WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Titanic and Avatar = 4.8 billion

Vs

MCU and Disney's SW = 25 billion by 2020

Lmao

And the Oscars are a joke unless you're a huge Crash fan.

No wonder you're the winter game champ, what was the category? Mental gymnastics? 

17 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I guess my question related to the fact that I suppose I'd call myself a fanboy of 'success' or 'the best', and I guess that studying James Cameron is a direct result of that. Trying to categorize oneself is difficult! Esp when the category seems to so ill defined. 

To begin with I wasn't certain that stating fact was fanboy action though, am I an 'Earth Fanboy' if I remind people that it has the most people of any planet in the universe? 

The Earth is not mostly relevant due to pop culture.

If someone simply stated This Is Us has the highest tv ratings, they're not a fanboy but if they are obsessive about the show and say it's the best ever (subjective) also then, yes, they're a fanboy.

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

No wonder you're the winter game champ, what was the category? Mental gymnastics? 

No wonder you're a "scholar".

What's the discipline?

Ad Hominems over facts?

And win the Summer or Winter Game once, if it's so easy. 

Its amazing how ots been 20 years and the only movie to have topped Titanics overseas gross is camerons own. Its one thing being successful in a few key markets but getting the entire planet to watch your film is something else entirely

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Also Jessie was doing gymnastics of his own.

Ignoring that I mentioned SW and only counting half the MCU.

And the Oscars are a joke. 

Well yeah no franchise ever will top star wars and the MCU combined, especially two movies, thats just stating the obvious 

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No wonder you're a "scholar".

What's the discipline?

Ad Hominems over facts?

And win the Summer or Winter Game once, if it's so easy. 

You're the one throwing out the false dichotomies if we're going to play the fallacy game. The brute fact is that James Cameron is the best at making the highest grossing films of all time. 

What the prize for winning the Summer/Winter game? 

10 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I said adjusted. Are we going to pretend titanic wouldnt adjust to well over 4b today with expanding markets, china and 3d? I also said MCU, not star wars too

Its perfectly fine to be a fan of both the McU and Camerons word but to deny Camerons success shows a serious lack of knowledge

Oh so now we're adjusting WW numbers.

Are you a box office nerd or what?

And why are you ignoring SW?

I clearly mentioned it in the post you mocked.

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I stand by the claim that critically and financially

BP/Disney's SW >>>> Avatar/Snyder/Prequels

Outside of Avatar's ridiculous OS numbers.

If we're going to compare financial success, why would the OS numbers be excluded from the argument? The total gross worldwide is obviously the most important figure here. 

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Titanic and Avatar = 4.8 billion

Vs

MCU and Disney's SW = 25 billion by 2020

Lmao

And the Oscars are a joke unless you're a huge Crash fan.

First of all seems a little unreasonable to use Titanic's gross at face value given that it was 20 years ago. Okay so its 2.2B unadjusted. The US figure is 1.2B adjusted, if that's 30% of the gross then the total would be 4B. And that's before china etc.

Also you're comparing 2 movies against a series that's 18 films in so far, and "by 2020" I'm assuming you are adding two SW films + 8 MCU films, in total that's 31 movies that you say will gross 25 billion. Versus two movies that make 5 billion. I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Are you trying to tell us that Disney is making more films than James Cameron makes? Not really new information.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

the prequel trilogy is definitely better than the new star wars movies. there's more originality in a single shot of Phantom Menace than there is in the whole of Force Awakens.

That is not fair, the average shampoo commercial is more original than TFA.

But I like TLJ more than the prequels. :jeb!:

1 minute ago, Jessie said:

Well yeah no franchise ever will top star wars and the MCU combined, especially two movies, thats just stating the obvious 

Just wait until Avatar 5 has finished its run... if my predictions are true, first trillion dollar franchise.

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

You're the one throwing out the false dichotomies if we're going to play the fallacy game. The brute fact is that James Cameron is the best at making the highest grossing films of all time. 

What the prize for winning the Summer/Winter game? 

Yes Avatar and Titanic are king of OS gross.

How long can you play that same card?

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

If we're going to compare financial success, why would the OS numbers be excluded from the argument? The total gross worldwide is obviously the most important figure here. 

Well avatar and titanic are bigger than any star wars movies adjusted too so whats your point here?

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

As long as it's true, which given current conditions is until the heat death of the universe. 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I'm acknowledging Avatar had a high OS gross but outside of that 

BP/Disney's SW are critically and financially superior to Avatar/Snyder/Prequels.

It's like saying Spielberg beats Cameron in areas A, B, and C but not D.

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

well then I eagerly await the day when I can look at all time adjusted domestic and see that a Marvel movie outgrosses either AVATAR (893M) or TITANIC (1244M). I'm happy to agree that Star Wars is the biggest franchise domestic - it has 5 movies over 800M domestic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

As long as it's true, which given current conditions is until the heat death of the universe. 

But it's just one aspect of the critical and financial success argument.

Edited by grey ghost