The Wild Eric

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

Some years can only get one A+ CinemaScore, some years top out at around two, and here we are with 2 A+ scores in the same weekend.  for the record:

2010:

Tangled

The King’s Speech

2011:

Soul Surfer

Courageous

Dolphin Tale

The Help

2012:

The Avengers

Argo

2013:

Instructions Not Included

Best Man Holiday

Frozen

2014:

Lone Survivor

2015:

American Sniper

Selma

Woodlawn

2016:

Miracles from Heaven

Queen of Katwe

2017:

Hidden Figures

Patriots Day

Girls Trip

Wonder

Coco

2018 so far:

Black Panther

Love, Simon

I Can Only Imagine

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I wonder which of ICOI and LS will be the leggier movie. The former is from a genre with an exceptionally loyal fanbase and its limited screen count should help it in the weeks to come. The latter caters to a demo that will go see a movie numerous times and has a strong enough critical reception to attract general, adult audiences. I honestly do not know which one will win the battle of the multipliers.

A+ Cinemascore movies are a rare breed (all things considered) but to have two of them released during the same weekend is surely unprecedented.

Love Simon definitely. I Can Only Imagine has some competition for Christian audiences over the next two weeks even if Easter should soften the drop.

7 minutes ago, commendable said:

I think we have two box office surprises in our midst. watch them either over perform this weekend or have insane holds

I put it in the other thread, but the timing for Love, Simon might end up hurting it.  

Not only is there a lot of younger skewing PG-13 competition in the next 3-4 weeks, but like it or not the Easter Holiday might actually hurt it.  Same sort of thing happened over Christmas to Call Me By Your Name and how that bottomed out on some level because a lot of people gay and straight are with family for that weekend and most families won't choose that to go to with all the other options out at the same time.  

Either way, hope it finds a way to stick around. Maybe it can become the second mega legs hit for Fox in the last few months.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yes, I imagine Midnight Sun, God’s Not Dead 3, Chappaquiddick, and The Miracle Season are really gonna hurt it.

Looks like you left off another 4-5 movies there on purpose, sport.  

11 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I put it in the other thread, but the timing for Love, Simon might end up hurting it.  

Not only is there a lot of younger skewing PG-13 competition in the next 3-4 weeks, but like it or not the Easter Holiday might actually hurt it.  Same sort of thing happened over Christmas to Call Me By Your Name and how that bottomed out on some level because a lot of people gay and straight are with family for that weekend and most families won't choose that to go to with all the other options out at the same time.  

Either way, hope it finds a way to stick around. Maybe it can become the second mega legs hit for Fox in the last few months.  

Image result for confused gif

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Queen of Katwe's A+ cinemascore really helped it become a hit...oh wait and minute, no it didn't. It flopped.

Disney dumped it in 1200 theaters with very little marketing and did their best to make sure no one knew of its existence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Queen of Katwe's A+ cinemascore really helped it become a hit...oh wait and minute, no it didn't. It flopped.

That movie had like no promotion at all. 

I have not seen any proof that attached trailers help other movies at the box office. I have no idea why that myth is believed. Black Panther will have a good drop because the word of mouth is good and it hasn't had any real competition. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I dunno why they'd dump a film with universally good reactions and two recognizable stars. Couldn't figure out the marketing or something, I guess.