La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

7 hours ago, The Futurist said:

A24 must be stopped and migrate to a streaming service, where it belongs.

I imagine you are not serious like for 95% of your output, but why the amount of resources those movies take and the amount of screen they takes is quite low, it is quite easy to create the exact same world that if they do not exist by not watching those movies ?

That start to sound like someone that would say: I hated each transformer more than the previous one, instead of just not watching them after 2/3 bad one in a row and the new one getting the same type of reactions.... I get the curiosity factor and that ok, but why go whine about it on the Internet....

7 hours ago, The Futurist said:

These fucking A24 directors, they truly deserve each other, sweet fucking jesus.

:wintf:
:redcapes:

:gold:

This had basicaly 95%  of the DNA of The Witch., it was uncanny but yeah :

:bash::rolleyes:

My rant from a few pages describe the movie to a T and I didn't even see trailers from the movie, it is quite hilarious to be honest.

A24 must be stopped and migrate to a streaming service, where it belongs.

I'm relatively new to BOT, so can someone explain to me if The Futurist is a parody account or what?

• Like 1

Just now, Pure Spirit said:

I'm relatively new to BOT, so can someone explain to me if The Futurist is a parody account or what?

it's actually an edgelord bot that i created that's programmed to write the same post about how indie movies aren't cool on every page for these type of movies. i'm sorry i don't know how to switch it off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Rian Johnson & the guy who made this movie are doing the exact same thing :

subvert expectations for the sake of subverting expectations while forgetting in the process to tell an interesting and coherent story.

Like in TLJ, each scene is played in an unsual way, trying  hard to come up with something somewhat new & edgy & "out there" & surprising.

Like in TLJ, the process falls apart pretty quickly and the movie collapses totally  in the last act to the point of ridicule.

This is the exact reason why The Last Jedi & Hereditary had such good reviews or had so many champions in the cinephile circles , they managed to surprise jaded people like film critics or hardcore cinephiles who see an abnormal number of movies a year so If these people feel surprised, it s automaticaly a plus in their point of view, no matter how bad and lame the surprise is.

The Last Jedi & Hereditary chug along just because the writer said so in scene 4, without much rhyme or reason.

In The Last Jedi, you realize how all the scenes make little sense pieced together , in Hereditary, you have to fill the blanks you idiot, ellipses, BRUH !!!!!

"Do I have to explain everything to you doofus ?" the director said on  the set of Hereditary to his assistant or to his editor in the editing room.

Hopefully, the directors of TLJ and Hereditary will come around and start making great cinema, these two directors have potential I would say.

I liked Looper.

As for this movie & most of those A/24 horror/thriller movies, I really don't care that you know how to create JUST (edit for Jake Gittes) tension & uneasy atmosphere, tell me a story instead.

That s not a lot to ask.

Or is it ?

:thinking:

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

This is the exact reason why The Last Jedi & Hereditary had such good reviews or had so many champions in the cinephile circles , they managed to surprise jaded people like film critics or hardcore cinephiles who see an abnormal number of movies a year so If these people feel surprised, it s automaticaly a plus in their point of view, no matter how bad and lame the surprise is.

That is one big distinction between a 400 movie a year critics and an 4 movie a year for sure, not that the 400 movie a year having see so many misfire do not appreciated a well executed cliche to the max movie like Halloween (that a good example of a movie without any story, just a tension and atmosphere built to live in), Titanic, It's follows, etc....

But in this case, was Hereditary working because it subverted the genre or surprised critics ? How was it not a straightforward horror movie trying to make you feel creepy and horrified ? Except for the unclear rules and it is destiny to happen anyway we just witness the way it did (thus the over the top complex plan finally working).

And I will agree, even thought atheistic and cinematic vision is much more important than story (something you can read on wikipedia no need for a movie at all, to just tell a story what a waste of time and money), the best movie are those you achieve to find a story just not bad enough to not distract you against the rest and that match the movie making.

Edited by Barnack

My problems with Hereditary and TLJ are exactly the same :

to me it feels the engine of creation and writing is :

how can I subvert expectations for this scene ?

It is THE obsession of these filmmakers ( both writers) in their films.

Johnson was playing with the Star Wars codes & tropes, Hereditary was playing with horror codes and a very famous trope we ve all seen Thousands of times.

In theory that approach seems very interesting, but to me at least, It feels disingenuous and dishonest because the story never really come together in both films.

