DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

2 minutes ago, mredman said:

can't be good at all for the entertainment business that Disney is now a monopoly and will Disney now even make normal movies now like FOX used to do. This deal is very bad

Yes, they will still make "normal" movies. Fox Searchlight is staying intact. 

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Went away in good part due to a destruction of value and price reduction, if they would try to make CD money from streaming piracy would still be going on:

the-future-of-music-industry-3-638.jpg?c

Adjusted for inflation the drop was spectacular, 28.6 b to 10.7 billion, a 65% drop.

You can fully pirate the CD experience of musics, you can fully pirates the streaming experience (and will be if it is not kept to a really low price, like music did and now Netflix do), you cannot pirate fully the theatrical experience (or the live music show) and if you try to do the current windows money just from streaming, piracy would probably still be going on because of the price point you would need to charge for it.

The issue is you are seeing either your mega blockbuster doing really or the small indie films doing well.

The mid-level films are not doing great. 

Hollywood is really benefiting from certain franchises being massive cash cows.

Put into perspective

Spiderman, Raganorak and GOTG2 alone would be responsible for almost 10% of tickets sold this year. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

7 minutes ago, mredman said:

can't be good at all for the entertainment business that Disney is now a monopoly and will Disney now even make normal movies now like FOX used to do. This deal is very bad

Again.  Disney is not close to being a monopoly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

If the studios are making less of them, that's how we know.    Studios like making money.  If there is a market there, they are certainly not going to ignore it.

That market response is in part right, but also in part not fully in force here.

1) Movies are not making revenues only from the movie, 2 equally loved by audience movies, some studio would still prefer the one that generate toys/video games to sales between the 2

2) Between 2 movie that are has loved the one that can generate a sequel will be the one a studio exec prefer.

3) International, intl business is a big part of the pie, between 2 movie has loved by a big part of audience, the one that can appeal (and pass the local government censorship) a studio exec will prefer the one that can play everywhere.

There is some force in play here outside what people like to watch when they actually watch it. I doubt the percentage of people that actually watched Whiplash and liked it is particularly lower than the first Ninga Turtle movie for example.

8 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Yes, they will still make "normal" movies. Fox Searchlight is staying intact. 

If Searchlight are now the normal movies and not called the specialty small movies (and that perception is getting true, I heard mid budget talk about Logan Lucky (with an under 30m price tags), that just show how far we got into that new reality.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, Barnack said:

If Searchlight are now the normal movies and not called the specialty small movies (and that perception is getting true, I heard mid budget talk about Logan Lucky (with an under 30m price tags), that just show how far we got into that new reality.

Thats why I put it in quotes lol. I still believe Searchlight is specialty. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Literally if Disney is not a monopoly there are no monopolies in any department.

A loose definition of monopoly needs 90% market share for one company.  Disney + Fox isn't close.

Edited by The Last Panda
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Last Panda said:

A loose definition of monopoly needs 90% market share for one country.  Disney + Fox isn't close.

When I use the word monopoly (and I bet most of other people do so as well), I don't go with the strict definition of the term, I know exactly what it means.

By calling Disney a monopoly you state the fact that they have an excessive control of the market making it veryy difficult for other brands to compete with them.

But yeah, you are not wrong either. It is a matter of understanding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XO21 said:

Iger doesn't want to anger the Elites of the West and East coasts and he will provide them comfort food with plenty of Indie/AMPAS/Sundace interchangeable movies.

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

"The Writers Guild of America issued a statement on Thursday criticizing the deal as a further consolidation of power which will make it even tougher for creatives to get fair wages."

Maybe the writers of The Walking Dead got word on this deal months in advance....would explain a lot.

• Sad 1

Who really knows if the quality of films with decline or incline from this, because that's what really matters. I want new films what make me feel things, things I like to feel or feelings I've never felt before.

If we narrow the perspective to Avatar though... to be honest.

GIVE ME THAT INFLATED CRITIC SCORES :bop:

GIVE ME THOSE TV SPOTS AFTER TV SPOTS:bouncy:

GIVE ME THOSE PANDORAN VEGETABLE PACKAGINGS:rofl:

GIVE ME THAT DISNEY QUEEN NEYTIRI :circles:

GIVE ME $4 BILLION DOLLARS WORLD WIDE :OMG:

:chaplin:

Edited by IronJimbo