WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

On second thought, don't put him on ignore. This bit is too good.

He couldn't put me on ignore even if he knew it was for the best for his mental health, "likes" are his heroin and insulting Jimbo is an easy way of getting his fix.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

He couldn't put me on ignore even if he knew it was for the best for his mental health, "likes" are his heroin and insulting Jimbo is an easy way of getting his fix.

Among other things,  he's giving us #'s we can't get on other sites.  I can find James Cameron stans on other boards. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

My heroin is films struggling to make over 0.5A, and I've got myself a lifetime supply at this point. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Among other things,  he's giving us #'s we can't get on other sites.  I can find James Cameron stans on other boards. 

Oh, so you're a fair-weather friend. Ouch. You're going to have to hope he doesn't realise this and hold his #'s hostage again.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

I can find James Cameron stans on other boards. 

The only other place I've managed to find like minded folk on the topic of Jim Cameron is 4chan's television and film board, and they seem to worship him there as some kind of Emperor. What boards are you thinking of? 

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Can we all also finally agree that after the last 24 months or so and seeing every single monthly record smashed that it no longer really matters where you open a tentpole movie?  

Sure, it can help a little here and there, but ultimately you can release a movie at any time of the year and put up a massive opening and massive gross.  The old rules of cinema and the box office don't exist anymore.  

That we can agree on. Have been saying this for years...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The only other place I've managed to find like minded folk on the topic of Jim Cameron is 4chan's television and film board, and they seem to worship him there as some kind of Emperor. What boards are you thinking of? 

Perhaps you did not visit that board when Avatar came out. They only support him now because they do not want to support whatever is popular now.

Don't take these boards so seriously, they're fun, but that's it.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Let's look at the BOM comps...

TFA - Bad comp, obviously. TFA is in another stratosphere.

The Avengers - BP is way ahead and with it's momentum there's no way TA is catching up.

TLJ - Not the best comp because it will over perform like crazy this week (due to Christmas break) then fall off a cliff week later. BP is pretty steady by comparison.

JW - Despite JW having stronger weekdays and BP having stronger weekends, this is by far the best comp. These two might be at a dead heat for weeks. And if BP pulls ahead in the next three weeks JW and Titanic are done. BP will pass them both. It's that simple.

At that point 700 m will be the next benchmark. Not an easy target but definitely in the realm of possibility.

Remember when Deadpool numbers were thought as impressive for BP? This thing could be the biggest superhero movie ADJUSTED (~703 m).

Unreal. :bourne:

I agree on the comparisons. 

TFA pulled 100M ahead in the first week and will pull another 110M ahead this week. After that I think it will get more interesting as TFA grossed another 286M after that and BP needs for 700M another 257M (roughly, if BP is at 443M after this week (404M after the weekend + 9 + 13 + 9 + 8). That Difference isn't that big (BP would need to gross 90% of TFA).

I think 700M is not that likely, but not impossible at all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Perhaps you did not visit that board when Avatar came out. They only support him now because they do not want to support whatever is popular now.

Don't take these boards so seriously, they're fun, but that's it.

Sadly, no, only even found out 4chan existed last year (although again I'm in that rare group of people over the age of 40 who browse it). Their contrarian nature is quite obvious, but I do find that some of them are sincere in their 'worship' of JC/Avatar. 

11 minutes ago, RRA said:

So far underestimating BP seems to be a consistent losing strategy. 700 wouldn't shock me at this point. 

It's the old Titanic/Avatar strategy, the more people doubt it, the better it does! Very happy to see it doing such great numbers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Sadly, no, only even found out 4chan existed last year (although again I'm in that rare group of people over the age of 40 who browse it). Their contrarian nature is quite obvious, but I do find that some of them are sincere in their 'worship' of JC/Avatar. 

If you find buying into your own delusions sincere, then fine. What I am saying is that 99% of opinions there are just snowballed from persistent shitposting. That includes the whole alt-right movement on pol, the whole Snyder worship on /tv/ and the absurd belief that the prequels are better than the new trilogy. Like I said, it's just for fun.

4 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

and the absurd belief that the prequels are better than the new trilogy. Like I said, it's just for fun.

They are though... not sure about the alt right stuff but I prefer MoS/BvS to any marvel film and the prequel trilogy is better. I'm not saying that just for fun either.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

If you find buying into your own delusions sincere, then fine. What I am saying is that 99% of opinions there are just snowballed from persistent shitposting. That includes the whole alt-right movement on pol, the whole Snyder worship on /tv/ and the absurd belief that the prequels are better than the new trilogy. Like I said, it's just for fun.

I think it's Mother Night, or some other book by Vonnegut, but "we are what we pretend to be", is an adage that I adhere to. If they are being insincere in espousing certain beliefs then I find it difficult (maybe impossible) to know whether or not it is so, without being able to read minds of course.