These directors seem to be more obsessed to show how big of smart asses they can be (oh you did not see that one coming , did you ?, see what I just did, brilliant, no ?) instead of telling me a genuine, compelling story I won't be able to forget.

These filmmakers are post modern to a fault.

In both films, some scenes and moments  are genuinely terrific pieces of filmmaking, but damn, the narrative in both films is abysmal.

Set pieces in Star Wars are mostly great, horror and slow burn tension scenes in Hereditary are mostly great, but none of these scenes ever come together in the end, the connective tissue is just not there.

You remember some moments sure, but that's it.

Hence the violent rejection from audiences for both films, from the Joes & Janes of this world.

Those basic bitches.

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hmm. Thought Hereditary was pretty straightforward and essentially plays well within the outline of the subgenre of horror it is. Didn't feel like it subverted much of anything. Last Jedi did for sure though.

From your POV maybe, ask Joe & Jane or the audiences that saw the movie with me today, they all had that

"what the fuck did I just watch" or the ":rolleyes:" or ":bash:" look on their faces trust me.

You won't convince much people Hereditary is your run-of-the-mill horror flick.

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

From your POV maybe, ask Joe & Jane or the audiences that saw the movie with me today, they all had that

"what the fuck did I just watch" or the ":rolleyes:" or ":bash:" look on their faces trust me.

It's pretty standard fare for its sub-genre of horror. 

It even mirrors arguably the most famous, widely known film in said sub-genre almost to a fault.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's pretty standard fare it's sub-genre of horror. 

It even mirrors arguably the famius, widely known film in said sub-genre almost to a fault.

Let s agree to disagree while watching the audiences score free falling on various websites. (IMDB is strong tho).

2 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

All you need to know about him/her/whatever:

• he is obsessed with Jennifer Lawrence and thinks that even "Passengers" is good
  • his definition of masterful cinema is the Marvel Cinematic Universe
  • he thinks that every movie not helmed by any of the MCU's  rent-a-directors is "pretentious"
  • 98 % of his posts elicit "WTF!" or "Is this a parody account?" from half the board. The other half just ignores him.
Edited by StevenG
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Not understanding, finding slow or disliking something does not mean it is subverting the genre.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not understanding, finding slow or disliking something does not mean it is subverting the genre.

Having Ten Thousands ellipses is subverting the genre to most people I am sorry to announce, amongst plenty of other things in the movie I cannot go into details without spoiling.

Not understanding, finding slow

I personally  blame the bad educationnal systems in western countries for having audiences that are that basic and cannot grasp the genius of Hereditary.

Edited by The Futurist

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So the takeaway from that is that they've been force-fed so much formulaic product they don't even know how to react to anything remotely different. I'd hope they have enough instincts left to, y'know, think about what the fuck they just watched and what they can take away from it, good or bad. 

Film, like all arts, should be about expression, not pandering. And you can criticize the result all you want if you don't like it, but all your endless grandstanding about how a movie is bad because The People Are Displeased is nothing but reverse snobbery that puts the lowest common denominator on a pedestal, and it devalues anything sensible you may ever have to say. 

And come on. Connective tissue? This isn't in any way some experimental movie. The story is not hard to piece together. The movie even spells out its own damn theme in one of the classroom scenes so you don't have to actively look for it. Don't even get me started on The Last Jedi good fucking lord.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Having Ten Thousands ellipses is subverting the genre to most people I am sorry to announce, amongst plenty of other things in the movie I cannot go into details without spoiling.

Not understanding, finding slow

I thought we were in the spoiler / review thread... you could do it there.

I personally  blame the bad educationnal systems in western countries for having audiences that are that basic and cannot grasp the genius of Hereditary.

I think the very fuzzy rules and it's absence of them even is what people that were not fully captivated /  entrenched by the ambiance set had issue with (at least my main issue) and after reading an interview 

Spoiler

apparently the absence of rules and the fatalism/lack of possible control of the family about what it is about to certainly happen was part of the point.

• Like 1

like an artist adding the finishing touches to his painting, futurist stares at his post and thinks "it's good, but there must be a way to make it more insufferable... of course! i can strenuously connect it to the same complaints about the last jedi that have been repeated over and over again in 400 different threads in the last six months!" 

we were in trouble for a second there, we almost had a thread where someone wasn't whining about star wars.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1