cookie

Cookie’s Corner Year 3

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

About twenty minutes into Bridge to Anna Kendrick-a @Isle of Pasta

So far not noticing anything different so I'm kinda skimming it until I find something I don't recognize.

It mainly comes later, and the changes are kinda small. Lots of grammatical fixes.

Notes From The Otherspace

Had to take a little time

Little time to think things over

Had to read between the lines

In case I need it for the folder

Now this review I must chime

Feels like the world upon your shoulders

Through the clouds I see Meg shine

Beats the Hugh for my top holder

In her life

There's been heartache and pain

I don't know

If she could face it again

Can't stop now

I've read two times far

To have it all be riiiiiiiight

You wanna what know love iiiiiisssss

Allow me to show theeee

You were praising Shuriii

Now let me praise Kendriiiick

You had fixed everythiiiing (I knooow)

Everything I showed theeee

No more brain farts found heereeeee

It's all really soliiiiid

A

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Chrysalids

I'm sorry, I can't pronounce the word Waknuk without snickering a bit every single time. Just needed to get that out of the way.

What would be the best way to describe this movie? I mean it's based off a book, which I've never read so I can't say how it follows the book or not. It's a bit of an odd, but ultimately intriguing experience. The overall cast does pretty well, Del Toro's direction is superb as you'd expect, and it goes in some interesting directions even if I feel they don't all pay off like I'd like them to.

If there's two major flaws, the first would be that the world building is pretty wobbly and it's honestly not easy to keep track of all the pieces. Like I said, I never read the book, but like with any adaptation of something I haven't seen or read I assume the source material makes more sense of it. The movie kinda throws a lot of stuff at you which doesn't get really get elaborated or developed on, which is a shame because the stuff with the Deviances and why the villagers see them as a threat is done fairly effectively.

The other flaw would be the ending, mainly because... it's kinda confusing? Not in a "What. The. Fuck." kind of sense but more in a "Uuh, okay?". Felt like I was missing a few pages.

And this doesn't really impact the grade or anything but calling it a horror movie is a misnomer from my vantage point. It's more of a dark drama with an action beat at the end, there's not anything I could make out as really scary.

So I guess the verdict is that it's a fairly good period fantasy, wobbly in parts but ultimately hangs together on the intrigue and direction alone.

B+

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cataclysmic

To make sure I don't come across as insensitive to the real people who lost their lives to the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo, the second largest of the 20th century, I Googled some of the names of the characters in the movie to make sure they weren't based on real people. From what I could find, they were not.

I'm mentioning this because there are quite a few moments where the stubbornness of the lead characters when told over and over again to evacuate and they keep refusing gets on one's nerves after a bit. The native refusing to leave his homeland I could understand, but Emily's sole motivation for not getting out the way being to advance her own career does make her come across as pretty selfish, not even mentioning the way she appears to rather dismissively treat her mother for the majority of the runtime. In this movie's defense, Emily's mother does call her out on it.

Jennifer Lawrence's performance still makes her the standout since she's good or even great in a crowd of serviceable. Affleck really gets the short end of the stick here, being mostly about exposition and once shit hits the fan he vanishes for a good chunk of the film completely. The supporting cast also do fine, and while Pfieffer is two-dimensional at most you get to feel what she's going through.

I was starting to wonder why this doesn't work to the same level as something like White Hurricane or The Towering Inferno did and I think I have answers for both: White Hurricane is a drama-thriller about rival families and racism first and a disaster movie second, and The Towering Inferno is all about watching capable people deal with a situation quickly spiraling about of control. The methodical nature of the latter made you feel like you were a part of the efforts to contain the fire and rescue people, which I didn't really get with Cataclysmic.

Does that make it bad? Not at all; it's very well-made on a technical level and once the disaster hits it's some very intense stuff, the kind that made films like White Hurricane and Towering Inferno into the successes they were. I just think it's just decent outside of the pyrotechnics. Not like that will stop it from making a killing.

B

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Yeah no worries @cookie all the characters are fictional. I mentioned that back in the Magazine thread a while back but that thing moves so fast it's easy to miss.

I tend to avoid making criticisms about character behavior when they're based on real people, but if the movie were to portray them badly that can piss me off a lot more (which is why I fucking hate movies like Into the Wild and have nothing but venom leveled at how Titanic decided to portray that first officer), so it's a risky trade.

Creating fictional characters was the best way to go.

Edited by cookie

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

I tend to avoid making criticisms about character behavior when they're based on real people, but if the movie were to portray them badly that can piss me off a lot more (which is why I fucking hate movies like Into the Wild), so it's a risky trade.

Creating fictional characters was the best way to go.

I mean I haven't seen the Into the Wild movie. But from reading the book I would pretty much say Chris Mccandless was a shit bag

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean I haven't seen the Into the Wild movie. But from reading the book I would pretty much say Chris Mccandless was a shit bag

The book it was based on supposedly twisted around with a lot of facts too.

Watching the movie I refused to believe the real Mccandless was that insufferable.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1