The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time: 2018 Edition - DEADLINE IS TODAY! SEND A LIST!

6 minutes ago, commendable said:

wtf i just watched avatar and it is no where near as good as titanic. I think titanic is the only good film in the top 10 highest grossers to be honest.

Did you feel in awe when they rode the banshee's for the first time?

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

the flying creatures which they Na'Vi ride, were you in awe when Jake rode one down the floating mountains for the first time.

No i don't think aang is a navi which you described. Are you sure we are watching the same thing

3 minutes ago, commendable said:

No i don't think aang is a navi which you described. Are you sure we are watching the same thing

very funny commendable.. I know aang is the wind shaper from the avatar cartoon

1 hour ago, UNDERDOG said:

Since I'm 18 and only recently became infatuated with cinema, (past 4 years I suppose), my list is going to feature a lot of recent films. No, it is not the honeymoon effect. 

most of the forum is under the age of 17 so I wouldn't worry too much, everyones list will be modern-heavy. We haven't all been alive as long as @HerediTele has. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

Since I'm 18 and only recently became infatuated with cinema, (past 4 years I suppose), my list is going to feature a lot of recent films. No, it is not the honeymoon effect. 

And that's completely fine.  You can only go with what you know and have seen.  Perhaps you can expand your film repertoire a bit.  Not sure what you have or haven't seen, but if you haven't seen classics like Jaws, the Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Raging Bull, Rocky and many other 70's and 80's films, maybe you could check them out sometime.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

it will come... don't feel pressured

9 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

most of the forum is under the age of 17 so I wouldn't worry too much, everyones list will be modern-heavy. We haven't all been alive as long as @HerediTele has. 

wait what

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

And that's completely fine.  You can only go with what you know and have seen.  Perhaps you can expand your film repertoire a bit.  Not sure what you have or haven't seen, but if you haven't seen classics like Jaws, the Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Raging Bull, Rocky and many other 70's and 80's films, maybe you could check them out sometime.

Fortunately, I haven seen The Godfather, Jews, Raiders, and Rocky. Godfather ended up entrancing me a lot more than I expected. Still have to see Part 2.

• Like 2

I don't think most of the forum is under 17.  I don't know the actual numbers but I would say the majority of the members here are over the age of 20.

3 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

Fortunately, I haven seen The Godfather, Jews, Raiders, and Rocky. Godfather ended up entrancing me a lot more than I expected. Still have to see Part 2.

Jews?  Is that a story about who runs Hollywood?  :qotd:

• Haha 3

I'd suggest teens use the posted lists to try to watch the top 3-10 of the movies listed (especially the repeated ones) before submitting...there's a world of movies you may not have seen, and you may love upon seeing, since most of us are posting ones we still value now, not just when we saw them as ancient Tele folks once did:)...

So, now why you should watch my top 5 (and why they became my extra pointed ones:)...

1. Titanic - Literally the best movie ever made.  Every moment in that movie mattered...every moment delivered.  The real effects were unbelievable.  The emotions were all earned, not cynically pulled from you.  It is so well-acted from the top to the bottom of the cast.  The arc of Rose from 1st minute to last between both actresses - literally no way better it ends (and the jewel moment with the older Rose and the staircase scene - just wow).  The ultimate love story meets the ultimate disaster story meets the ultimate story of humanity (and what you do when you know it's your last minutes - the musicians, the poor families with kids).  And you can watch it today and think it just got filmed...it's still gorgeous, still feels exactly right.  The movie which made me cry the most I ever have after a movie.  If you only have one movie to watch before you die, watch this one.  The perfect example of what the art medium of movies can deliver.  

2. Clue - For a board gamer who loved this game, this is the best board game movie ever made.  Such a nice immersive set up which just becomes an absolutely insane and absurd romp through the end (it's delivered almost like all those pop songs on the radio, where you start with a lower key delivery and then just belt it out at the end).  Again, the actors absolutely make this movie.  It is a Tim Curry tour de force...I've never seen him funnier and just selling it.  Madeline Kahn pulls off her own epic performance with some of the best ad-libbing and scripted delivery in a movie (I have used the ending quote in this scene so many times and it's not even in her top 10 moments in the film:).  Plus, the triple ending - just like the multiple guesses in the game (why they didn't add these to the theatrical release was the dumbest decision ever made by an executive - they truly didn't get what they had:).  Genius choice for home viewers that just upped the ending build insanity.  

3. The Lion King - Best opening 4 minutes of an animated movie ever, right up the title screen slamming in.  Such a gorgeous song, such beautiful timeless animation, set the tone of the whole movie in an instant.  The build is just genius.  No words are needed to tell a complete set-up story.  It set up a classic Disney animated movie with enormous heart, a beautiful story, perfect voice-casting, gorgeous animation, varied and dead-on music, etc.  It is the pinnacle of perfect Disney animated classic.

4. The Sixth Sense - Best surprise ending ever in a movie...and yet the most earned one, too.  It was fair, and it was amazingly executed.  Again, a movie which starts with a nice slow build, seeming to be "just another shock" movie and then reaches for another gear midway through...and then another one at the end.  The acting was also 1st rate, not easy to be said when you're dealing with a child/adult actor combo.  

5. Toy Story 3 - Best ending to an animated movie and absolutely tone perfect for the trilogy.  I cried so much at the ending...an ending to childhood and a passing of the torch.  It is the best series of animated films ever made.  The entire series is genius from start to finish, but #3 gets my spot highest on the list (even with its slight mid-film lull) b/c of the earned emotional gut punch it can deliver from all the history of the films.  If you are to watch this, watch all 3 in order so you get the total effect.    

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

Don’t feel bad. I was like that when I was 18. 

• Like 2