Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Feb 20): BP- 20.9 PR - 1.9 FSF - 1.6

Fun thing I just noticed looking at BOM: every Marvel movie released in more than 4k theaters grossed over 310M, every Marvel movie released in fewer than 4k theaters grossed under 260M

They know ahead of time, folks

• Like 12
  • ...wtf 1

And, you know, needless nitpicking aside, this chart shows that a 21.5m Tuesday is better than:

Every non-summer, non-Christmas Week Tuesday.

TFA's Tuesday?  Xmas week. TLJ's second Tuesday?  Xmas week.  Same for Rogue One's second Tue.  

Only Rogue One's first Tue number is remotely similar and even there it wasn't the same due to calendar placement.

So, yeah.  An exceedingly strong number.  Historically strong, one might say.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Fun thing I just noticed looking at BOM: every Marvel movie released in more than 4k theaters grossed over 310M, every Marvel movie released in fewer than 4k theaters grossed under 260M

They know ahead of time, folks

Nerd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

At what point could Avengers pull ahead of BP?

All I know is Avengers performed incredible on weekends with small drops every weekend.

Dropping 51% or much less its entire run.

Can BP stay ahead?

BP currently has 55 m lead, including Tuesday.

• Like 1

I just went back and edited that post with the chart to say "holiday season" instead of "holiday".

Hopefully that will clear up any potential confusion going forward from folks who read the thread in the morning. RebWGyw.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

At what point could Avengers pull ahead of BP?

All I know is Avengers performed incredible on weekends with small drops every weekend.

Dropping 51% or much less its entire run.

Can BP stay ahead?

BP currently has 55 m lead, including Tuesday.

Avengers' 5-day gross is 244m

BP's is ~263m, so it has a 19m lead?

6 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Kinda funny that in a year of such epic films, a film in February is most likely going to be the DOM champ. 

winstonwolffamoussaying.gif

I mean, there are a lot of heavy hitters coming out this summer. Plus there's always the possibility for a Jumamji-esque surprise this Xmas. Bit too early to say things are in the 'most likely' category yet.

Strong contender?  Yeah.  Beyond that?  Well, Winston Wolf's phrase is famous for a reason. ;)

Edited by Porthos

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, there are a lot of heavy hitters coming out this summer. Plus there's always the possibility for a Jumamji-esque surprise this Xmas. Bit too early to say things are in the 'most likely' category yet.

Strong contender?  Yeah.  Beyond that?  Well, Winston Wolf's phrase is famous for a reason. ;)

BTW, don't mind me on this post.  I'm a pretty conservative/cautious fella by nature.

Well outside of politics, that is. :lol:

Just don't want to count any chickens quite yet.  Even if there ARE a lot of them pecking around. :P

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

BTW, don't mind me on this post.  I'm a pretty conservative/cautious fella by nature.

Well outside of politics, that is. :lol:

Just don't want to count any chickens quite yet.  Even if there ARE a lot of them pecking around. :P

No problem. I’m a big Tarantino fan so I enjoy the reference. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Wednesday drop? What are your thoughts?

20 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

I'd say that 15.7165M would be a nice number. Good target, I think. Slightly harsher drop from Tuesday than The Avengers had, but cheaper Tuesdays have grown a lot over the past few years.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

None clue, as Black Panther has been (much) stronger than I could reasonably ever expect.

I do think that coming off a Presidents' Day Monday, Discount Tuesday combo, the drop could be somewhat more than other blockbuster Tue-Wed drops. The reasoning being that of people who were going to be seeing it this week, many took advantage of Mon and Tue do it. On the other hand, the WOM might just counteract that.

For reference, BatB had a 35% Wed drop off its first Tuesday, so in that ballpark maybe?  Dunno.  I'm really trying to stop underestimating this movie. :lol:

FWIW, The Avengers had a 23% Wed drop off its first Tue.  But its Monday and Tuesday weren't inflated, so who knows.  I think 25 to 35 percent drop might be a reasonable expectation.  But that's just me shooting from the hip as there are very few comps I can reasonably use here.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I'd say that 15.7165M would be a nice number. Good target, I think. Slightly harsher drop from Tuesday than The Avengers had, but cheaper Tuesdays have grown a lot over the past few years.

???

TA's 6.5% drop was from Monday to Tuesday.  It dropped 23% from Tuesday to Wednesday (17.7 --> 13.6).

edit

NO FAIR STEALTH MOD-EDITING.  :lol: