WrathOfHan

Searching | Limited on August 24, Wide on August 31 | Sony | Trailer is out | John Cho, Debra Messing

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/sundance-search-john-cho-sold-sony-1202672215/

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has nabbed global rights to “Search,” a thriller starring John Cho and Debra Messing.

The film follows a father’s search for his missing teenage daughter, primarily focusing on his online detective work. The clues he picks up are found on her laptop. The film is shot from the point-of-view of smartphones and computer screens — something that sounds gimmicky, but a creative choice that apparently resonated with buyers who were circling the project. The deal was for a sizable $5 million. That’s a hefty price considering that neither Cho nor Messing are box office draws.

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has been active at this year’s festival, picking up foreign rights to Brett Haley’s “Hearts Beat Loud” and Debra Granik’s “Leave No Trace.” Otherwise, it’s been a slow market for Sundance debuts. Bleecker Street and 30West bought “Colette” with Keira Knightley, and studios are circling the likes of “Juliet, Naked” and “Blindspotting,” but buyers are being more cautious. Sundance has a history of having films play through the roof only to collapse when audiences see them outside of the thin Park City air.

CAA and Endeavor Content represented the filmmakers. Aneesh Chaganty directed the movie and co-wrote it with Sev Ohanian. It marks Chaganty’s feature film debut.

This has been getting strong reviews out of Sundance, and the premise sounds super appealing for a GA. This could breakout big.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

I was intrigued by this film when I saw it on multiple Sundance-films-to-watch-out-for lists. I'm confident that the film wouldn't have been purchased for $5 million dollars if it were meritless, so I am rooting for this film to succeed, both for the very competent John Cho and for more confidence in subversive filmmaking. Here's hoping the activists that clamor for more leading role opportunities for people of color put their money where their mouths are when this film hits theaters.

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The deal was for a sizable $5 million. That’s a hefty price considering that neither Cho nor Messing are box office draws.

Is it though for a company like Sony? That is barely more than an episode of television.

What is the budget of all those Netflix movies?

• Like 1

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=&release=&date=2018-08-03&showweeks=5&p=.htm

According to Box Office Mojo, the film has been renamed Searching and is set to release wide on August 3rd against Darkest Minds, Christopher Robin, Mile 22, and The Spy Who Dumped Me. Personally, I think they should reconsider and place the film on a date when there are less films scheduled to release, no matter how high profile those films are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

I think it would be a smart call to debut this with Breaking In. People are starting to notice Breaking In, and that would give it a substantial three months of time for advertising.

• Like 1