WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

9 minutes ago, RRA said:

But...Cameron actually has made hit movies that critics generally liked? He's not a glorified cult filmmaker like Snyder, whom WB mistakenly thought was their next populist tycoon filmmaker like Nolan

I like Cameron but he's becoming the go to guy for people who root against Disney.

Some people root against Disney/Marvel for their corporate approach and others for their "liberal agenda" 

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Disney's BP/SW succeed critically and financially over all things Cameron/Snyder/Prequels.

Am I having an acid flashback? I can only assume so, because wow this post is almost fractal in its level of stupidity. 

16 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I guess my demographic really is out of touch if this is the prevailing wisdom. The people I know who were mostly fans as a result of the OT all the way back in the 70s far prefer the PT to the ST, and unless IX really hits out the park I don't see much changing. 

What do I know of pop culture today though, I admit I'm ignorant on that front. 

OT fans are divided over TLJ but preferring the prequels overall to the sequel trilogy?

That's a stretch.

Cameron and Nolan fanboys I can bear. Snyder ones make little sense to me.

And I don't think Rian Johnson falls under the whole "let's be safe" approach that's a common criticism of how Disney handles Marvel or Star Wars. He was given free reign and some loved it others hated it. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Cameron and Nolan fanboys I can bear. Snyder ones make little sense to me.

And I don't think Rian Johnson falls under the whole "let's be safe" approach that's a common criticism of how Disney handles Marvel or Star Wars. He was given free reign and some loved it others hated it. 

Stupid question but... what exactly does a 'fanboy' mean? Is stating brute fact being a fanboy? I don't understand the term. 

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Am I having an acid flashback? I can only assume so, because wow this post is almost fractal in its level of stupidity. 

How am I wrong?

I mean Cameron's made some great movies but that was over two decades ago.

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Stupid question but... what exactly does a 'fanboy' mean? Is stating brute fact being a fanboy? I don't understand the term. 

Basically anyone obsessive about something from pop culture including movie franchises and directors.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Disney's BP/SW succeed critically and financially over all things Cameron/Snyder/Prequels.

All you have to clutch onto are Avatar's nonsensical OS numbers.

What are you talking about? Camerons last two movies WW adjusted made around half of the entire MCU franchise combined and took away 14 oscars. Its not even a conpetition. Cameron movies are light years ahead of anything in terms of success, box office in general will always be a battle for 3rd place

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

Basically anyone obsessive about something from pop culture including movie franchises and directors.

I was under the impression neither Avatar nor JC had any impact in and of themselves on pop culture? Does that immunize them to 'fanboyism'? 

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

It's patently false that JC has been surpassed, financially or critically, (except under very narrow conditions). 

If we're talking the 21st century then it's a valid argument.

If we're talking the 20th century then that would include Disney's entire library/catalogue. Even Cameron doesn't fully eclipse that.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

If we're talking the 21st century then it's a valid argument.

If we're talking the 20th century then that would include Disney's entire library/catalogue. Even Cameron doesn't fully eclipse that.

I thought we were discussing individual sws films, or BP, no one in their right mind would ever question Disney's financial/critical success as an entity. 

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

So you disagree with @grey ghost's definition? 

So it's to obsess over anything? Can one be a fanboy of fanboyism itself? 

Hmm that's an interesting question. Maybe I mean so many people are obsessed with different "flame wars" between various franchises. Perhaps more people than are willing to admit are completely obsessed with fan culture and the wanting to pick "sides". 

My definition was simply more broad of course James Cameron will be always ingrained in pop culture. His numbers and critical acclaim back that up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Hmm that's an interesting question. Maybe I mean so many people are obsessed with different "flame wars" between various franchises. Perhaps more people than are willing to admit are completely obsessed with fan culture and the wanting to pick "sides". 

My definition was simply more broad of course James Cameron will be always ingrained in pop culture. His numbers and critical acclaim back that up. 

I guess my question related to the fact that I suppose I'd call myself a fanboy of 'success' or 'the best', and I guess that studying James Cameron is a direct result of that. Trying to categorize oneself is difficult! Esp when the category seems to so ill defined. 

To begin with I wasn't certain that stating fact was fanboy action though, am I an 'Earth Fanboy' if I remind people that it has the most people of any planet in the universe? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jessie said:

What are you talking about? Camerons last two movies WW adjusted made around half of the entire MCU franchise combined and took away 14 oscars. Its not even a conpetition. Cameron movies are light years ahead of anything in terms of success, box office in general will always be a battle for 3rd place

Titanic and Avatar = 4.8 billion

Vs

MCU and Disney's SW = 25 billion by 2020

Lmao

And the Oscars are a joke unless you're a huge Crash fan.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I thought we were discussing individual sws films, or BP, no one in their right mind would ever question Disney's financial/critical success as an entity. 

Well I concede Cameron's 20th century stuff eclipses BP/Disney SW critically but I stand by the claim that critically and financially

BP/Disney's SW >>>> Avatar/Snyder/Prequels

Outside of Avatar's ridiculous OS numbers.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Titanic and Avatar = 4.8 billion

Vs

MCU and Disney's SW = 25 billion by 2020

Lmao

And the Oscars are a joke unless you're a huge Crash fan.

I said adjusted. Are we going to pretend titanic wouldnt adjust to well over 4b today with expanding markets, china and 3d? I also said MCU, not star wars too

Its perfectly fine to be a fan of both the McU and Camerons word but to deny Camerons success shows a serious lack of knowledge

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1