WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

11 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Well, Alien was a big hit straight away. True about The Thing.

ALIEN was a hit, but read the reviews from its original release. It was just seen as a horror/space movie. Took time for it to become a consensus all-timer. 

4 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Lol, this girl I know has been dating this guy for 9 months, they finally went to the movies together last night, and their movie of choice was...Peter Rabbit.

Peter Rabbit violating Brits carrots. His power.

One year, for their anniversary date night away from the kids, my sister and her husband went to see Wild Hogs. And they really liked it! But I know if they see a movie and their reaction is, "...it was okay," that it's not going to have the best WOM. They don't go to the movies much but I remember that reaction from Minions and thinking, uh oh.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Lol, this girl I know has been dating this guy for 9 months, they finally went to the movies together last night, and their movie of choice was...Peter Rabbit.

Peter Rabbit violating Brits carrots. His power.

Could be a worse situation; my sister is going to see Early Man today when she hasn't been to the movies in a few months:winomg:

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

:winomg:

Not sure if that’s serious lol. 

The budget will be at least $40-50m, 3,500 locations ain’t cheap and it’s been advertised everywhere

its OK, but with that theater count they probably were expecting this to break out as Marvel counter-programming. And it still could since its only Friday so far in terms of #s coming in. 

Worth noting: they directors apparently signed their Flash deal yet. So if this stalls? Will WB rip up that unsigned contract and look elsewhere?

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

recommend Annihilation to her

She hates horror :lol: I told her to see Black Panther instead, but for some reason she has no interest in it, which is odd considering she saw GOTG2 and SMH in theaters last year (she was going to see Thor but her friend is a dumb fuck that gets showtimes wrong)

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Could be a worse situation; my sister is going to see Early Man today when she hasn't been to the movies in a few months:winomg:

Unlike PETER RABBIT, at least EARLY MAN was decent even if sitting in the theater I was flummoxed that this was a friggin sports movie that the American marketing didn't bring up.

(Coming out of PETER RABBIT, hearing a kid say he preferred it to PADDINGTON 2 saddened me. Thanks Trump.)

• Sad 2

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I don't know.. early man looks pretty comfy.

It's basically Aardman's THE MIGHTY DUCKS, and that's a compliment. It's no Wallace & Gromit, but how many things honestly are in life? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't know.. early man looks pretty comfy.

Blanks and TOG annihilated it, and a lot of reviews on Letterboxd are pretty meh.

1 minute ago, RRA said:

Unlike PETER RABBIT, at least EARLY MAN was decent even if sitting in the theater I was flummoxed that this was a friggin sports movie that the American marketing didn't bring up.

I heard about that in a review; it pretty much killed my interest in the movie :lol: 

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

(Coming out of PETER RABBIT, hearing a kid say he preferred it to PADDINGTON 2 saddened me. Thanks Trump.)

Peter Rabbit is a farrr better movie than Early Man.

1 hour ago, MaxAggressor said:

NATM legs from here on out gets J2 to 411.13 million. But right now the duration of the rest of the DBO run is secondary to absolute numbers when pitted against NATM. J2 is rapidly (almost exponentially in the last 2 weekends) gaining on NATM's daily/weekend grosses. So if J2 can continue on the same path, it'll have a solid chance at 410 million+. But NATM's retention between 14th to 18th weekend was amazing and it helped immensely with the late legs. J2 will need to rack up massive bumps over NATM from now to the end of the 13th week because it's retention that far into's it's run is still up in the air. But it would be unwise to bet against Jumanji at this point so 410 million + is looking very likely.

After 10th weekend Wonder Woman will have 12.5 mln lead over Jumanji, with summer weekdays, expansion, labor day, I would be very suprised if Jumanji could reach 410/411 million especially with dvd/blu-ray release on 20th March.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Peter Rabbit is a farrr better movie than Early Man.

I politely disagree. James Corden was already an annoying person, and they built a whole movie around his annoying persona. 

Thank god for MoviePass. 

42 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The budget will be at least $40-50m, 3,500 locations ain’t cheap and it’s been advertised everywhere

In the digital distribution business model, does adding locations cost much more (you have to commit to an ads budget to achieve to get that many theater I imagine but that is already included in the advertised everywhere part)

It is on the low/moderate side for a wide release P&A budget it seem:

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/black-panther-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202705182/

$5.6M – Game Night

Impressions: 284,742,594

National Airings: 362

Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $16.66M

Early men got a bigger tv push, the week before the release week at least for an example:

$7.5M – Early Man

Impressions: 301,571,843

National Airings: 639

Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $15.84M

Being a Georgia shoot cannot say about the budget, you are probably right about a 35 to 50m net budget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, George Parr said:

The Avengers had a holiday on its fourth weekend though, and benefitted from summer weekdays during the later stages of its run, Black Panther isn't really getting either of those, which might mean that it might lose a bit on TA later on.

BP is also running slightly behind JW at this point, which also had the advantage of summer weekdays, so even if the weekends would be slightly better, weekdays could make up for it. At this point I think it is way too early to say where this is really heading. Thus I wouldn't rank the chances of BP beating JW or Titanic as very likely but rather as possible.

Spring break is coming up which will help tremendously BP's legs. Pretty similar affect to MD weekend, actually.

44 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Way too early for this kind of call. TLJ was about $60m ahead of Avengers after 4 weekends due to holiday boost and wasn't able to blow past Avengers total in the end. Panther is about 78% higher than Deadpool's Friday. If that continues, it will come up well short of Jurassic World and Titanic. Potentially less than Avengers. Needs to earn more than double the amount Deadpool earned the rest of the way to reach $660m. 

While true, TLJ had mediocre WOM which showed in the legs department. BP on the other hand has tremendous WOM plus weak comp until IW and spring break. The hold this weekend is freaking insane (-48%).   Maybe I'm jumping the gun but I don't see it just falling off.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't think I'd take a girl to the movies until the fourth or fifth date. That's gotta be lame as hell for earlier dates when you're trying to know each other.

yeah I tend to wait until the 6-7th date to bring out the body paint

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Disbelief 1