aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

HOLY FUCK, A 69K PTA FOR THE DISASTER ARTIST??????????? :ohmygod: 

This is crossing 10M next weekend for sure. I don't see how theaters wouldn't want a piece of that :ohmygod: 

I'm interested if there's any frontloading to it this weekend. For some reason I still can't see anyone who hasn't seen The Room taking much of an interest in this.

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm interested if there's any frontloading to it this weekend. For some reason I still can't see anyone who hasn't seen The Room taking much of an interest in this.

I recommended to my mom the book and she loved it and can’t wait for the movie.  She’s never seen The Room either

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

If the PTA was around 40-50k, I'd see those concerns, but nearly 70k is too damn impressive for it not to be big in wide release. It'll play like a James Franco comedy and not a niche movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I watch pretty much every major movie, whether it interests me greatly or not.  It's part of being a part of the conversation, for me.  I love film, so I go out of my way to see as many films as I can.

I didn't like the Underworld series and I still watched the 5th movie this year, but you don't see people yelling at me for not just ignoring that film.

So, the problem is you, my friend.

"I use pretty much every drug, whether it interests me greatly or not.  It's part of being a part of the conversation, for me.  I love drugs, so I go out of my way to use as many drugs as I can. BUT I DON'T WANT WEED IN THIS WORLD ANYMORE"

(I know, it's not such a good metaphor.)

• Like 1

Stolen from Awards Watch's box office thread:

it's also only the sixth movie to ever have a PTA above $60,000 in over 10 theaters:

Precious - $104,025 PTA in 18 theaters ($47.6 million final total)
Lincoln - $85,846 in 11 ($182.7 million)
Black Swan - $80,212 in 18 ($107 million)
Up in the Air - $78,763 in 15 ($83.8 million)
The Blair Witch Project - $63,811 in 31 theaters ($140.5 million)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

4). Thor: Ragnarok (DIS), 3,148 theaters (-133) / $2.3M Fri/ 3-day cume: $9.36M (-44%) / Total cume: $291M / Wk 5

Is that Friday number for Thor right? Cause I don’t see how they did to get to 9.36M weekend from a 2.3M Friday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Thor is gaining on JL fast :sparta:

After doing some calculations Thor's 21.6 weekend number was about 23% of JL's opening weekend number of 93.8.

After JL's second weekend Thor was running at 41%

If you take Deadline's estimates for this weekend that percentage increases to 59%

So it's basically been gaining on JL by 18% every weekend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

If that hold:

FB: $18,118,111 weekend, 183,080,514 at that time, for a 234m run

MJ2: $$18,857,547 weekend, 227,369,547 total, for a 281.6m run

If JL continue to follow Fantastic beast (do has well relative legs than FB:)

15.8/18.1*(234-183)+196.5 = 241m

If JL continue to follow MJ2:

15.8/18.85*(281.6-227.4)+196.5 = 242m

Relative trend:

Those 2 had a good -40 drop for the next weekend, but JL -61% is very similar to their 3 weekend drop and like them there is not really much competition on wide new release for a while, it could follow theirs trajectories or not too far from the 240m dbo from now on I guess.

They did: 30m and 35m after December 15 and were better counter programming to the Star Wars competition I imagine.

If JL next week hold is similar then I think it’s getting to 240dom.

That’s roughly a 2.6x.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Except the two links don't prove what you claim they do. So let's try this again and see if it sinks in:

"You post two quotes that don't prove anything, nor anything about JL's costs, and then say "so no ..." as if you've proved something. Amazing."

JL has a reported $300M budget and is heading for $700M at most, Coco is heading for at least $700M, maybe even $900M on a $175M-$225M budget.

• Like 2