That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Marvel knew what they had when they put two Black Panther characters in the final money shot for the Avengers trailer. That's the only possible reason you can explain them being okay with throwing the Winter Soldier dude into a shot fans have apparently been waiting ten years for or whatever. 

I think Marvel would usually scoff at a 200 m budget for a solo flick but saw some test footage from Coogler and was like "just take whatever you need".

Then proceeded to make Wakanda central to IW.

I mean, they always knew they needed to build their C-list to replace RDJ and Evans eventually but they probably didn't know how viable that was until they got a taste of Coogler's vision.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Hmm.

I'm gonna move the goalpost cause BP would take years to match Iron Man by any barometer.

So who is the current top 5 biggest solo superheroes at the box office (considering each solo franchise)?

1) Batman

2) Spider-man 

3) Iron Man

4) Superman

5) ???

X Men? I'd probably put them above Superman. X3 didn't have great legs, but at least it had legs, or an audience, unlike Supes 3 and 4.

Edited by Jandrew

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I think Marvel would usually scoff at a 200 m budget for a solo flick but saw some test footage from Coogler and was like "just take whatever you need".

Why do Marvel movies even have budgets? The movies and the toys they sell print so much money they could start their own national currency.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

If 40M Monday is true, Deadpool holds over the week give it 97M weekdays. Similar Fri/Sat/Sun increases/decreases from there give it a 115M 2nd weekend.

I don't think it'll unfold quite like this, but I think there's a good chance that it could do over 100M next weekend. Which is insane.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I mean, they always knew they needed to build their C-list to replace RDJ and Evans eventually but they probably didn't know how viable that was until they got a taste of Coogler's vision.

Its funny because I was reading an interview of BP’s cinematographer and she was purposely trying to make a movie completely different (read: better) than what Marvel has produced so far. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I don't know/really care about these big team up things, but they'd be smart just to retire Iron Man/Thor/Captain America/Hulk/Hawkeye for a while and do a new Avengers movie in 2021 or 2022 with Black Panther/Captain Marvel/Spider-Man/Dr. Strange (lame)/Captain AmeriMackie/Ant-Man and the Wasp/the Black Panther supporting cast. I'd be more interested in that as a casual watcher of these than any retread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know/really care about these big team up things, but they'd be smart just to retire Iron Man/Thor/Captain America/Hulk/Hawkeye for a while and do a new Avengers movie in 2021 or 2022 with Black Panther/Captain Marvel/Spider-Man/Dr. Strange (lame)/Captain AmeriMackie/Ant-Man and the Wasp/the Black Panther supporting cast. I'd be more interested in that as a casual watcher of these than any retread.

I'm pretty sure that's the idea.

• Like 2

Thor is cool now tho.

Plus I want Tessa Thompson in your hypothetical Avengers movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Black Panther is a phenomenon, man. People have wanted this for years. I've known this would be massive since I saw my Facebook feed EXPLODE after the first trailer (not quite this huge, though).

Also, on a related note, how nuts are they if they make Sebastian Stan the next Captain America instead of Anthony Mackie? There's a statement in Mackie being Captain America, and also a better actor, and also a hell of alot more money.

I want Bucky for that role with BP taking Iron Man's role.

There's just much more depth and history with Bucky verses Sam.

I mean, Anthony Mackie does a great job as the ultimate wingman but there's not much further to go with the character since most of his best moments were either humor or action related.

• Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

Thor is cool now tho.

Plus I want Tessa Thompson in your hypothetical Avengers movie.

Tessa Thompson rocks, put her and Thor in the next Guardians movie and keep all that space stuff separate for awhile after Infinity War.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, on a related note, how nuts are they if they make Sebastian Stan the next Captain America instead of Anthony Mackie? There's a statement in Mackie being Captain America, and also a better actor, and also a hell of alot more money.

A bit of a statement in both case I imagine (Stan being an immigrant), but yeah sound logical to go with Mackie and have a different Captain america in energy type/proposition, than an other serious one.

My brother had to get up at 6am to get two bad seats to a mid afternoon 3D showing. It's insanity. I think it hits 600. It's all over CNN and every news channel and site. It's a genuine revolution. 

But I was told the revolution would not be televised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

Its funny because I was reading an interview of BP’s cinematographer and she was purposely trying to make a movie completely different (read: better) than what Marvel has produced so far. 

I think the person in charge of the pacing of this movie sort of dropped the ball, was to me the only major drawback of the film. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, grey ghost said:

I want Bucky for that role with BP taking Iron Man's role.

There's just much more depth and history with Bucky verses Sam.

I mean, Anthony Mackie does a great job as the ultimate wingman but there's not much further to go with the character since most of his best moments were either humor or action related.

I can't find that GIF of Brad Pitt not being able to find something that AA always uses but trust me when I say that sums up all of Winter Soldier's best moments. He's a replacement level Avenger. 

• Haha 1