cookie

Cookie’s Corner Year 3

The neighbor explains that she went down to the scene and says that the shed was destroyed. She says she doesn’t believe the cops. Marty’s mother asks her what she thinks it was then. The neighbor says, “Something evil.” and leaves. 

This made me laugh harder than it should.

• Like 1

Cycle of the WerewolfEntertaining in a semi-cheesy way in spite of and sometimes because of the Stephen King silliness. Lieberher is pretty good here. B-

Gentle Ben - C+

The Exorcism of Jessica Winters - An Exorcist wannabe whose one interesting angle is the love story C+

• Like 1

God of War - Snyder snyders into a snydering and it is (sometimes) glorious. Could've benefited from a much shorter runtime though. B-

51 - C

Hope-Fear-Adventure - So apparently Jack went to the woods for a week and his parents just didn't give a shit. Oddly novel approach to a family film, I suppose. C+

Ice Station

* phone rings *

Hello, who is this?

"It's me, stupid!"

2.0 me! Where are you even?!

"I'm trying to drive past the Pharaoh's palace, but all these slaves are blocking the road singing about how their lord will "deliver them" or some shit like that. * car horn * Hey crybabies, get off the road!"

...Okay? Why did you call me?

"I did the sequel to this one in 2.0 and it was horrible! Is the predecessor any better?"

Not really. Just kind of a dumb Statham action movie. And then mutant elephant seals show up out of nowhere.

"So it doesn't explain why in the sequel the President had the nuclear codes operated into him for no reason?"

What?

"Oh good, they're whipping the slaves off the road. Gotta go!"

D+

Silent Hill: Innocence Lost

Since we're reviewing a Silent Hill movie, we need the scariest music possible for this:

Onto the review.

I can see why this gets the praise that it does, I'm just not entirely on that level myself. It's mainly because it still falls into that video game fetch quest trapping a lot of other adaptations in CAYOM do, although not to the same degree as something like Bioshock. It makes it feel like the movie is stretching its heels a bit especially going into the third act, but when the god-thing shows up it's very suspenseful and well executed.

The cast is good, not great. Theron is probably the best of the bunch mainly because she has the answers and is generally creepy and weird. I honestly found Laurie to be a bit all over the place, which I guess was the intent. Ackles serves as the reliable straight man and even if he himself isn't all that interesting it's really more about the sights and sounds than it is about any deep character exploration.

Speaking of that, it's all very well executed technically. While there are their share of jumpscares, sometimes silly ones at that, the most effective elements are the atmosphere and the build up, as any good horror movie should have. Faithfulness to the source material has been a boon and a curse to many video game adaptations, here outside of the somewhat repetitive plotting it's mainly a boon.

Minor note: I know he doesn't show up until the second game, but major missed opportunity in not bringing in Pyramid Head in some capacity. Everything can be improved with Pyramid Head.

B+

• Like 1