Ezen Baklattan

2017 Critics/Alternate Awards Discussion

Supporting Actor is next

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

The Phantom Thread is a surprise out of field left-choice. Also glad to see that The Shape of Water got a runner-up nom. That score is one of the best of the year. 

No it's not :lol: Then again, many aren't expecting a PT sweep :ph34r: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

I'm honestly going with Phantom Thread as the Oscar winner for Score if it's eligible (a significant portion of the score is adapted)

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Oh yeah, I forget the L.A. film critic awards also went hard for The Master. The score was a runner-up back in 2012. 

Yep, LAFCA has a good history with DDL and PTA's films.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm honestly going with Phantom Thread as the Oscar winner for Score if it's eligible (a significant portion of the score is adapted)

Yep, LAFCA has a good history with DDL and PTA's films.

It's probably ineligible. There Will Be Blood's score was also disqualified for using / adapting a lot of pre-existing music as well.

• Sad 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Given that the film has a few main characters, it makes more sense to push him in supporting. 

Eh, you can make a decent argument that he's the second lead of the film. He certainly has the biggest character arc of anyone in the movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Production Design will be Phantom Thread or Shape of Water, so it shouldn't take too long to decide. Supporting Actor had at least 3 people in the conversation and probably 5-6 (CMBYN guys/Mitchell).

oh wow i was right on this :hahaha: 

Just now, 4815162342 said:

Eh, you can make a decent argument that he's the second lead of the film. He certainly has the biggest character arc of anyone in the movie.

Yeah, and given that LAFCA pushed Patricia Arquette into lead for Boyhood, the same might have happened here. A runner-up is still a good boost considering 3B hasn't gotten into any major awards yet.