Editing: baby driver / dunkirk

cinematography: blade runner

effects: WftPotA

prod design: Shape of water

costume design: phantom thread

makeup: darkest hour

animated film: coco

foreign film: in the fade

Lady Bird not winning anything is a huge blow for its BP chances. In their 23 year history, the BFCA has always given the Oscar BP winner at least one award. Between this and the BAFTA underperformance, I'd honestly put SOW at better chances of winning.

Edited by WrathOfHan

I've thought it before and I still think it now that The Shape of Water has the capacity to be a major frontrunner, as it appeals to many people at once: The steak and potatoes people voting for period films, the hipsters looking to reward a 'genre' film, and the voters who want to reward a film with a strong female lead. The Shape of Water may have missed some important precursors, but the film is certainly still in contention for the Best Picture win. And I would likely be correct in saying that the film would very likely fail to be a backlash-receiving candidate unlike Three Billboards.

In my opinion, the Critic's Choice win puts the film in a very good position.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The critics be feeling that fish love.

It’s pretty concerning for Hawkin’s chances that McDormand still won here - I think she’s the clear favorite.

Nothing against her (she was legit great in 3 Billboards), but you already know how I feel about Hawkin’s performance, heh.

38 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

It’s pretty concerning for Hawkin’s chances that McDormand still won here - I think she’s the clear favorite.

Nothing against her (she was legit great in 3 Billboards), but you already know how I feel about Hawkin’s performance, heh.

I love both performances (and the actresses themselves) so I wouldn't complain about either winning. The fact the expected line-up this year for the Best Actress category is for movies all getting potential Best Pictures noms is something that hasn't happened in a while.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Lady Bird not winning anything is a huge blow for its BP chances. In their 23 year history, the BFCA has always given the Oscar BP winner at least one award. Between this and the BAFTA underperformance, I'd honestly put SOW at better chances of winning.

Currently, I have Lady Bird, Three Billboards and Get Out all within a few points of each other with Lady Bird in third.

However I do think if something beats Billboards it’s Get Out, it’s a little more showy compared to Lady Bird.  And while the Oscars don’t always go for spectacle, they rarely award movies like Lady Bird.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Currently, I have Lady Bird, Three Billboards and Get Out all within a few points of each other with Lady Bird in third.

However I do think if something beats Billboards it’s Get Out, it’s a little more showy compared to Lady Bird.  And while the Oscars don’t always go for spectacle, they rarely award movies like Lady Bird.

Agreed. I feel Get Out will have more #1 votes than Lady Bird, and I'm assuming a LB win would strictly come down to preferential voting. IDK if it has the passion to get there on its own.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Agreed. I feel Get Out will have more #1 votes than Lady Bird, and I'm assuming a LB win would strictly come down to preferential voting. IDK if it has the passion to get there on its own.

Yeah, Get Out and Lady Bird are both universally liked and benefit by the preferential ballot, so it’d simply come down to which of the two has more passion (and that’s Get Out).  Lady Bird isn’t impossible though as of yet, it depends on how the guilds though.

Id be inclined to overlook the BAFTA snub for Lady Bird if it won PGA and then either WGA/SAG.  If Three Billboards wins BAFTA + PGA I think it wins, if it’s SAG + BAFTA things are a little more open, and if it only wins one thing (or less) I may be more inclined to think something else is winning.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, slambros said:

I've thought it before and I still think it now that The Shape of Water has the capacity to be a major frontrunner, as it appeals to many people at once: The steak and potatoes people voting for period films, the hipsters looking to reward a 'genre' film, and the voters who want to reward a film with a strong female lead. The Shape of Water may have missed some important precursors, but the film is certainly still in contention for the Best Picture win. And I would likely be correct in saying that the film would very likely fail to be a backlash-receiving candidate unlike Three Billboards.

In my opinion, the Critic's Choice win puts the film in a very good position.

disagree on this one. It looked like a crowdpleaser for everyone on paper, but after I saw it I thought it is just as weird as any Del Toro movie. The sex scene alone would be a deal-breaker for a lot of people. 

Personally I can't still believe that Del Toro will win a BD oscar for this film. I always thought if he ever was gonna complete the Three Amigos sweep it will be with a more oscar friendly or "prestigy" subject. I'm certainly rooting for him, though. 

52 minutes ago, Joel M said:

disagree on this one. It looked like a crowdpleaser for everyone on paper, but after I saw it I thought it is just as weird as any Del Toro movie. The sex scene alone would be a deal-breaker for a lot of people. 

Personally I can't still believe that Del Toro will win a BD oscar for this film. I always thought if he ever was gonna complete the Three Amigos sweep it will be with a more oscar friendly or "prestigy" subject. I'm certainly rooting for him, though. 

I think you might be right. I haven't seen the film, so I'm not sure how off-putting it could be to some viewers; I do think people may still look at it with a keen eye, though. I really don't think it's out of the race just yet, because it's a year where basically none of the films feel like they should be a frontrunner.

1 hour ago, New Year New Panda said:

I don’t think the crowd attracted by Shape of Water really cares too much about the relationship.

You know, I agree. It's a clearly fantastical, clearly deeper-meaning, and clearly allegorical romance that serves an artistic purpose beyond the central romance. I think many people don't have a problem with it because the film is removed from reality far enough so that it fails to evoke real-world issues.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 12:45 AM, filmlover said:

I love both performances (and the actresses themselves) so I wouldn't complain about either winning. The fact the expected line-up this year for the Best Actress category is for movies all getting potential Best Pictures noms is something that hasn't happened in a while.

Same here - they seem like they’d be front runners if they weren’t competing against each other. I love them both.

NAACP awards 

Entertainer of the Year: Ava DuVernay

Outstanding Motion Picture
Girls Trip

Outstanding Writing in a Motion Picture
Jordan Peele - Get Out

Outstanding Directing in a Motion Picture

Jordan Peele - Get Out 

Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture
Daniel Kaluuya - Get Out

Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture
Octavia Spencer - Gifted