That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

5 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I think an Adapted Screenplay nod is its best shot at a nomination given how barren that field is.  Although, I personally think it's good enough to be a major player, being a funny book film will be its death sentence.

Maybe but I don't see it happening. Mudbound will get in before Logan ever does (and we don't even know if the Oscars will accept a Netflix film being nominated or not).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

OR Mudbound? Mudbound is easily getting in over Wonder (haven't seen either but it's obvious which has more acclaim).

Mudbound is Netflix so who knows given the obvious anti-Netflix sentiment in the Academy. Wonder should have no problem getting in now considering it's both a surprise box office smash and critically-acclaimed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

It isn’t for me, no. I hate both of those movies. Titanic was great when the boat was sinking and the shitty lust story (sorry LOVE doesn’t happen in 24 hours) finally ended. With Rose basically pushing Jack off a piece of wood so large you could hold a dinner party on it but she outweighed him about 2:1 (not her fault, poor Leo was a twig in that movie at the time). Jack didn’t have to die. Rose just didn’t want to share her large wood. Sorry that came off wrong. I’m sure he had large wood too or whatever, but I mean she was all wet from the... you know fuck it I give up on this description ;)

For awards movies that actually were good, Lion was fantastic, Bridge of Spies was great, and there are always about 20% of them that are legitimately very good movies. It is literally that low. At best 20%. Whereas at most 20% of blockbusters suck. The worse it usually gets is like Mummy which was forgettable and pretty lame but had its moments. It sure didn’t suck as bad as most “awards films” that make your blood boil knowing how much time they just wasted. Do you guys drink while watching these films? Recreational drugs? I’m just trying to find the secret here. Or is it like fast forward through the boring parts and then the resulting movie is only 7 minutes long? :P

The secret is actually having a good taste in film.

• Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Bridge of Spies was great, and there are always about 20% of them that are legitimately very good movies.

Bridge of Spies was a truly excellent movie. That one I can is definitely a great movie and was not awards bait. So of course it didn't win.

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

This whole "academy won't nominate netflix!!!!" shtick is kinda getting ridiculous.

wait but they didn't nominate idris elba two years ago for like a B- movie about child soldiers no one watched. surely this means they're always gonna be DOA.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Anyone who claims Manchester by the Sea and Moonlight as one of the worst films they've ever seen clearly doesn't watch many movies.

I would bet dollars to donuts I’ve seen more movies than you have. I’ve studied film from 1894 to present and watched all kinds of obscure films from Soviet Russian formalism to German expressionism to French New Wave to most top film lists of the past to weird B movies. I still think Moonlight, Manchester, and add Boyhood are 3 of the worst movies I have ever seen. Any movies worse than that from say the 1930s were probably lost to time and nobody could see them. Are there movies more horribly crafted? Yeah of course, like Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. But that movie is so bad that it’s good and it is at least funny. There is NOTHING worse than being bored during a movie. Those movies are flat out F- level bad. There’s nothing redeeming. Even the camera work in Manchester is terrible and same with Boyhood. It’s fine in Moonlight. Heck the acting is very good in the movies, but so what? You don’t score points for any individual element if the movie stinks. If I saw amazing CG in the service of the most idiotic film I can imagine I’m not awarding points for that. Battlefield Earth is still an F movie regardless of what they spent to make it. Same applies with these incredibly boring movies. It’s literally impossible to watch them without checking the time dozens of times.

Judging by the audience reaction in Cranford, New Jersey last night, they had nooooo idea what the hell Disaster Artist was. That trailer was met with some painfully awkward silence. After years of loving it, it reminded me of just how niche The Room still is. 

Lady Bird is great, btw. There are other films I prefer this year, but still a gem.

• Like 3

I would bet dollars to donuts I’ve seen more movies than you have. I’ve studied film from 1894 to present and watched all kinds of obscure films from Soviet Russian formalism to German expressionism to French New Wave to most top film lists of the past to weird B movies.

Wow man, it definitely sounds like you aren't a casual!

I would bet dollars to donuts I’ve seen more movies than you have. I’ve studied film from 1894 to present and watched all kinds of obscure films from Soviet Russian formalism to German expressionism to French New Wave to most top film lists of the past to weird B movies. I still think Moonlight, Manchester, and add Boyhood are 3 of the worst movies I have ever seen. Any movies worse than that from say the 1930s were probably lost to time and nobody could see them. Are there movies more horribly crafted? Yeah of course, like Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. But that movie is so bad that it’s good and it is at least funny. There is NOTHING worse than being bored during a movie. Those movies are flat out F- level bad. There’s nothing redeeming. Even the camera work in Manchester is terrible and same with Boyhood. It’s fine in Moonlight. Heck the acting is very good in the movies, but so what? You don’t score points for any individual element if the movie stinks. If I saw amazing CG in the service of the most idiotic film I can imagine I’m not awarding points for that. Battlefield Earth is still an F movie regardless of what they spent to make it. Same applies with these incredibly boring movies. It’s literally impossible to watch them without checking the time dozens of times.

Image result for everybody knows nobody cares gif