Ezen Baklattan

2017 Critics/Alternate Awards Discussion

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't think anyone considers argo one of the better or worse winners. in terms of recent it's better than king's speech and birdman but not as good as 12 years a slave, spotlight or moonlight. just kinda sitting there in the middle.

Poor The Artist. That movie feels completely forgotten. Same with that entire awards season for the most part (The Help is arguably the one that's had the biggest longevity).

Edited by filmlover

The Artist was good harmless fun. That alone is enough to put it in my top 3 of this decade's winners (alongside 12YAS and Spotlight). 

I still don't think we've had a winner since No Country that even begins approaching all-time great film status. This year won't break the streak, either.

• Like 2

Yeah I don't think Moonlight is very good but I'm sure its fans will continue to be many and passionate. It's why I said "great" and not "classic", because I still feel the former is subjective while the latter is to be decided by consensus, and I have no control over that. 

Edited by Jake Gittes

At least Crash had Ludacris in it, Three Billboards can't say that. 

Seriously though it'd make Birdman or King's Speech winning look like when The Godfather won, considering how many better options there are this year.  What a wretched choice. 

Spotlight's the best winner of the decade, it took me a rewatch to realize fully just how fucking great that movie is. But Moonlight and 12 Years holding up super well too. Shape of Water would be an Argo level winner, Get Out and Lady Bird would immediately jump into the best winner of the decade convo, Dunkirk has no chance but it'd probably be the first upper-middle class winner of the decade (as in, not really excellent or totally blah - just very good), Three Billboards would be the worst of the decade by a fair margin. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Might be fun to see if my least favorite choice can win in every category this year. 

Legit we're a Three Billboards win (realistic) away from this happening for me. It's both probably the best nominees and the absolute worst winners in years. 

Actually second thought McDormand is better than Robbie for sure

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Between Oldman and Rockwell when's the last year we had at least two great actors win overdue Oscars for such blatantly unworthy, over-the-top performances? Closest answer I can see is Sean Penn and Tim Robbins for Mystic River

I would say McConaughey/Leto, but I'm not sure they were overdue or great actors. Sure were bad though.

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Between Oldman and Rockwell when's the last year we had at least two great actors win overdue Oscars for such blatantly unworthy, over-the-top performances? Closest answer I can see is Sean Penn and Tim Robbins for Mystic River

Leo in the Revenant comes to mind alongside Vikandir 
those 2 performances were not that good honestly 

• Like 1

1. moonlight

2. 12 years a slave

3. spotlight

4. the artist

5. birdman

6. argo

7. the king's speech

ALSO

1. return of the king

2. no country for old men

3. the hurt locker

4. the departed

5. gladiator

6. chicago

7. slumdog millionaire

8. a beautiful mind

9. crash

10. million dollar baby

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

ALSO

1. return of the king

2. no country for old men

3. the hurt locker

4. the departed

5. gladiator

6. chicago

7. slumdog millionaire

8. a beautiful mind

9. crash

10. million dollar baby

This , no really , This 

Change hurt locker with MDB and it is perfect 

1. unforgiven

2. titanic

3. silence of the lambs

4. schindler's list

5. shakespeare in love

6. braveheart

7. forrest gump

8. the english patient

9. dances with wolves

10. american beauty

and then

1. amadeus

2. ordinary people

3. terms of endearment

4. the last emperor

5. platoon

6. gandhi

7. chariots of fire

8. out of africa

9. rain man

10. driving miss daisy

the 80s best picture line up totally reinforces my point about it being cinema's worst decade. like half of these are total stinkers

• Like 1