Eric Prime

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

40 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Would not be surprised with a strong boost today thanks to new Infinity War trailer. 

Does anyone go see films just to see a new trailer? I thought that went out with the advent of YouTube and Apple Trailers. 

1 minute ago, Talkie said:

Does anyone go see films just to see a new trailer? I thought that went out with the advent of YouTube and Apple Trailers. 

I don't think thats what their implying. The trailer might entice people to see the only MCU film still in theaters for the first time or again. Especially since Wakanda is heavily featured in the trailer at least

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Is a major religious holiday really a negative for it? It seems like a definite net positive to me - aren't the Easter holidays typically good for all movies as people are off work and can go to the movies? The really devoutly religious are probably not likely to check out a film like 'Love, Simon', but for everyone else it represents time off work/school, which is good for all films.

Peace,

Mike

It usually is a negative in the sense that people are more often with their family and go to movies together as a family and Love, Simon is going to be down on the list when it comes to that.  For example, Call Me By Your Name took a huge dip right leading up to and on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and then recovered very nicely as soon as people weren't with their family.  

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

It usually is a negative in the sense that people are more often with their family and go to movies together as a family and Love, Simon is going to be down on the list when it comes to that.  For example, Call Me By Your Name took a huge dip right leading up to and on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and then recovered very nicely as soon as people weren't with their family.  

any numbers for any movie?

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Why would a family not wanna see Love Simon?  Because it’s a film about someone who’s gay?  That doesn’t make sense

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I hear what you're saying, as there are a good slew of younger skewing PG-13 films opening, but I don't think most of the coming releases really represent significant competition or overlap in the target demo. A crowd pleasing gay romantic comedy like Love, Simon I think would have room to breathe.

The bigger films in the coming couple weeks like Pacific Rim, Sherlock Gnomes, and Ready Player One I think all represent distinctly different demos. Midnight Sun may have some overlap, but it looks to me like it will be opening with very small numbers (boxoffice.com's projection is a $6M opening - not sure what tracking is at). 

'Love, Simon' feels distinct enough that it can ride with some great legs. And as much as I loved CMBYN, I don't think it is a good comparison. It is much more of an arthouse type of gay film than something like 'Love, Simon' which seems a whole lot more mainstream and accessible.

But we all may be getting a little ahead of ourselves here- let's actually see how it does this weekend to see where it's starting at. If it does have a strong Friday number, and a good internal multiplier for the weekend with good WOM, maybe it will be a weekend closer to $20M than most people thought. *shrug*

Peace,

Mike

Friday's number is looking to be around $5m for Love, Simon.  I am pretty sure that includes the $850k from last weekend and $850k from Thursday previews.  That means it did about $3.3m on Friday, so even if it has a fantastic increase to around $5m on Saturday, it is still looking at around $13.5m or less for the weekend.  

That puts it at #5 for the weekend.  Next weekend even though the other wide releases aren't direct competition, it still likely slips down to #6 or #7 on the chart and then over Easter it could stay around #7 or slip further.  

It is going to be hanging more towards the back end of the Top 10, and that is before it even hits April 6th when both of those releases are going to do very well.  

Long story short, as I have said for weeks and weeks it could have a nice multiplier, but to get to the $100m+ that many were hoping it will take 7.5x multiplier or better.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Friday's number is looking to be around $5m for Love, Simon.  I am pretty sure that includes the $850k from last weekend and $850k from Thursday previews.  That means it did about $3.3m on Friday, so even if it has a fantastic increase to around $5m on Saturday, it is still looking at around $13.5m or less for the weekend.  

Last week’s advance screenings don’t count for the film’s OD

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Why would a family not wanna see Love Simon?  Because it’s a film about someone who’s gay?  That doesn’t make sense

Yeah, unfortunately you hit the nail on the head.  The vast majority of families in North America are going to put Love, Simon very last on the list during Easter weekend.  

Even more progressive families that have absolutely no problem with someone being gay or even with gay members of their family are still very likely to opt for other choices first.  

It is unfortunate, but that is the reality for the most part.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I get what you're saying, and you could be right - though again I would suggest that CMBYN is really not a good comparison, because I don't think a melancholy arthouse type film like CMBYN was ever going to play to family audiences in a broad sense. I think 'Love, Simon' has that potential - as what seems like a film that could be a crowd pleasing and heartwarming film that catches on. But I could see it going in the opposite direction, as you suggest.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I dunno why they'd dump a film with universally good reactions and two recognizable stars. Couldn't figure out the marketing or something, I guess.

http://deadline.com/2016/08/queen-of-katwe-faith-based-marketing-disney-plan-1201810960/

Not going all in right away about selling it to the faith audience and being between 2 chair maybe ?

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Thank you for this. If 'Love, Simon' is looking at $5M for Friday, and that includes both previews from last weekend and Thursday, then you're right, that's only a 'true' Friday of $3.3M, suggesting a low teens opening weekend. This could probably make it more difficult to hang around longer - but who knows, I would really love to be surprised.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

Also, if that is correct the sneaks from last weekend aren't rolling in for Love, Simon then I think it will hit around $4.4m for Friday with Thursday previews and $3.55m without.  

Might hit around $12m for the weekend or so it seems like.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BoilingHotCoffee said:

Deadline has been really awfully slow with their late night updates the past few weekends

They are just not feeling Tomb Raider and couldn't give two hoots about how much it is racking up. :sparta:

Simon did our equivalent of 3.45M at my theatre tonight (no previews so this was just true Friday). Tomb Raider bombed with 5.6M

Sparrow opened really well considering it's 2 weeks off release. Our equivalent of 5.9M, beating both other openers. My crowd was full of JUST old people, and a lot of them were actually talking about Jennifer Lawrence before the show started. It was a sad if she was Meryl Streep or something

Deadline update:

http://deadline.com/2018/03/tomb-raider-black-panther-love-simon-box-office-weekend-1202339172/

Black Panther: $29M

Tomb Raider: $23.1M

I Can Only Imagine: $14M

Love, Simon: $12M

No actual Friday numbers yet from what I can see, though says "Chart Coming...".

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Deadline update:

http://deadline.com/2018/03/tomb-raider-black-panther-love-simon-box-office-weekend-1202339172/

Black Panther: $29M

Tomb Raider: $23.1M

I Can Only Imagine: $14M

Love, Simon: $12M

No actual Friday numbers yet from what I can see, though says "Chart Coming...".

Peace,

Mike

Infinity war boosted BP 😄

• Like 1