WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

the prequel trilogy is definitely better than the new star wars movies. there's more originality in a single shot of Phantom Menace than there is in the whole of Force Awakens.

Edited by Treeing Me Apart
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Treeing Me Apart said:

the prequel trilogy is definitely better than the new star wars movies. there's more originality in a single shot of Phantom Menace than there is in the whole of Force Awakens.

Well said.

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Can we all also finally agree that after the last 24 months or so and seeing every single monthly record smashed that it no longer really matters where you open a tentpole movie?  

Sure, it can help a little here and there, but ultimately you can release a movie at any time of the year and put up a massive opening and massive gross.  The old rules of cinema and the box office don't exist anymore.  

And yet if you’ve seen August this year and the last it’s like studios have learned absolutely nothing.

Just now, cookie said:

And yet if you’ve seen August this year and the last it’s like studios have learned absolutely nothing.

I really wonder why Disney can't move SOLO to that date. At this point maybe its just out of ego? 

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Wait, there are people who think the ST is better than the PT? Seriously? 

As if that‘s a controversial/unpopular opinion. After 2 movies the ST is miles ahead of the prequels, it isn‘t even close.

• Like 2

according to google ratings:

Phantom Menace - 80%

Attack of the Clones - 81%

Revenge of the Sith - 93%

compared to:

Force Awakens - 84%

The Last Jedi - 75%

so on average, 79.5% of people like the sequels, and 84.7% of people like the prequels. Prequels win. :sparta:

Edited by Treeing Me Apart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Giesi said:

As if that‘s a controversial/unpopular opinion. After 2 movies the ST is miles ahead of the prequels, it isn‘t even close.

I guess my demographic really is out of touch if this is the prevailing wisdom. The people I know who were mostly fans as a result of the OT all the way back in the 70s far prefer the PT to the ST, and unless IX really hits out the park I don't see much changing. 

What do I know of pop culture today though, I admit I'm ignorant on that front. 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Rooting against BP and Disney's SW while rooting for Zack Snyder or James Cameron has become quite the rorschach test. :jeb!:

But...Cameron actually has made hit movies that critics generally liked? He's not a glorified cult filmmaker like Snyder, whom WB mistakenly thought was their next populist tycoon filmmaker like Nolan

4 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Phantom Menace - 80%

compared to:

Force Awakens - 84%

The Last Jedi - 75%

so on average, 79.5% of people like the sequels, and 84.7% of people like the prequels. Prequels win. :sparta:

Box office and critical consensus >>>> haters spamming the lowest possible score

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Phantom Menace - 80%

compared to:

Force Awakens - 84%

The Last Jedi - 75%

One thing in the PT's favor right now is nostalgia from the generation of kids who grew up with their original release. Misguided nostalgia, but regardless its nostalgia. 

12 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

The stories were better too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Rooting against BP and Disney's SW while rooting for Zack Snyder or James Cameron has become quite the rorschach test. :jeb!:

I hope I'm not included in this libelous generalization, I loved BP, best MCU film since IM to my mind. The fact you have to fall back on comparing one man to an entire franchise though shows just how desperate certain positions have become. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

But...Cameron actually has made hit movies that critics generally liked? He's not a glorified cult filmmaker like Snyder, whom WB mistakenly thought was their next populist tycoon filmmaker like Nolan

More than both combined - in one image! 

ip_242340.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Box office and critical consensus >>>> haters spamming the lowest possible score

daily reminder that Phantom Menace adjusts to 800M, which is about 20 million more tickets than last jedi

• Thanks 1