cookie

Cookie’s Corner Year 3

Fatal Rendezvous

...I'm a sucker for @4815162342 crime movies, I will admit.

And this is no different. Seriously, this was rad. Very Shane Black-esque in a few spots despite one of the Nolans directing, and that to me is always a good sign. Downey is slimy in the way only Downey can be, Ruffalo is likable, Pierce is surprisingly intense and for as little as Pacino has he leaves a lasting impression. There are nitpicks I can make, such as a few plot holes and the fact that Downey skimps out on the third act, but they are just that, nitpicks.

I mean it's not the best movie of the year but it's one of them.

A-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dazzled - The "love potion" genre died for a reason. D+

Miraculous - A cute family romp even if the kiddy romance stuff is more engaging than the superhero parts. Although, J.K Simmons is fun as the bad guy. B/B-

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

My Peoples

Opening short Clayboy: Probably the best one Endless Animation's done so far mainly because of the artistry at play.

Movie: Not sure what changed or if I just warmed up to it but it's way better than I remember the pre-read version being. I guess it's because Angel bailing felt more justified this time around and Elgin and Rose aren't just Romeo and Juliet archetypes. Couple that with some very sweet songs this is Endless Animation's strongest work yet and a fine outing for Valentine's.

B+

• Like 2

Kim Possible

I'm very much familiar with the series (used to watch it all the time on the Disney Channel back in grade school) so I didn't have any trouble following it but starting by adaptating the (intended) series finale is a confusing choice all things considered. It's not like Bounty Hamster started with the pair already out adventuring in space, or Voltron starting with Rise of Lotor. You're just leaving anyone unfamiliar with the series totally lost.

In addition, the movie makes a MAJOR casting fuck up by having 16-year old Sophia Lillis date 25-year old Stony Blyden for most of the movie. I know the character isn't supposed to be that old (and turns out to be a robot later) but somebody should've checked this stuff at least.

But Dafoe and Gillian are ideal casting as Drakken and Shego (they were always my favorite part of the show) so it's not all bad. Plus if you do know the show it hits all the beats it needs to.

B-/C+

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SoulCalibur - C+

RuPaul's Best Friend Race - Why is this in theaters? Why isn't it on television where it belongs? F

Penguins - Not as effective as Gorillas but solid all the same. B

The man screams in agony, and the panicked mother opens the front flap on the tent just in time to see his mutilated corpse being dragged out of view by some unseen beast. She zips up the tent - as if that will help - 

Ayyy

However, Karyn quickly catches on to the fact that the crazed fan is stalking her on her walk home. She calls the police but is told all units in the area are too busy to be called away for something like this.

dVDJiez.gif?noredirect

• Like 1

The Howling

A very solid remake in spite of it taking a while to get some werewolf action and the movie having its share of WHAT moments.

And THAT EPIC END TWIST

B+

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

Conductive - That 70s Show is God in this universe apparently. B-/C+

Indigenous - Well that escalated fast. Here I thought we were getting something serious but instead it's just a silly monster movie. C-

Things Fall Apart - Started out hinting at the prospects of a good commentary on toxic masculinity but instead switched gears to be about white settlers. Feels like it's lacking focus. C+

Doom - C+ (the + is for Bruce Campbell)

Howling Commandos - Very much all over the place, in part because it takes almost half of the movie before we get a clear picture of most of the Commandos. Not bad but just serviceable. C+

Uglies - C

Nerdy - C

Battletoads

Opening short The Black Sheep: A fairly amusing slapstick cartoon that'll entertain most audiences.

Movie: Slapstick cartoon action and amusing one-liners all around. Not too much I can say about it after that although the Jumanji lifting was a little unnecessary.

B