Ezen Baklattan

AWARDS SEASON 17/18: General Discussion

I think The Shape of Water has the capacity to sweep. And I mean seriously sweep. We'll just have to see how well it does at the box office, but if this film strikes a chord with moviegoers, it can definitely sweep. It's that cross between traditional and new-age that can put it above the pack regardless of its SAG ensemble miss.

I'm gonna be pissed as hell if Darkest Hour ends up getting a ton of love at BAFTA and ends up riding that and good box office to a lot of Oscar noms including Best Picture. Movie is the most shameless piece of Oscar-baiting to come along in a long ass time, even more so than The Danish Girl.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm gonna be pissed as hell if Darkest Hour ends up getting a ton of love at BAFTA and ends up riding that and good box office to a lot of Oscar noms including Best Picture. Movie is the most shameless piece of Oscar-baiting to come along in a long ass time, even more so than The Danish Girl.

I have yet to see the film but I hope I'll be able to have a different opinion. From trailers and articles I've read, this doesn't seem like it was made just for Oscars. It feels like the film was made to be much more genuine than that. Just because it's WWII themed, and just because it features many speeches by Churchill, doesn't necessarily have to mean it's an Oscar bait.

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Jeez. My best friend was trying to talk me into seeing it for myself this coming weekend cause he loved it. I don't like Joe Wright's films at all so I'm a bit hesitant. 

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

Jeez. My best friend was trying to talk me into seeing it for myself this coming weekend cause he loved it. I don't like Joe Wright's films at all so I'm a bit hesitant. 

Gary Oldman is great (like he always is) but the movie itself is just flat and boring overall. And it has a scene towards the end that might be the most cringe-worthy thing I've seen in eons. Disappointing considering Joe Wright made Pride & Prejudice and Atonement (movies that had all the potential to be lifeless experiences) really engaging IMO.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, filmlover said:

Well , danish girl did miss the BP nom . I'm hoping the same happens with darkest hour 

Real question:

When do you think Hollywood will scrap gender categories for Actor/Actress?  I say when because I think it’s inevitable at some point.

Mostly due to open gender identification is a progressive issue so Hollywood may want to follow suit in support at some point.  I think in the next 25 years this could happen and we just have “Best Performance” and “Best Supporting Performance”

33 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Real question:

When do you think Hollywood will scrap gender categories for Actor/Actress?  I say when because I think it’s inevitable at some point.

Mostly due to open gender identification is a progressive issue so Hollywood may want to follow suit in support at some point.  I think in the next 25 years this could happen and we just have “Best Performance” and “Best Supporting Performance”

That would do a lot more harm than good if men will them all.

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That would do a lot more harm than good if men will them all.

I personally agree but I also don’t think it’d happen in the near future.  Hollywood could (hopefully) be structurally different in 20-25 years time where there’ll be more gender equality.

2 hours ago, The Last Panda said:

Real question:

1 hour ago, The Last Panda said:

I personally agree but I also don’t think it’d happen in the near future.  Hollywood could (hopefully) be structurally different in 20-25 years time where there’ll be more gender equality.

If they did this, then it would mean they may have to decrease the amount of performers that are recognized for the award. And even if they expand the nomination amount to accommodate for the change, there may be years when more men and on the list than women, or more women are on the list than men. So it is my personal opinion and prediction that, even with incoming leaps in gender-equality, actor and actress categories will, and should, continue to be split, so that there is a guaranteed equality between the amount of men nominated and the amount of women nominated.

Gender-equality does not and should not mean the disregard of gender differences, you know what I mean?

If they made that change for some reason, I guess I wouldn't have an immediate heart attack or anything, but I still disagree with it.

5 minutes ago, slambros said:

If they did this, then it would mean they may have to decrease the amount of performers that are recognized for the award. And even if they expand the nomination amount to accommodate for the change, there may be years when more men and on the list than women, or more women are on the list than men. So it is my personal opinion and prediction that, even with incoming leaps in gender-equality, actor and actress categories will, and should, continue to be split, so that there is a guaranteed equality between the amount of men nominated and the amount of women nominated.

Gender-equality does not and should not mean the disregard of gender differences, you know what I mean?

If they made that change for some reason, I guess I wouldn't have an immediate heart attack or anything, but I still disagree with it.

