WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Sherlock Gnomes is Paramount, a sequel to a film from 7 years ago that no one gives a shit about, and looks like garbage.  It's going to be a massive bomb

The fact I didn't knew it was a sequel prove your point.

That said those movie can be garbage looking minions/Emoji/Boss baby/Angry Bird and still work well enough be in best of the year conversation and flop miserably, begore learning it was a sequel would not have been surprised if it would  have done 116m, not be surprised if it would have done 25-45m.

Tickets sold today at my theater:

Black Panther: 306 (231 2D/75 3D)

Game Night: 65

Annihilation: 63

15:17 to Paris: 48

Peter Rabbit: 32

Fifty Shades: 25 (late afternoon show was empty)

Jumanji: 21 (6 2D/15 3D)

Every Day: 6 (the last two shows were empty lmao)

Early Man: 2 (3/4 shows were empty LMAO)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It was never a joke, it was an important bench mark for The Last Jedi which it failed to reach. I'm happy I'm unintentionally funny though so thank you.

Any reasonable estimates for Monday? I'm thinking less than $10m looking at Deadpools 72% drop from this sun to mon.

giphy.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 7

I just realized three Billboard has come ahead of SOW in the weekend chart, suggest that audience like it more than sow despite lower theaer count and has already on digital plattform. 

Maybe it is three Billboard to.win at thr final prize of Oscar now

28 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:
3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It was never a joke, it was an important bench mark for The Last Jedi which it failed to reach. I'm happy I'm unintentionally funny though so thank you.

Any reasonable estimates for Monday? I'm thinking less than $10m looking at Deadpools 72% drop from this sun to mon.

giphy.gif

IronJimbo now

DVfKl2L.jpg

Edited by vc2002

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I just realized three Billboard has come ahead of SOW in the weekend chart, suggest that audience like it more than sow despite lower theaer count and has already on digital plattform. 

For the subject matter it really has had great legs, particularly the last month. 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

reminds me of when Brooklyn pulled ahead of Spotlight every weekend in the rankings through January and February 2016

• Like 1

Can we all also finally agree that after the last 24 months or so and seeing every single monthly record smashed that it no longer really matters where you open a tentpole movie?  

Sure, it can help a little here and there, but ultimately you can release a movie at any time of the year and put up a massive opening and massive gross.  The old rules of cinema and the box office don't exist anymore.  

• Like 24

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Can we all also finally agree that after the last 24 months or so and seeing every single monthly record smashed that it no longer really matters where you open a tentpole movie?  

Sure, it can help a little here and there, but ultimately you can release a movie at any time of the year and put up a massive opening and massive gross.  The old rules of cinema and the box office don't exist anymore.  

dOtxFBR.jpg

• Like 1

Let's look at the BOM comps...

TFA - Bad comp, obviously. TFA is in another stratosphere.

The Avengers - BP is way ahead and with it's momentum there's no way TA is catching up.

TLJ - Not the best comp because it will over perform like crazy this week (due to Christmas break) then fall off a cliff week later. BP is pretty steady by comparison.

JW - Despite JW having stronger weekdays and BP having stronger weekends, this is by far the best comp. These two might be at a dead heat for weeks. And if BP pulls ahead in the next three weeks JW and Titanic are done. BP will pass them both. It's that simple.

At that point 700 m will be the next benchmark. Not an easy target but definitely in the realm of possibility.

Remember when Deadpool numbers were thought as impressive for BP? This thing could be the biggest superhero movie ADJUSTED (~703 m).

Unreal. :bourne:

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

600 million is a done deal.

650 million is more likely than not. (All it needs is 659.4M to get bronze DOM.)

700 million is possible but not terribly likely.

Second weekend is pretty encouraging, I think the gap between JW and BP will only widen overtime.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1