That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

I think the DCEU "Phase 1" structure was fine. Doubt we needed yet another Batman solo reboot before JL. BvS and SS's massive OW's despite everything showed people didn't want a total replication of the MCU method. It was the actual films not named Wonder Woman that left much to be desired. 

Regarding Cyborg, I think the problem is that he is nowhere near the most popular or interesting black superhero even at DC. Geoff Johns is simply pushing him because the character is one of his personal favorites. John Stewart GL, Vixen, Black Lightning and his daughters, Static Shock etc. have far more potential IMO.

I had issue with the execution too. I guess in theory it wasn't so bad.

Also I think John Stewart could make for a good solo Green Lantern in a film, especially if they used his "marine" background. I think I'd prefer that over a Cyborg film. 

31 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Yea fast-tracking Cyborg or something as a response to a Marvel breakout is kind of what got them into their recent mess that they're trying to dig out of

I'm honestly glad that DC didn't fast-track Gotham City Sirens after WW's success. The idea of David Ayer, the dudebro-iest of directors, and that's saying a lot, making a female villain team-up movie is just...wrong.

tumblr_lqegrwbSdk1qdpbdu.gif

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Regarding Cyborg, I think the problem is that he is nowhere near the most popular or interesting black superhero even at DC. Geoff Johns is simply pushing him because the character is one of his personal favorites. John Stewart GL, Vixen, Black Lightning and his daughters, Static Shock etc. have far more potential IMO.

I'm curious how Black Manta is received in Aquaman, I know he's a villain but he's one of DC's iconic black characters. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

literally had never heard of Cop Car until I saw the director of Spider Man Homecoming did a film called that

Spider Man Homecoming had a director? Judging by its blocking and visual style  I assumed it was put together by whatever line producer hit the record button that day

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder what Perlmutter would've thought of that Black Panther script and budget.

He'd probably complain about their being too many good female roles, and not enough characters that can sell toys!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I had issue with the execution too. I guess in theory it wasn't so bad.

Also I think John Stewart could make for a good solo Green Lantern in a film, especially if they used his "marine" background. I think I'd prefer that over a Cyborg film. 

I think the likelihood of John Stewart getting a solo GL film is zero, I think co-leading GLC is more realistic if they go the Lethal Weapon or Training Day route. I'd prefer to see Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz Green Lantern movie but I can't see WB/DC unsurping Hal Jordan

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Spider Man Homecoming had a director? Judging by its blocking and visual style  I assumed it was put together by whatever line producer hit the record button that day

I imagine he wandered on set by mistake and Marvel said “hey this dude has made an indie film with a few decent reviews, give him the rest of the film to work on.”  Which is marvel’s way of claiming that they promote “up and coming talent”

Edited by That One Guy

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think the likelihood of John Stewart getting a solo GL film is zero, I think co-leading GLC is more realistic if they go the Lethal Weapon or Training Day route. I'd prefer to see Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz Green Lantern movie but I can't see WB/DC unsurping Hal Jordan

Oh I know. Just as a Hal fan, I wouldn't mind John being the GL in Justice League, even if Jordan is probably gonna be the main GL. It worked in the show, it could work in a film too. 

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

guardians of the galaxy but set to Hailee Steinfeld

@WrathOfHan

If you say some silly-ass remark that "If Qween waz innit, then the movie would be better," I will buy a plane ticket all the way to Florida, track you down, and roundhouse kick you in the face.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Not to mention Johns has an unhealthy boner for Jordan. Meh. 

My feeling about how the Cyborg movie came about was this: Besides Johns' boner for him too, they looked at the potential JL movie roster and went ok we need a black member. And give him a movie just so we can stick it to Marvel (remember this was before BP was ever announced). The most obvious choice (one that George Miller would've went with if his JL film hadn't been canned) was of course Stewart's GL. And why not? He was the Lantern on the popular JL cartoon series and fans liked him. Hell when the movie came about and Reynolds was casted as Jordan, alot of folks online complained, unaware that traditionally GL in the comics who headlined that book *was* white whether Jordan or Ratner. For that people who watched that cartoon, GL *was* black. 

So anyway why didn't they do Stewart/GL? Because Johns and others at WB/DC wanted *Jordan* to be quote THE Green Lantern on the roster. Simple as that. So if you won't do the GL film around him, where else do you look? Steel wasn't happening (his movie was a big dud), Vixen? Nah. Yada yada, then came upon Cyborg. New 52 made him the "rookie" of that JL roster compared to your main eventers like Supes/Bats/whatever. Ding ding, that's the answer.

• Like 2