I’m not talking from a gender equality standpoint.  I’m talking about people who don’t identify as a male or female, etc.

I think theres at least 20 years though before this is even something really discussed.

10 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

I’m not talking from a gender equality standpoint.  I’m talking about people who don’t identify as a male or female, etc.

I think theres at least 20 years though before this is even something really discussed.

Yeah, I think it'll be a while until it becomes a real situation, too.

Even then, I would want them to keep Best Actor and Best Actress intact. Maybe they could add a third set of acting categories for those people- though I could see why that would be tough to implement, because then some actors and actresses would suddenly declare themselves to be a different gender just to have a chance at an Oscar (an action that seems fraudulent to me).

Or maybe, they could change it to Best Performer in a Male Role and Best Performer in a Female Role. But then, there might also be different gender roles that could be left out.

I'm just brainstorming here...

• Like 1

I think there's a danger of becoming overly pandering towards minorities. 

Sure, we need more diversity, but how many performers are there that do not identify as either male or female? Then, how many are even good enough to get nominated?

If you really want to, then as was suggested above, best performance of a male/female character would then get them inside. That, or you could have a 3rd category that also includes stop motion, voice acting etc. 

• Like 1

FINAL PREDICTIONS:

Spoiler

BEST PICTURE

Call Me By Your Name

Dunkirk

The Florida Project

Get Out

I, Tonya

Lady Bird

The Post

The Shape of Water

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO

BEST DIRECTOR

Sean Baker (The Florida Project)

Guillermo Del Toro (The Shape of Water)

Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird)

Martin McDonagh (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO)

Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk)

BEST ACTOR

Timothee Chalamet (Call Me By Your Name)

Daniel Day-Lewis (Phantom Thread)

Tom Hanks (The Post)

Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out)

Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)

BEST ACTRESS

Sally Hawkins (The Shape of Water)

Frances McDormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO)

Margot Robbie (I, Tonya)

Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird)

Meryl Streep (The Post)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Willem Dafoe (The Florida Project)

Armie Hammer (Call Me By Your Name)

Richard Jenkins (The Shape of Water)

Christopher Plummer (All The Money in the World)

Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Mary J. Blige (Mudbound)

Holly Hunter (The Big Sick)

Allison Janney (I, Tonya)

Laurie Metcalf (Lady Bird)

Octavia Spencer (The Shape of Water)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Get Out

Lady Bird

I, Tonya

The Shape of Water

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Call Me By Your Name

The Disaster Artist

Hostiles

Molly's Game

Mudbound

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Alexandre Desplat (The Shape of Water)

Jonny Greenwood (Phantom Thread)

Dario Marianelli (Darkest Hour)

Thomas Newman (Victoria & Abdul)

Hans Zimmer (Dunkirk)

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

"It Ain't Fair" (Detroit)

"Mystery of Love" (Call Me By Your Name)

"Mighty River" (Mudbound)

"Remember Me" (Coco)

"This is Me" (The Greatest Showman)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

The Breadwinner

Coco

Ferdinand

The LEGO Batman Movie

Loving Vincent

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

City of Ghosts

Faces Places

Icarus

Jane

Last Men in Aleppo

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FEATURE

A Fantastic Woman

Foxtrot

In The Fade

Loveless

The Square

BEST FILM EDITING

Baby Driver

Dunkirk

I, Tonya

The Shape of Water

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Blade Runner: 2049

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

Mudbound

The Shape of Water

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

Murder on the Orient Express

The Shape of Water

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Beauty and the Beast

The Darkest Hour

Murder on the Orient Express

Phantom Thread

The Shape of Water

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING

Darkest Hour

I, Tonya

Wonder

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Dunkirk

The Shape of Water

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

War for the Planet of the Apes

BEST SOUND MIXING

Baby Driver

Dunkirk

Get Out

The Shape of Water

BEST SOUND EDITING

Baby Driver

Dunkirk

The Shape of Water

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

A part of me thinks The Florida Project makes it but a large part of me is leaning towards it not happening. I dunno. It feels like Call Me by Your Name overshadowed it for that title of Small Movie That Everybody Likes, and Lady Bird became A24's main priority by a wide margin. Would feel better about it had it shown up somewhere.