conversation. Personally I found the bad-good-bad-good alternations for JL's increases/holds for the past few days more interesting than just viewing the BO number as it is and stating (correctly) that it is bad for a movie called Justice League.

for what it's worth I enjoyed Thor and have no intention of watching JL in theatres

Disagree. Regardless of being a fan or not when a performance is his embarrassing people are going to comment