I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that James Wan is the most successful Master of Horror ever (too early to gauge influence). Not even Carpenter can claim the number of lucrative franchises and universes that Wan spawned (Saw, Insidious, Conjuring).   

On 06/01/2018 at 10:12 PM, Maxmoser3 said:

Very good start for the genre this year! Insidious 4 is the first horror film to come out in the first weekend of January since Texas Chainsaw 3D did back in 2013! 

16 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Those did lower than their predecessors and died after their opening weekend. 

Huh?? That’s not what I was replying to. You said it was the first horror to come out in the first weekend of January since Texas Chainsaw. But I told you there were 3 other films/years in between. 

None of us mentioned their performances. 

:winomg:

16 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Insidious 4’s debut is really good and should be the first horror film in January(discluding Split) to actually have a strong debut. If it’s legs are ok it could match Mama’s domestic total. 

This is wrong as well if you’re talking about debuts.

Texas Chainsaw, Hostel, White Noise, Cloverfield, The Devil Inside, Mama, Hide and Seek, The Unborn, My Bloody Valentine. 

They all had strong debuts and were release in January. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This is wrong as well if you’re talking about debuts.

Texas Chainsaw, Hostel, White Noise, Cloverfield, The Devil Inside, Mama, Hide and Seek, The Unborn, My Bloody Valentine. 

They all had strong debuts and were release in January. 

Those were all great debuts! But I was thinking about the first weekends of January horror flicks not overall in January.

So the record right now is 4 horror movies hittting $100 million in a year, you think 2018 can beat that?

I don’t really think so but then again I never would have guessed that It would break $300 or Annabelle and Get Out would break $100 million, I guess it all depends on how good the movies are. 

I can’t see Insidious crawling to $100 with its WOM, Slender Man looks poor so unless reviews surprise I doubt it. Truth Or Dare seems to be getting laughed at but again if it turns out decent it could do it. New Mutants maybe but we have no idea how much of a horror movie that will be, a post on reddit suggested it’s more action despite its trailer.

Venom and Halloween I think are so far the best shots at hitting $100 million and again, that all depends on the quality of both movies. 

21 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Huh?? That’s not what I was replying to. You said it was the first horror to come out in the first weekend of January since Texas Chainsaw. But I told you there were 3 other films/years in between. 

None of us mentioned their performances. 

:winomg:

I was thinking about as in the big of debuts for the first weekends of January. Like Underworld 5, Forest, and Marked Ones and Woman In Black 2 all made under $20 million opening weekend.

Texas Chainsaw made $21 million but I feel stupid now, since Insidious 4 has been the bigger start of the year since Devil Inside.

I know about Mama as that came out of nowhere and that just like Insidious 4 was supposed to come out in October of 2012 but was moved, and that was even originally was expected to be a modest success then it came out of nowhere. 

Others that you listed. Well those I remembered vividly. And their debuts are amazing too! So yes I apologize I forgot about those and the recent Split. But either way Horror 2018 is looking strong and Blumhouse is the Marvel of the horror genre and will be having some bigger hits this year. 

• Like 1

We watched Friday the 13th part 4 last night.

The attention to detail in the video game is INSANE. That’s the reason we’ve been slowly working our way through the Friday films in order. 

I’m not a big gamer but if you haven’t tried Friday the 13th I’d say it’s the most enjoyable horror game I’ve ever played. 

On 2018-01-08 at 10:55 AM, lilmac said:

I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that James Wan is the most successful Master of Horror ever (too early to gauge influence). Not even Carpenter can claim the number of lucrative franchises and universes that Wan spawned (Saw, Insidious, Conjuring).   

You must be out of your ever-loving mind, comparing Wan to the master John Carpenter. Let me know when Wan makes a movie half as good as Halloween or The Thing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

You must be out of your ever-loving mind, comparing Wan to the master John Carpenter. Let me know when Wan makes a movie half as good as Halloween or The Thing.

That really isn't fair. Wan has made very good movies, maybe not as good as Halloween, but they aren't less than half as good.

14 minutes ago, RandomYojimbo said:

That really isn't fair. Wan has made very good movies, maybe not as good as Halloween, but they aren't less than half as good.

James Wan's best movie (Conjuring?) is about 14% as good as The Thing, imo. And I might be being generous here.

• Like 1