SLAM!

A.X.L. | August 24th, 2018 | Global Road (formerly known as Open Road) | Alex Neustaedter, Becky G, Lucy Hale | Sci-Fi Family Adventure film

Global Road - formerly known as Open Road - has officially dated a new science fiction called A.X.L., which is based on a short film by new director Oliver Daly. Box Office Mojo is currently listing its genre as 'Family Adventure', and the site is placing it under both the 'cyborg/android/robot' and 'dog' categories.

Here is a synopsis that I found:

• AXL is the story of a teenage boy whose life is forever altered by a chance encounter with cutting edge military technology. 18 year old Miles is searching for a way out of his small California town. But when he stumbles upon A.X.L., an escaped prototype of an advanced robot, he finds himself in an unlikely friendship, and the target of a massive manhunt that puts him and everyone he cares about in danger. AXL is a movie about growing up, finding first love, and what lies beyond the boundaries of humanity and technology.

It sounds a little bit like 'what if E.T. was a robot', but that's just me. The concept certainly has potential... if it's well executed, that is.

A.X.L. is currently slated to release against Mirror/LD's drama Dog Days, Warner Bros' shark film The Meg, and MGM's Anne Hathaway / Rebel Wilson comedy The Hustle.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 2

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=&release=&date=2018-08-03&showweeks=5&p=.htm

The family sci-fi film A.X.L. shifted its release date down two weeks; it is now releasing on August 24th against Entertainment Studios' Replicas and Screen Gems' Slender Man; there is a slight genre similarity against Replicas, but overall, I feel like it is a nice call to stand in a single weekend as the only family film. Though the real battle is against Lionsgate's child-starring sci-fi film Kin, which opens on the following weekend. Will one topple the other? Or will they coexist? That'll depend on their quality.

Edited by Slambros

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

So there has to be some drug money involved with this, right? Something is wrong here. Becky G hasn’t even posted about this movie online yet.

If only TOG were here to complain about the existence of this obvious Monster Trucks rip-off.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I'm really thinking this will get a sub-1k PTA 

This movie hasn't been promoted at all. I discovered it by accident when I was looking for a Jason Statham movie called Blitz ( old movie ). Somehow the trailer for this robot dog movie popped in and I got curious and surprised to notice this thing is getting released next week XD

15 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This movie hasn't been promoted at all. I discovered it by accident when I was looking for a Jason Statham movie called Blitz ( old movie ). Somehow the trailer for this robot dog movie popped in and I got curious and surprised to notice this thing is getting released next week XD

The trailer bombed at my showing of The Meg on Friday.

• Haha 1