Taylor

Weekend Thread: 50SF - 38.8m, PR - 25m, 15:17 - 12.6m

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The budget is reportedly $55m as was Darker (each not combined) , which makes sense since they were both filmed on location and the actors got raises.  Reports that they were made for less than the first never made any sense.

Still, a very good return WW

Yes, and it's apparently on track to make $140M by the end of the weekend.

4 minutes ago, REC said:

Is it R rated tho?  Strong chance Venom is some kind of neutered PG thing I think.

was under the wrong impression that was a done deal. maybe the reactions to the mellow teaser will scare them into going the opposite way and get an R.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, a2knet said:

was under the wrong impression that was a done deal. maybe the reactions to the mellow teaser will scare them into going the opposite way and get an R.

I am hoping it's an R.  I'm hoping they go full dark horror with this movie and really try scaring adults.  They could write any number of truly interesting villian/anti-hero stories around that.  But I think there's concern they won't go that route and they're looking to keep it kid friendly enough to softly merge it back into the tom holland/spiderman storyline at some point.

Of course one doesn't preclude the other.  Clever planning could keep this initial movie really dark and horrific, and later installments could find ways to merge that with spiderman.  But this is Sony we're talking about, they have no track record of cleverness.  They do the most basic, obvious and bad choice possible.  The teaser just doesn't tell us much one way or the other.

And just to be clear, by 'track record' I mean the following:

• Most of their Spiderman efforts (with the exception of 1 and 2, only held together by the efforts of Sam Raimi, all this finally fell apart with part 3, which coincidentally also had a watered down version of Venom).
  • Ghostbusters 2016

Tom Hardy gives this movie credibility, but I'm worried his credibility as an actor is about to get spent on a truly bad Venom film.  There is some chance that this movie ends up in the ballpark of Halle Berry/Catwoman, but I really hope not.

Edited by REC

7 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm pretty sure that Venom is gonna be R rated.

I think the director said that or someone from the crew confirmed that. I'm too lazy to give a link, but it's online. XD

after the success of Emoji, The Star and Peter Rabbit, I heard Sony is passing it to SPA

ybuSIo5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm pretty sure that Venom is gonna be R rated.

I think the director said that or someone from the crew confirmed that. I'm too lazy to give a link, but it's online. XD

And there's no chance the movie won't get screwed before release?  Re-edited, reshot, Sony gets cold feet?  It's not like it hasn't happened before on many projects.  The director and crew can be told and believe whatever they want.

• Like 1

Holy fuck Peter Rabbit is doing absolutely insane numbers here for the matinee. Thought it would do our equivalent of a 40M opening after last night, but with Monday being a holiday in BC, I could see it going as high as 55-60 for the 3-day

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, REC said:

And there's no chance the movie won't get screwed before release?  Re-edited, reshot, Sony gets cold feet?  It's not like it hasn't happened before on many projects.  The director and crew can be told and believe whatever they want.

Yeah, but as far as we know, it'll be R rated.

If things change, we'll be told in advance. 

10 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yeah, but as far as we know, it'll be R rated.

If things change, we'll be told in advance. 

I still don't know that.  All I see is speculation, rumor and expectations, and a teaser that doesn't establish that at all.  If the teaser had firmly locked this movie into the R rating I'd believe it, but right now I think its 50/50.

42 minutes ago, REC said:

I still don't know that.  All I see is speculation, rumor and expectations, and a teaser that doesn't establish that at all.  If the teaser had firmly locked this movie into the R rating I'd believe it, but right now I think its 50/50.

I think the teaser is pg rated. Perhaps the official trailer will be different.

Who knows? Let's wait for some months.

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think the teaser is pg rated. Perhaps the official trailer will be different.

Who knows? Let's wait for some months.

Probably if they want folks to empathize with Venom and make Carnage (assuming he is in the movie) more villanous they might make Venom fit a PG-13 mold while making Carnage R-rated so he seems more scary relatively. If both are in the film and the movie is not R-rated it's gonna be a joke.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Telehilation said:

The 50 SHADES trilogy has to be one of the most lucrative in recent years. Good for them!

Tele I am telling you. I have the perfect movie idea.

Imagine Power Rangers but with sexual intrigue.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Telehilation said:

COME TOGETHER. 

DON’T MISS THE CLIMAX. 

The taglines write themselves. 

You manage to make sex jokes sound like old dad jokes.

That’s amazing 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3