aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

Just now, The Last Panda said:

Around a 26m weekend would be good for Coco, that's a better drop than Moana and Frozen.

Coco could possibly push past Moana domestic if it has great drops like that.

$250m domestic isn't out of the question at least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Rogue One was a failure because it didn't outgross Force Awakens

R1 didnt even manage to gross more than TFA 10-Day cume. #Embarrassing #EpicFail #NotanEvent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

A giant fish eating a dinosaur? :gold:

OMG a Mosasaur is NOT a fish, its a marine reptil.

And YES, the end-fight of JW is one of the best climaxes of any blockbuster ever. Fight me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

OMG a Mosasaur is NOT a fish, its a marine reptil.

And YES, the end-fight of JW is one of the best climaxes of any blockbuster ever. Fight me.

Oh, you're a dinosaur nerd.

That explains your second statement. :sparta:

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

No moving of posts. It's just funny watching the same jokers who call JL a "disaster" by comparing it to other big-budget comic book movies aren't doing the same for CoCo, a big budget Pixar blockbuster.

CoCo should be compared with Finding Nemo, Up, the Incredibles, and all the other top Pixar box office draws, and judged with the same critical eye, rather than salivating over stuff like "wow, CoCo only dropped 32.784% wednesday to thursday !!!" even though it only grossed $2.3 million or whatever on thursday, and hasn't even hit $90m DOM yet. 

It's not just that we're comparing JL to other big budget comic books movies, it's that we are comparing it to the big budget comic book movie it was clearly wanting to be - The Avengers.  

We comp Pixar to Pixar all the time.  But we do it logically, like Toy Story 3 was comped against TS2 adjusted and Dory to Nemo adjusted.  And we all recognized the bomb that was TGD.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm sorry but Jurassic World was huge for a reason.  People loved it.  People loved seeing dinosaurs fight, they loved seeing Chris Pratt, they loved seeing dinosaurs on motorcycles.  It didn't have a huge opening and great legs for no reason.

seems rather forgettable compared to Avatar, Titanic, SW7 though ...

Its a huge hit but to me its like the DMC of the 2010s to me. A rather decent serviceable Summer Mega Blockbuster. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

The thing is, dinosaurs are still very much a novelty. We have seemingly a new comic book movie every month since the mid 2000s, but a movie about dinosaurs fighting, Chris Pratt and Mercedes still outgrossed every SH movie ever.

Which makes me a happy dinosaur fan :)

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I'm sorry but Jurassic World was huge for a reason.  People loved it.  People loved seeing dinosaurs fight, they loved seeing Chris Pratt, they loved seeing dinosaurs on motorcycles.  It didn't have a huge opening and great legs for no reason.

Eh, Bayformers 2 outgrossed Inception.

A movie with giant robot testicles, racist carictures, and a guy with his pants around his ankles who ask for toilet paper outgrossed Inception.

So, I'm not sure how valid your reasons are.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Eh, Bayformers 2 outgrossed Inception.

A movie with giant robot testicles, racist carictures, and a guy with his pants around his ankles who ask for toilet paper outgrossed Inception.

So, I'm not sure how valid your reasons are.

ROTF barely even got a 2x off of its 5-day opening while Inception got a 4.65x.  I fail to see your point.  Inception was clearly more well received than ROTF.

49 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

No moving of posts. It's just funny watching the same jokers who call JL a "disaster" by comparing it to other big-budget comic book movies aren't doing the same for CoCo, a big budget Pixar blockbuster.

CoCo should be compared with Finding Nemo, Up, the Incredibles, and all the other top Pixar box office draws, and judged with the same critical eye, rather than salivating over stuff like "wow, CoCo only dropped 32.784% wednesday to thursday !!!" even though it only grossed $2.3 million or whatever on thursday, and hasn't even hit $90m DOM yet. 

But here's the differences between those, junior: 1) those movies had much bigger marketing pushes than the one Coco got, and 2) they were released in the Summer (except Incredibles, which was coming a year after the juggernaut Finding Nemo; while Coco is following... Cars 3; and Incredibles' final total is similar to that of Moana's, another Disney Thanksgiving release, and it will be similar to that of Coco's, when all's said and done), and no time frame is better than Summer to release a family animation.

Furthermore, Coco isn't the culmination of years' worth of buildup within a franchise, and the coming together of some of the most iconic characters ever, is it? And, btw, Coco will outgross Justice League worldwide. Like, that's almost a lock at this point.

"BUT NO, MY CLUB STILL HAS A SHOT AND DISNEY SUUUUUUUUCKS! WAAAAHHHHH TROLOLOLOLOLOOO"

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1