baumer

A Wrinkle in Time (2018)

Grade it  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Everyone (except,oddly, Reese) is acting their hearts out, the kids are especially good, Storm is great, but....I don't know what any of this means?

I never read the book, so often I was like....what? What are the rules here?

The imagery is gorgeous and as a sad black girl, it's like a letter to us, but I definitely understand why most people won't get that from it and find it very odd and confusing, because outside of that, I did too!

Edited by Morieris

This was definitely a very mixed bag. I never read the book, but I can tell something got lost in the translation as the whole thing never really comes together and takes way too long to really get going. Great visuals, for sure, but too many problems (like an intrusive soundtrack that shows up at random points and only serves as a distraction) weigh it down. It also doesn't help that the child actors are mostly not up to the task: Storm Reid is a likeable and engaging presence, but Levi Miller (the only good part of the catastrophe that was Pan) is undone by his inability to sustain an American accent and young actor Deric McCabe...yeesh. And if you're considering seeing this for this esteemed adult cast (Oprah, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Chris Pine, etc.), don't. They're mostly underutilized. It's not a bad movie (it's not boring, I'll give it that), but Ava DuVernay falls quite a bit short of delivering a satisfying product. C+

I mean, overall this film suceeds I think for it’s target audience and that’s the best thing going for it (hopefully). It’s a pretty well made movie for young kids that does deliver a good message. There are some scenes that I actually had fun watching as the graphics were good. I think some parts dragged a bit, like in the cave scene that part somewhat felt too long for me, kind of was forgettable. The beginning of the film I think was a bit weird seeing the three witches (or whatever they’re called) on earth, it just looked......odd (Well, I guess maybe that was the point). 

It was okay for me. I didn’t hate it but I didn’t love it. I’m sure I’d see it again if someone asked but I wouldn’t jump off my seat to see it. I’d give it a 6.8/10, B- rating overall.

Well,

I pretty much loved that.

I can get why it's not for everyone. Even if there's nothing I would call a weakness, DuVernay does have an idiosyncratic directing style that is not something seen normally in a big budget production. In some ways, it reminded me of Aronofsky's Noah in how off kilter it was. But it pretty much pushed all of my buttons in just the right way: It's got some really high concept ideas that it explores pretty fully, but doesn't over-explain. It's got a very assured way of conveying the story. It's got some amazing visual sequences. And it's got Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Chris Pine, who I basically love in everything.

I've read the novel, but it wasn't one I invested in strongly as a kid. I think it was only in the past year or two that I finally sat down and read it through. I find it interesting that the movie did update a few things, setting and character-wise, but basically remained true to the philosophical ideas presented. The science in Wrinkle in Time isn't our own, although L'Engle developed a science that was internally consistent. In a way, this does reflect the thinking of the time, which had some ideas which wouldn't be viewed as science later, and perhaps makes it seem as a bit hippy-dippy. However, read now it comes across as an inherently optimistic that love is a force with a measurable effect, that personal connections can cross the universe and affect great change. This is a film that rests on its sincerity. It's honest about what it is, without being sarcastic or cutesy or twee.

I've got to say, I really dig that.

5/5

• Like 2

I thought it was a pretty solid adaptation (from what I remember about the book, anyway). I liked  its spirit, appreciated the more intimate character-driven moments (which I thought DuVernay nailed), and thought it was surprisingly beautiful and emotional at times. 

I have a few quibbles — mainly around production/costume choices and a certain aesthetic I wouldn’t have gone for — but overall it’s a very sweet, uplifting movie with a great message. 

B+ range

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

It's occasionally beautiful and interesting in a bizzare wtf way but such a giant mess. I haven't read the book so I don't know if I'm missing something, but why everyone talked in inspirational quotes? It was a nothingburger of a movie in the end, almost nothing about it worked. 

A Wrinkle in Time is wildly ambitious for a first attempt at live-action blockbuster filmmaking, both from its writer, Jennifer Lee, and director, Ava DuVernay. Of the two, Lee stumbles more - her background in animation is clear as a lot of the dialogue is remarkably blunt, and she seems much more comfortable as the film gets deeper and deeper into the fantastic realms. DuVernay's direction remains engaging, delivering some truly disturbing imagery to this tale.

Reid is subtly very good, heartbreakingly believable as a child that's suffering some form of depression after an assumed death of her father. Pine makes the most of his small screentime, and the cast is uniformly excellent. The film overall feels like a fever dream, constantly delivering trippy imagery anchored by a strong character arc. This is the type of film that would've given me nightmares as a child, and that's what I appreciate about it most. It all heads up to a third act that is richly emotional and darkly ambitious. A Wrinkle in Time is very messy as a film, but this dimension-hopping narrative is the rare blockbuster that has to be seen to be believed, a children's movie that jumps out of any box it almost gets forced into. This is what big-budget cinema should be. B