The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time: 2018 Edition - DEADLINE IS TODAY! SEND A LIST!

24 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

None of these are making the list. :sparta:

and that’s why these all-time lists are so boring. there’s no room for surprise whatsoever. it’s just the same movies ranked in different order.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Just now, Goffe said:

and that’s why these all-time lists are so boring. there’s no room for surprise whatsoever.

Hmm due to the low amount of entries, if a film gets 2-3 high placements it could break the top 100

Here's one or two sentences about my next twenty:

21. Star Wars:  The second best movie of the 70's and one that changed the face of everything. It's not just from an entertainment point of view, but this changed everything about Hollywood

22. The Dark Knight:  Once you look past Heath's iconic performance, what you are left with is the best film of 2008.  The themes and thoughts and dialogue ask plenty of difficult questions and makes you question the world we live in.  It did for me and that's what elevates this from a simple comic book film to one of the best films ever made.

23. Rocky:  A film that made me want to be a writer, and actor and a character who inspires me to this day.  Rocky is simply perfect.

24. Terminator:  A visionary film from one of the finest directors to ever make movies.  A film that used innovation and passion to tell a story.

25. Predator:  At one time, this was my favourite film of all time.  Expertly directed and astutely written and blessed with a perfect cast, this is as good as they come.  

26. Wolf of Wall Street:  Martin Scorsese's best film and Leo's best performance.  This film is mesmerizing from start to finish.

27. Usual Suspects:  The ultimate twist, the ultimate cast and one of the best scripts ever written.  This little film surprised everyone.

28. Swingers:  The start of Jonn favreau and Vince Vaughn's career. Favreau wrote a script we could all relate to.  And Doug Liman pays homage to Goodfellas.  Plus they make Gretzky bleed.  

29. The Ring:  Unquestionably one of the scariest films ever made.  I had a friend who almost left the theatre out of fright when Samara walked out of the TV.  Verbinski has never been better.

30. Tombstone:  Perhaps the greatest cast ever assembled and Val Kilmer gives one of the top five best supporting performances ever put on film imo.  This is the film that got me interested in the Western.

31. Mississippi Burning:  Overshadowed by Rainman in every way in 1988, and that's a shame because this is a better film in every way.  Hackman oozes charisma and a young Michael Rooker scared the hell out of me.

32. The Pianist:  The best Holocaust film ever made imo.  Adrien Brody was simply electric.

33. Schindler's List:  The toughest film I've ever had to watch.  Spielberg is a God and this, while not his best film, is still perfect in every way.

34. Breakfast Club:  I'm not sure if the youth of today will relate to this the way my generation did in the 80's.  This is one of the best and most astute scripts ever written imo and it's blessed with a terrific cast.

35. Mothman Prophecies:  Mark Pellington really only did this one and Arlington Road.  But two mind blowing films to have on your resume.  This one is very personal to me, as it spoke to me in ways that I'm not even sure Pellington knew he was trying to convey.

36. Goodfellas:  The finest mobster movie ever made.  I always have Goodfellas and Dances with Wolves going back and forth for best film of 1990.  Today, I have Goodfellas up there.  

37. Ghostbusters:  Ivan's best film and a who's who of comedy in the 80's makes this one of the most unique films you'll ever see.

38. Rounders:  Malkovich.  Poker.  Norton.  Damon.  Incredible.

39. Glengarry Glen Ross:  If you have never seen this, at least find Baldwin's five minutes on you-tube, you will thank me later.

40. Fargo:  The Coen's best film.  And Buscemi sure is funny looking.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Goffe said:

and that’s why these all-time lists are so boring. there’s no room for surprise whatsoever. it’s just the same movies ranked in different order.

These lists might be boring to you and that's fair, but it's not like these films are easy to find nor are they films that really show up on a lot of other best lists.  You have to look at the demographics here.  We only see what is available to us.  

• Like 1

Hell, I have films on my list that I know have no chance of ever making the top 100.

Angel Heart is an all time favourite.

Extreme Prejudice, not many have even heard of

Mississippi Burning is the best film of 1988

Mothman Prophecies just gets me a lot of confused looks

Friday the 13th the Final Chapter  :redcapes:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Hell, I have films on my list that I know have no chance of ever making the top 100.

I have This Boys Life on my list. And I know it has no shot of making the list, since despite starring Robert DeNiro and Leonardo DiCaprio, I doubt most people here have ever even heard of it, let alone seen it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goffe said:

I understand that, Baumer. I’m not holding the multitude of reasons why that happens against people here, I’m just telling how I feel.

I'm glad you are expressing how you feel.  You have definitely seen more older films and foreign films than most here.  I can only imagine how these lists much piss you off at times.  

3 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

I have This Boys Life on my list. And I know it has no shot of making the list, since despite starring Robert DeNiro and Leonardo DiCaprio, I doubt most people here have ever even heard of it, let alone seen it.

Another good one.  Not in my top 100 but certainly a great film.  

• Like 1

I guess I just don't think a lot of movies pre 1970 are really worthy to make these lists.  There are good films pre 1970 and so absolutely iconic ones, but for the MOST part, I don't relate to the 40 or 50 years before 1970.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I guess I just don't think a lot of movies pre 1970 are really worthy to make these lists.  There are good films pre 1970 and so absolutely iconic ones, but for the MOST part, I don't relate to the 4 or 50 years before 1970.

The exception to that I would say is Historical films, watched some Samurai films and they hold up well.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

My spouse said my #2 film has no shot at the list (he said I'm the only one in the world who would put that movie #2, to which I said "so, it totally deserves it":)...I almost now take that as a challenge to convince you all to watch Clue and enjoy the awesomeness:)...

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

My spouse said my #2 film has no shot at the list (he said I'm the only one in the world who would put that movie #2, to which I said "so, it totally deserves it":)...I almost now take that as a challenge to convince you all to watch Clue and enjoy the awesomeness:)...

I liked Clue when i saw it 1985.  I'll try to watch it again.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

I liked Clue when i saw it 1985.  I'll try to watch it again.

As I got older and realized what the scriptwriters were ordered to "fit in" the movie (like the game board characters with the same names, the weapons, the rooms, the secret passages, the singular mansion site, etc), it becomes an even more genius movie to me.  I mean, creating a 1954 McCarthy-era blackmail movie in New England for a Clue board game - who comes up with that from the board game elements:)?  Geniuses, that's who:)...

• Like 1