WrathOfHan

Searching | Limited on August 24, Wide on August 31 | Sony | Trailer is out | John Cho, Debra Messing

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://deadline.com/2018/07/quentin-tarantino-zombieland-2-little-women-white-boy-rick-sony-release-dates-1202429051/

Deadline also states that Searching starts out limited, then expands on Labor Day weekend. Bit of an odd scheduling decision, but let's see what happens.

That's not a terrible idea tbh. It can help maximize the TC and potentially get it to #1 that weekend.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's not a terrible idea tbh. It can help maximize the TC and potentially get it to #1 that weekend.

I guess, but this doesn't seem like a movie that would benefit from starting out on a limited release, especially with Operation Finale coming out on the weekend it goes wide, and to a lesser extent. Considering Don't Breathe did super well in the same release frame, although I obviously don't think this will do as well as that film, I don't see the point in this release strategy. But of course that's just me.

Caught a screening of this yesterday.

I thought it was pretty damn great. The acting is uniformly great, and this is easily John Cho's best work to date. Unlike Unfriended 2, this actually utilizes its gimmick effectively; you've never seen computer screens look so cinematic. It's an emotional experience, too, and I was close to tears on a couple occasions. *Minor spoilers for the beginning of the film*

Spoiler

I was not ready for the opening to evoke Pixar's Up.

One criticism I have is I do think the last couple twists are a bit much, but they're at least hinted at prior in some clever ways. Overall, I highly recommend it and hope it does well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

So they pushed back the wide release now?

It was probably a wise decision; the only competing wide releases are the undermarketed Kin and a spanish-language film from the ones who distributed Overboard, so the film is well positioned to perform like Wind River.

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

First Alpha and now this, what's going on at Sony

It could leg out to a decent total domestic though, it only cost them $5 million

tbf, this one has more to do with recent events. Last week it was slated to open in 2k theaters, but Sony just slashed it down to 1,100 today. It's a hard sell to the GA right now; several people in my Crazy Rich Asians showing said this after the Searching trailer played.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1