Taylor

Weekend Thread: 50SF - 38.8m, PR - 25m, 15:17 - 12.6m

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I read somewhere last year 55m is the budget for both sequels combined

We even saw last year people writing that it was 20m for both sequels combined.....

http://www.crossmap.com/news/fifty-shades-darker-production-schedule-budget-news-spoilers-release-date-updates-23962

It is also interesting to note that despite the more than half a billion box office sales, the budget for Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed is just half of the budget given for Fifty Shades of Grey. Fifty Shades of Grey had a budget of $40 million. Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed seems to be sharing a production budget of only $20 million.

Simply because it was registered in the BC director guild production list as a project in the over 20m category....

https://web.archive.org/web/20160202192412/http://www.dgc.ca/bc/production_list/Production List.pdf

When it is about fanbase movies a lot of very "weak" even weaker than the weak movie trade (deadline, variety type, etc..) reporting surrounding them happen.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jumanji's Blu-Ray is releasing March 20. WTF is Sony doing? Late legs are going to be crippled! Oh, and this is a trash cover:

194075_medium.jpg

The Greatest Showman Blu-Ray also allegedly releases on March 6th. The BO fan in me is not happy about early releases for leggy runs, but I can kind of understand them wanting to maximize DVD sales at the cost of a little of the box office profits. 

• Like 2

Jumanji's Blu-Ray is releasing March 20. WTF is Sony doing? Late legs are going to be crippled! Oh, and this is a trash cover:

Nothing wrong with that home video release date, Sony wants to make as much money as possible by releasing it before Easter.

I'm grateful Wonder Woman will be keeping its spot as the Top 3 DOM movie for 2017 though.

The Greatest Showman Blu-Ray also allegedly releases on March 6th. The BO fan in me is not happy about early releases for leggy runs, but I can kind of understand them wanting to maximize DVD sales at the cost of a little of the box office profits.

I hear the home video release dates are locked in before movies are even released in theaters. Sony probably had no idea how well Jumanji was going to do anyway, they just wanted a date before Easter holiday.

Over the weekdays TGS will go ahead of Apes3 and then Cars3 next weekend for #20 on 2017 dom. Could go over all of these too...

15 Get Out Uni. $176,010,690 3,143 $33,377,060 2,781 2/24 -
16 The LEGO Batman Movie WB $175,750,384 4,088 $53,003,468 4,088 2/10 6/8
17 The Boss Baby Fox $175,003,033 3,829 $50,198,902 3,773 3/31 11/2
18 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales BV $172,558,876 4,276 $62,983,253 4,276 5/26 9/21
19 Kong: Skull Island WB $168,052,812 3,846 $61,025,472 3,846 3/10 6/15
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

If Shades sequels have been that cheap to make then I think we could get a couple more, again shot ass to ass back to back save money.

Sequels with re-negotiated cast cost would explode thought, I imagine that together would want what a 60 to 100m type of package by movie?

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

$1b could actually be a small possibility for Jumanji if it were able to hit something like 50m in Japan (860 + 50 DOM + 50 Japan + 40 other OS). Though I'm not sure how much it would appeal to that market. 

That's amazing. I think 15-t20 odd in Japan atm. But hoping it adds 10-15 more from Dom and OS-Japan than your calcs and leaving it 25-30 to get from Japan.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Sequels with re-negotiated cast cost would explode thought, I imagine that together would want what a 60 to 100m type of package by movie?

sorry, do you mean that both sequels combined would cost 60-100m? in that case it's still a low prod budget per movie.

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

$1b could actually be a small possibility for Jumanji if it were able to hit something like 50m in Japan (860 + 50 DOM + 50 Japan + 40 other OS). Though I'm not sure how much it would appeal to that market. 

Live-action films typically do poorly in Japan unless it's a musical, a Disney fairy tale, or popular franchise like Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, or Jurassic Park. I would expect a gross around $10 million in Japan for Jumanji, which seems to be the average for live-action films outside the aforementioned categories.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Live-action films typically do poorly in Japan unless it's a musical, a Disney fairy tale, or popular franchise like Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, or Jurassic Park. I would expect a gross around $10 million in Japan for Jumanji, which seems to be the average for live-action films outside the aforementioned categories.

A franchise has to start somewhere though. Pirates 1 for example wasn't a franchise film and still did 50m+ in Japan. Considering how its broken out pretty much everywhere, probably shouldn't rule it completely out.