That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

1 minute ago, lielixthe said:

Maybe it wasn't intentional, but it kind of inadvertently feels like one. I mean, the main selling point and the only thing I keep hearing about it is that it took 10(?) years to film. 

Yeah because when you work on a single film for 12 years it's because you want a golden statue on your shelf, not because you're like really personally passionate about it or anything. All sarcasm aside the 12-years-to-film thing is the selling point simply because it is the easiest one, the film itself never makes a show of or asks to be lauded for it. 

LOL it’s ok I have a good friend on FB (from real life, film school) whose movie tastes I don’t agree with ever basically and he thinks Boyhood is the greatest movie ever. Sorry but Waking Life is an amazing Linklater film, that’s a great movie! 

I don’t get offended by the explosion jokes by the way, it’s just not true. I ran a successful film review site for years and if you listed 500 movies from before 1995 let’s say that were classic films it’s good odds I liked or loved 400 of them. I am a philosophy major from the past after all, we love thoughtful movies. I just don’t see how most of this recent garbage is thoughtful. To me it wasn’t at all. A movie with explosions and action can still be one of the most horrible things ever. Look at the last xXx, what a goddamn piece of shit that was. 

I don’t “get” the modern sensibility for awards films at all. In the past I probably agreed with consensus opinions as high of a percent as would be normal, maybe 75-85% agreement with most classic films. Some, I don’t like still (Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a piece of shit about a truly horrible implied prostitute with overt racism to boot, it’s garbage and I think everyone who sees it today knows it they just like the one still image of Aubrey Hepburn - who is gorgeous to be fair). Most I do. Now, last 10 years, it’s 20%. The 10 years before that maybe 30-40%. 

What happened between great movies being Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Gladiator, Braveheart, RotK, etc. and suddenly Boyhood, Danish Girl, Moonlight, Manchester and other things nobody watches or cares about? It’s like suddenly what everyone loves is shit all over and whatever the fewest number of people could even tolerate is put on a pedestal so those pretentious clowns can pretend to have some intellectual superiority over “the masses, who need their bang bang pew pew pew while we lucky few smarties can enjoy our movies about transsexuals, gay love, boredom, and other adult issues that only we understand.” Nah, everyone else gets it too...they just don’t care.

• ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You couldn't find a better movie to support your "cause" than The Danish Girl (which is Oscar bait trash)? lol.

He also stacked it with using The Best Years of Our Lives  as a great film and one of the best movies to deal with social issues and well it is. 

Tricky.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Bridge of Spies greatest achievement was making Stallone stans mad for the eternity. I can still taste the salt to this day.

On a side note, Rylance was fantastic in that movie.

What about Stallone?

1 hour ago, Rumpot said:

Definitely weaker Friday than I expected.  Hopefully WOM allows this to break the usual pattern and rise Saturday 

I don't know...WOM isn't that great in the family realm, especially when parents discuss their kid reactions...it's whether the movie can get a higher than normal share of teens and adults with no kids that will determine if it can go bigger...b/c those folks are the ones in love with it (although they are in hate with the Frozen short)...

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

LOL it’s ok I have a good friend on FB (from real life, film school) whose movie tastes I don’t agree with ever basically and he thinks Boyhood is the greatest movie ever. Sorry but Waking Life is an amazing Linklater film, that’s a great movie! 

I don’t get offended by the explosion jokes by the way, it’s just not true. I ran a successful film review site for years and if you listed 500 movies from before 1995 let’s say that were classic films it’s good odds I liked or loved 400 of them. I am a philosophy major from the past after all, we love thoughtful movies. I just don’t see how most of this recent garbage is thoughtful. To me it wasn’t at all. A movie with explosions and action can still be one of the most horrible things ever. Look at the last xXx, what a goddamn piece of shit that was. 

I don’t “get” the modern sensibility for awards films at all. In the past I probably agreed with consensus opinions as high of a percent as would be normal, maybe 75-85% agreement with most classic films. Some, I don’t like still (Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a piece of shit about a truly horrible implied prostitute with overt racism to boot, it’s garbage and I think everyone who sees it today knows it they just like the one still image of Aubrey Hepburn - who is gorgeous to be fair). Most I do. Now, last 10 years, it’s 20%. The 10 years before that maybe 30-40%. 

What happened between great movies being Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Gladiator, Braveheart, RotK, etc. and suddenly Boyhood, Danish Girl, Moonlight, Manchester and other things nobody watches or cares about? It’s like suddenly what everyone loves is shit all over and whatever the fewest number of people could even tolerate is put on a pedestal so those pretentious clowns can pretend to have some intellectual superiority over “the masses, who need their bang bang pew pew pew while we lucky few smarties can enjoy our movies about transsexuals, gay love, boredom, and other adult issues that only we understand.” Nah, everyone else gets it too...they just don’t care.

What was the movie site you owned?

• Like 1

Rather off-topic but I adore the LotR trilogy so very much. Was very much appalled when later a good number of my friends told me they'd found Fellowship boring. (One said she'd fallen asleep in cinema. Oh, for shame!!)

Edited by lielixthe
typo!
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My choices for the 2015 Best Actor and Supporting Actors would feature maybe one actually nommed performance each. A year loaded with great performances they got pretty wrong, more so than usual.

Yeah. I would have picked Jason Bateman in The Gift and Jason Segel in The End of the Tour for best actor before anyone else to start with. Liev Schreiber in Spotlight was my favorite supporting actor, it's a better less-is-more performance than even the one Rylance gave. 

• Like 1

Just now, lielixthe said:

Rather off-topic but I adore the LotR trilogy so very much. Was very much appalled when later a good number of my friends told me they'd found Fellow boring. (One said she'd fallen asleep in cinema. Oh, for shame!!)

You'd be surprised at the amount of people who find LoTR boring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah. I would have picked Jason Bateman in The Gift and Jason Segel in The End of the Tour for best actor before anyone else to start with. Liev Schreiber in Spotlight was my favorite supporting actor, it's a better less-is-more performance than even the one Rylance gave. 

Liked for Schreiber. Slightly thrown off by Bateman

1 minute ago, lielixthe said:

Rather off-topic but I adore the LotR trilogy so very much. Was very much appalled when later a good number of my friends told me they'd found Fellow boring. (One said she'd fallen asleep in cinema. Oh, for shame!!)

Indeed :whosad: