That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

Extinction got pulled off the schedule from Universal :rofl: That leaves only three wide releases in the last two weeks of January that are guaranteed to go wide: 12 Strong, Den of Thieves, and Maze Runner. I don't think Forever My Girl, Hostiles, and White Boy Rick are going too wide because Roadside has a history of low TCs, Hostiles will probably flop in limited, and White Boy Rick might not even make the date and is from a new distributor. I, Tonya and Phantom Thread will probably expand widely once Oscar nominations are out, and CMBYN could get its TC up on the last weekend of January if the prior weekend is promising. I still say Shape of Water goes ultra wide the first weekend of January, but Searchlight could wait if they wanted to I guess.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Extinction got pulled off the schedule from Universal :rofl: That leaves only three wide releases in the last two weeks of January that are guaranteed to go wide: 12 Strong, Den of Thieves, and Maze Runner. I don't think Forever My Girl, Hostiles, and White Boy Rick are going too wide because Roadside has a history of low TCs, Hostiles will probably flop in limited, and White Boy Rick might not even make the date and is from a new distributor. I, Tonya and Phantom Thread will probably expand widely once Oscar nominations are out, and CMBYN could get its TC up on the last weekend of January if the prior weekend is promising. I still say Shape of Water goes ultra wide the first weekend of January, but Searchlight could wait if they wanted to I guess.

The Last Jedi might have a chance to be the No1 film till February unless some film overperforms (i expect Maze Runner to flop tbh).

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The Last Jedi might have a chance to be the No1 film till February unless some film overperforms (i expect Maze Runner to flop tbh).

The Post should be #1 over MLK weekend and stay that way until Cloverfield/Winchester (is Cloverfield even coming out?)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DAR said:

Disaster Artist, Three Billboards Lady Bird all look good to me.  But Phantom Thread just looks boring 

Phantom Thread is the one contender (aside from Darkest Hour, I guess) that I'll see mostly because of awards and such and not so much out of actual desire, at least compared to the other Oscar contenders (Three Billboards, Call Me by Your Name, The Disaster Artist, The Shape of Water, I Tonya, Molly's Game, The Post - all of which I want to see even beyond their possible awards recognition). Lady Bird is great and worth your time.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

I will say that Sony is dropping the ball HARD on Proud Mary. There hasn't been anything since the trailer in July! You'd think a new trailer would've come with Roman Israel given All the Money in the World can't be marketed in its current state. I was predicting 100M for a while, but I don't even think it'll cross 15M on OW (it'll still be ahead of The Commuter though :lol: ).

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Phantom Thread is the one contender (aside from Darkest Hour, I guess) that I'll see mostly because of awards and such and not so much out of actual desire, at least compared to the other Oscar contenders (Three Billboards, Call Me by Your Name, The Disaster Artist, The Shape of Water, I Tonya, Molly's Game, The Post - all of which I want to see even beyond their possible awards recognition). Lady Bird is great and worth your time.

I don't think there's a contender I'm only interested in solely for awards purposes. This year's crop looks very strong.

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

CMBYN could get its TC up on the last weekend of January if the prior weekend is promising. 

That's pretty much guaranteed I think considering the Oscar nods are announced on January 23 and SPC will obviously be waiting until then to go for a big expansion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I will say that Sony is dropping the ball HARD on Proud Mary. There hasn't been anything since the trailer in July! You'd think a new trailer would've come with Roman Israel given All the Money in the World can't be marketed in its current state. I was predicting 100M for a while, but I don't even think it'll cross 15M on OW (it'll still be ahead of The Commuter though :lol: ).

I really, really doubt All the Money in the World is opening on December 22, at least in wide release. Theaters are already booking up what they're getting for the Christmas holiday and the studio has no time to give it a proper marketing push (nor do theater owners have the patience). Only way they'll book it at this point is if one of the wide releases doesn't make it (like when Big Eyes was promote from a limited release on Christmas Day to a wide one after The Interview's theatrical release was cancelled three years ago).

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I really, really doubt All the Money in the World is opening on December 22, at least in wide release. Theaters are already booking up what they're getting for the Christmas holiday and the studio has no time to give it a proper marketing push (nor do theater owners have the patience). Only way they'll book it at this point is if one of the wide releases doesn't make it (like when Big Eyes was promote from a limited release on Christmas Day to a wide one after The Interview's theatrical release was cancelled three years ago).

Yeah. The new posters not having a release date is pretty telling. I applaud Ridley for trying his best to get it out this year, but it was always going to be an extremely hard task.

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

That's pretty much guaranteed I think considering the Oscar nods are announced on January 23 and SPC will obviously be waiting until then to go for a big expansion.

Nominations are a week before; CMBYN is expanding into a few hundred theaters a few days afterwards

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

SPC is gonna be taking it nice and slow with it. It's biggest expansion between now and middle of January is on December 22, when it won't even be playing in 100 theaters. Check their release plan under "Get Tickets:" http://sonyclassics.com/callmebyyourname/

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Proud Mary might be getting dumped.

The trailer looks like a borderline parody of itself.

• Like 1

Call Me By Your Name came and went very quickly here in the UK. My cinema didn’t even get it and it was only on release for 3 weeks.

My brother went and it was his favourite film of the year so I’m hoping it gets another release nearer oscar season. 

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Proud Mary might be getting dumped.

The trailer looks like a borderline parody of itself.

Still looks like a better film than the dreadful Atomic Blonde though. Yuck. 

AB is still one of my biggest disappointments this year. 

Edited by Krissykins

Proud Mary will do fine, Sony doesn't need to market it much until a few weeks before and Taraji can do alot of the heavy lifting on social media, where her target audience is anyway. This is one of those film genres catering to urban audiences where BOT always misses the mark.

Edited by babz06
  • Like 3