That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

10 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

X Men? I'd probably put them above Superman. X3 didn't have great legs, but at least it had legs, or an audience, unlike Supes 3 and 4.

Oh I meant solo characters only.

Should be pretty easy for BP to slip in the top 5 with 600 m DOM, lol.

1 1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $247,966,675 26.5% 4,134 $59,982 $936,662,225 12/18/2015
2 2 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $220,009,584 35.6% 4,232 $51,987 $618,229,777 12/15/2017
3 5 Black Panther BV $201,797,000 85.9% 4,020 $50,198 $235,000,000 2/16/2018

Third highest PTA of a wide release ever.

WOULD HAVE BEAT TA/JW WEEKEND WITH THOSE EXTRA THEATERS, DISNEY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

The new Star Wars films are far more diverse than Black Panther. Main character is a female, the two secondary leads are black & south american "latino", plus other supporting mexican, black, women actors. There's also an age difference in the cast of 41 years, compared to 35 years in Black Panther. 

I have many angry things to say about Discovery and their so-called 'diversity' but unfortunately I can't without massive spoiler tags.  But even that aside, shows have to be held to a different standard than movies because a show like star trek gets five times the amount of time to be with the characters than we do in a movie.  Also with a lot of sci-fi shows with diverse casts there's never any actual cultural influence in terms of diversity and the characters basically read like they wrote a white person and cast a poc for the role anyway.

Edit: for some reason I read "Star Trek" instead of Star Wars, but the point about there not being any cultural diversity still stands.  I'm glad Star Wars has more actors of different races, but none of them actually seem to represent any earth culture involving those races.  And this is coming from someone who has liked all of the new Star Wars movies to some degree.

Edited by Sal

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oh I thought I read that Hemsworth and Downey had signed on for more, maybe I was wrong.

I think Hemsworth said a week or two ago he's done with the character unless he gets a good script.

(Script probably being code for a huge pile of money)

• Like 1

I hate the Marvel machine conceptually and am meh on most of the movies but they've done just such a bang up job with casting/characters. Really nailed it. And that's not easy. Only ones I don't care for are Cumberbatch as Strange, the Russian or whatever they are twins from Godzilla, Bettany as Vision, and Stan as the Winter Soldier (and even then they've made that boring character as close to interesting as probably possible). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I hate the Marvel machine conceptually and am meh on most of the movies but they've done just such a bang up job with casting/characters. Really nailed it. And that's not easy. Only ones I don't care for are Cumberbatch as Strange, the Russian or whatever they are twins from Godzilla, Bettany as Vision, and Stan as the Winter Soldier (and even then they've made that boring character as close to interesting as probably possible). 

Yes!!

You are so right!

DCEU only managed to get Wonder Woman right.

Gal is goals.

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know/really care about these big team up things, but they'd be smart just to retire Iron Man/Thor/Captain America/Hulk/Hawkeye for a while and do a new Avengers movie in 2021 or 2022 with Black Panther/Captain Marvel/Spider-Man/Dr. Strange (lame)/Captain AmeriMackie/Ant-Man and the Wasp/the Black Panther supporting cast. I'd be more interested in that as a casual watcher of these than any retread.

Pretty sure that's the point of the Infinity War/Thanos stuff. To retire the original Avengers (not just for a while, but permanently). That's why Marvel's building it up as a finale: it's the end of the road for the OG Avengers cast.

(Yeah, they show up in Avengers 4 again, but it's probably just a passing of the torch kinda thing.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Sad 1